Oddometer: 24,470
Hows the leg?

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #107
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,812
Oy, it feckin hurts! got me a permanent rod through my right leg and am doin my pt exercises. I've found that if you actually do everything the therapists suggest you heal pretty darn well, being 28 also helps. Now I'm sweating because progressive doesn't cover my body, just their ass by whomever I may hurt..... And my health insurance said they don't cover automobile/motorcycle accidents so I'm pretty nervous. Calling HR because that just doesn't make sense.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #108
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

better broke then broken my friend.. You'll make more money tomorrow

Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #109
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Quite right, and it turns out the moron on the phone thought I meant my bike, not me.

Measly ride report to follow, we all know how it ends anways

As a reminder, the purpose of the trip, besides pure fun, was to verify Canuman's NNEAT trail that connects the trans eastern trail to a gravel route in Canada.

devo2002 screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 01:19 PM
devo2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #110
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Old 09-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #111
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Ride report(s)

I guess this ride report will be like Momento or Crash, I'll give my account and others will hopefully chime in as my pics are few.

The Inmates

Rich (8gv), shamelessly stolen pic from his TET ride

Anton (AtlasExp)

And myself

The trip started with a very boring trailer ride up to Sutton, VT on Friday. Anton and I were hoping to leave by 10am from NYC, but it turned into 3pm as Anton's friend graciously messed up his electronics when installing the Garmin power supply to the TW200. Now getting a late start from Brooklyn, it took Anton 3-4 hours to get to Yonkers

If anyone is wondering how a Hyundai Accent hatchback performed loaded with two people, gear, and a trailer carrying two DS bikes...the answer is...Marvelous Manual tranny also helped I'm sure. (insert Kenbot joke here)

We got to the Palace of the People's just around 1. We went straight out back and slept in the Finnish Sauna.

The next morning we meet our host, Tim (Canuman), and proceeded to shoot the shit for a few hours while we pack and load the bikes. I brought up a crapper that I didn't test out as I missed the Rednek Rendezvous. I can't wait to use it next time....NOT

Anton had packed nearly everything you could imagine, from an air pump for the mattress to a shovel, axe, and saw! He was testing out his gear for longer, more serious trips, like the Canol road in Canada. This guy knows how to test gear and how to really test the patience of REI's money back guarantee. These Russians know their stuff, I'm glad he was on board.

While waiting for Rich, who trailered separately, Tim gave me a track from the Rednek routes as a warmup. There is nothing quite like that first time you lift up your kickstand at the start of the journey. Amazing scenery and endless trails, Tim lives in a perfect land.

Rich and Tim, after getting aquianted, quickly realized their joint passion for flying. While listening to their conversation, I circled them testing out slow speeds with my added gear (got down to 40lbs surprisingly, but need bigger panniers as it was noticeably more top heavy).

Left circles....check
Right circles...first spill of the journey

Tim let me know first hand why some bikes are woods weapons, the KDX200 is surely one of those!!

After we each roosted his long driveway, we were off!

We soon stopped for some energy and drainage. Right after we pulled in came the pirates, but we were unphased as we watched them paddle around the gas station like it was the MSF course.

We were expecting rain but as it was a turning out to be a nice night we decided to cook up some steaks with corn and beans. I like Rich's idea of starting the trip of right, it may not get any better.

6 pieces of fresh corn for 2 bucks

We stayed at the Aziscohos family campground, run by a pleasant old couple. They only charge $5 a person! Wood was great for burning and we received a good quantity for $4...we bought two. We have no idea how they make any money of the place, they own quite a few acres and impecable facilities. Even had charmin toilet paper

It's time to turn your attention to my inadequate bivy. Rookie mistake number one, bring a comfortable two person tent. I tested it out earlier in the year with Speedo and it did the job in good weather.....bad weather? Miserable...the worst part is I had a perfectly good Eureka Backcountry 2 sitting in my car but I ditched it to save weight.

I'm ashamed at my tarp skills, rookie mistake two was not knowing any good knots. I practiced them before I left but they just didn't stick.

I made due and hoped for the best. Rich pointed out that I was sober while I set the darn thing up.

Anton was showing us his stuff, one of which was....I dunno, but I think he was doing it wrong.

Returning after dark from picking up three very large steaks, Rich started up the fire. We charred the steaks and our only seasoning was rust, salt, rust, and more salt. The fire was too large and we were impatient to wait for some good coals. I was still quite content to eat a good meal. Rich blamed his upset stomach for days on that darn corn, while I however, thought the cooked parts were quite good

After some beer drinking and whiskey swigging it began to drizzle so I slithered into my bivy.

3 hours later I'm awake to find that I'm cold, wet, hungover, and have the urge to pee. Now for those who haven't used a bivy, you have to get in feet first. This makes it very hard to get out and not touch the wet ground. My stuff was dry under the tarp, but the water weighed it down so it was touching the top of my bivy...which meant if i touched the sides, which is impossible not to do, you get wet. Let's just say I sat there repeating the mantra "I will buy a new tent tomorrow I don't care how much it costs, I will buy a new tent tomorrow I don't care how much it costs." for a few hours until the sun scared off the night.

