Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #466
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Are the side tanks plastic or alloy?
The lower front tanks, as well as the rear tanks, all appear to be Welded Alloy.

I wonder if this is the long term solution, or just what they have used for prototyping, whilst waiting for the platic parts to come off-tool?

Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #467
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
100% valid, but I am sure Honda will be looking for both from their Dakar engine?
Ιf there's one thing that is universally proven, it's that HRC can build blindingly fast and reliable engines.

The rest of the package? Hmm not sure. I expect some hiccups in the set up department, if they ever leak...
Maybe their strategy will be to push and finish the race with just one engine & gain the 15 / 45 minute handicap over KTM.

Just thinking out loud
Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #468
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Ιf there's one thing that is universally proven, it's that HRC can build blindingly fast and reliable engines.

The rest of the package? Hmm not sure. I expect some hiccups in the set up department, if they ever leak...
Maybe their strategy will be to push and finish the race with just one engine & gain the 15 / 45 minute handicap over KTM.

Just thinking out loud

Well, they have tested in Morocco, California and Japan to date, are in Morocco next week of course and I have heard a small rumour that there could even be another 2 tests before the big one - so with all the refinement there should be no excuses in that department - especially as the HRC team will not believe until seen - a bit like being back at school for maths - the answer without the working out won't get full marks
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #469
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

One thing about the HRC that's been bugging me all this time...

no oil cooler? Increased oil capacity?

I was going through the BF bike pics, and this shot shows not only the increased oil volume reservoir (in front of the air filter), but also the oil cooler (not that you couldn't have guessed it was there by the screen on the front fairing anyway)

I see no evidence of either on the CRF... so is their motor bone stock in terms of oil capacity?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #470
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,113
Quote:
I was going through the BF bike pics, and this shot shows not only the increased oil volume reservoir (in front of the air filter), but also the oil cooler (not that you couldn't have guessed it was there by the screen on the front fairing anyway)
Hey Brodo...maybe BF should have equipped the bikes with an offset printer (and some euro 1000 bill engraved plates) as well...?

Or a GPS that recieves the latest NASDAQ and DOW JONES index updates and an up-link via the IrriTrak to an interest bearing Swiss bank account?

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #471
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

No, that's for my bike
Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #472
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
One thing about the HRC that's been bugging me all this time...

no oil cooler? Increased oil capacity?

I see no evidence of either on the CRF... so is their motor bone stock in terms of oil capacity?

Brodovitch

I bought from JCR honda the Scott dunleavy racing the beefed up radiator which comes with an extra oil cooler and oil capacity. It's the identical unit to what JCR run in the baja 1000 so perhaps they are getting extra oil capacity by tacking on small oil tanks under the radiators???

The other thing which baja designs used to make which I also have is a crf450r oil tank.

Those items combined with filling the engine and clutch with a litre each of go juice should be aok for the 450x rallye.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #473
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Well, they have tested in Morocco, California and Japan to date, are in Morocco next week of course and I have heard a small rumour that there could even be another 2 tests before the big one - so with all the refinement there should be no excuses in that department - especially as the HRC team will not believe until seen - a bit like being back at school for maths - the answer without the working out won't get full marks
Agreed

The EFI 450x has been doing the rounds of California for about 18 months now.

One other thing is that they could have flown a 450x to outback Australia and ridden it non stop for weeks on end in blinding dust without anyone knowing.

I'm sure true they could have also sat behind a road train for hours on end to simulate the worst possible dust known to man.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #474
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Sex on wheels!
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #475
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Hi guys,

Haven't peeked in ADV for q few weeks now, been busy over at the AUS Safari, didn't have the time to chime in. Just drove back from the Intermot and saw the new Honda, took many HQ pics which I'll upload tonight for you. Unfortunately didn't get to meet Helder and present to him my new RNS units that received awesome feedback down under!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #476
greglewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Anyone know what this tube might be?