More later...

devo2002 screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 01:18 PM
Old 09-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #112
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post

What the.. Ohhh Im in on the next one..I gotta see this in person

Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #113
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
For the record....

I long ago coined a term to describe the strong desire to go pee as mitigated by the equally strong desire to stay warm in the sleeping bag:

PEEquilibrium
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #114
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Was up there in the Fj that weekend, didn't see anyone on two wheels though!
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #115
devo2002 OP
-Devo

We hit Aziscohos Saturday night and Greenville Monday night, maybe next time you can join on your F800
Old 10-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #116
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Day 2

After managing to sleep for a few hours I woke up hungover and cold....still. As soon as the rain ceased I emerged from my coffin

I was very jealous to hear someone snoring, still don't know if it was Anton or Rich. One warm shower later, and once my body decided to accept water again, I was feeling much better.

A quick dry rest with Anton didn't hurt either

No matter how cold the morning, Anton was wearing his underwear around while I was bundled.

Looking at Anton and Rich's tent setup brought back a mantra I had learned just a few hours ago, what was it? Oh yeah, "I will buy a new tent tomorrow I don't care how much it costs"

The second day started a little chillier and it was time for Rich to dress-up as a snow man, and that is how he remained for the rest of the trip.

The first leg was on a gravel logging road.

I will buy a better camera for my next trip, I promise

We got off track eventually while just enjoying the road. After realizing once off route, my GPS likes to reroute the entire rest of the way via the most direct route...

Now Rich had a mantra all his own you see. It is quite simple...."Fried Clams" Everywhere we went to eat, "Do they have fried clams?"

At this point we were pretty far off track. We could either get to Eustis in 20 minutes or backtrack a mile and try to head north to reconnect with Tim Pond Road. We all agreed bushwacking was the better idea. So we pulled out my mangled delorme paper map and tried the dotted lines that might make it up to Tim Pond.

Alot of Delorme's dotted "roads" usually abruptly ended miles from nowhere like below.Before the trip we were unsure of the cowboy camping situation but after riding around it was clear, you could camp just about anywhere and have a grand ole' time. It was on the agenda.

Anton was liking the bear poop, and it may be the most colorful shot of the whole trip!

I'm very good at falling while going 0 mph.

It was around 4:30 and we still had not connected to Tim Pond Road, we figured we could just take it on the way back
While managing to still take a road less traveled we came across a large quary.

Before the campground we stopped for one more picture.

We stayed the night on Flagstaff Lake, a large reservoir that contains what used to be the town of Flagstaff. Riding in the offseason has its perks, best views and usually cheaper rates. The portion of wood was getting smaller however, $4 for like 5 pieces of wood...come on

Anton remedied the high prices of wood with an enormous yule log that hardly burned at all and I threw into the lake the next morning as to not be cited for violating the rules.

I called and went to local outfitters throughout the day while getting jabs about my tent from the gang, but nobody had a bikeable tent. It would be the coffin for me, this time dipping into the low 30's overnight. It was clear skies and we were under an umbrella of pine trees so tonight should be better. Rich's $30 Coleman tent didn't stand up to the rain of the night before, so he acted as a dryer overnight for the wet things in his tent.

Rich had to document every meal, which leads me to my next observation. His sweet tooth was second to none. And I know a lot of you are saying "yeah right, I love sweets". Well take a seat there Tonto, because Rich would eat hostess snowballs and M&Ms for breakfast. I guess if his mother could smoke for 60+ years and quit in her late 80's he figured he had the genetics to achieve sugar levels not seen in other humans.

Rich would take it easy for dinner and only do Chef Boyardee, just like my Momma would never make for me because she is Italian.
[IMG][/IMG]

Anton was addicted to the tuna salad with crackers, I was beginning to get worried.

After some Naragansett beers it was off to bed.

devo2002 screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 05:10 PM
Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #117
GirlRyder
Queen of Flugistan

Oddometer: 1,588

GirlRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #118
devo2002 OP
-Devo

Day 3 - Monday

With the bivy facing the sunrise, I was blinded by light, all that could be seen was bright yellow. This combined with the manner, or rather the art, of birthing from the sack must have made quite a site for anyone to see

From the bivy.

The moisture turned to mist and immediately hid the sun

The sun finally won

I set off to the showers before everyone was awake and when I returned heard grumbling from Rich about how his clothes were finally dry but he was frozen, and Anton whining that he hates packing.

A duck must have known Rich had ritz crackers and cheese lying around, and even the whole wheat and cheddar, so he came hopping by for some of the action.

From there we made a pitstop for gas and Rich's breakfast, M&M's washed everything down, and Anton shipped some stuff home that would probably be returned to REI.

I was wondering how my leftover beers would handle the day, I wasn't willing to put it in my bag.

Afterwards it was a 15 mile slab ride to Goldbrook road, just a few from the border. A local retired sheriff who is also an active rider confirmed the route was good beforehand at the post office, so we felt confident.

It was a good 45 miles of gravel east to the West Forks. We stuck to the NNEAT route all day, and it was good idea

Knowing what camera was used is easy on this report
Me - blurry
Rich - same quality less blurry
Anton - the shots with the most saturation, he had a real camera

There were hundreds of turn offs that with one exception lead to a dead end. Rich could smell the fresh moose crap by the shore, and everyone could once I dropped my helmet in it.

a logging trail that went on for a good ways ended with a huge amount of wood perfect for camping, and a view as well

A beaver ended this route, a wonder how long it takes to bite one down

Also near here and the lake above was a picnic table and around the corner was some outdoor games, archery and others. We saw a house on the other side of the lake, and after pondering how the hell someone lives out here, figured it was probably that guy's.

We only came across one logging truck near the west side of Goldbrook and we happened to be on a pee break. They go slow but definitely take up most of the road, be careful on this one

Halfway through we saw our first moose, a baby separated from its mother. Next thing you know there are three people on bikes filming this friggin' thing; Rich in front, Anton next, and me behind pretty much out of shot. I'm hoping Rich posts up his video of the moose incident as it went on for at least half a mile (nudge nudge wink wink)

Anton said he tested his boots before the trip, they seemed to be OK

By the time we got to the Forks it was 4:50. We stopped as a last ditch effort into the local place that called themselves an outfitter, but was a really a restaurant. Shoot, if I have to sleep one more night in that thing I may go crazy.

4:54

"Hey Rich, think we can make it to Greenville tonight" Said I
"Sure thing, I hope they have fried clams and spaghetti!"

I start calling outfitters there

4:57 first shop doesn't have a tent

4:59 Northwoods Outfitters in Greenville has the perfect 2-person tent for me, hell Anton even tried it previously, and agreed to leave it out back under the kayaks. I was in heaven

With the sun at our backs we have to now make tracks if we are to get out of the woods by nightfall. Not dangerously fast, but not dilly-dally. Speaking of which, the 3 of us are probably the slowest riders on the planet. We took turns exploring and always had to double back. This is what was the most fun, while the initial idea of the trip was to verify the route Canuman put together, none of us were in a hurry to get there. At the end of day 2.5 we only went 180 miles

The terrain was tight logging routes with a good amount of slippery stuff. A good 5 miles of it was not even on the map and got tricky. We were finally seeing our mud puddles and baby-heads. We were concerned for Rich's front tire. While not life threatening, dealing with that now around 6:00pm was far from ideal. His rear was a Kenda DS something or other, but that front was bad. Maybe he can take a pic of it for us but every other rubber block on the center of his tire was gone so it was block, no block , block, no block. This happened before this trip, but nobody has any idea how

We performed almost flawlessly...no get offs, just smooth riding and good line picking. Rich's bash plate was totally worth it on at least one occasion We were playing it as safe as we could speed wise despite the time crunch. From what we did of the NNEAT, Forks to Greenville incorporates the best riding around

Nearly everyone we encountered along the way would tell us to stay off the roads at night, there be horny moose about! (well, not quite like that) The sun was setting fast as we saw not one but two way into the woods just west of Greenville. Rich was in back and didn't know why Anton was beeping, revving, and shouting for a hundred feet but I did. Two full grown moose just around the bend. I've never seen one before and wow, running into one of those at night would be really bad news! Good thing we were going slow. These two just ran off into the woods much easier than the baby earlier today.

Out of the clearing we scooted into Greenville as the final rays were going behind the mountains, so after grabbing the tent we picked the closest camp no matter what. The wood pile for sale was a joke, whatever of the wet wood shavings from the mill you could get into a paper bag. More foraging would be necessary.The campground was also right of the main road that, while quiet at night....eventually, was busy early in the morning. We didn't really care though, we reserved and at the owner's recommendation (and he seemed hesitant we were all on bikes at first) we hit the local pizza/deli place before it closed.

While eating our heroes from the deli the owner of the campground comes in and says he relocated our spot and gave us one farther away from the rest of the people (which were like 2). It happened to be right on the road Too tired to argue we set up camp and got the fire going. I had my brand new tent, which was really only for 1.5 people, and was relieved because rain was in our future. I learned my lesson, a good tent is essential.
Two beers made the day's journey, we had one casualty, and there was much rejoicing. For me, one of the best days of riding with friends to date.

And to think we had 4 more days of this
Old 10-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #119
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

This RR reminds me of a scary movie at the all night theatre. By now the readers are shouting at their screens "don't go there!" "look out!" "turn back!"

But, like the theatre, the audience has no effect on the story and it's outcome.

The big BOO! is coming, soon...

Feeling a little like Lincoln these days. I kind of wish we had left the theatre!

8gv screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 08:04 PM
Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #120
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

In the event that the reader is given the mistaken impression that I'm a clamoholic, I submit evidence of my varied diet.

A rider's breakfast: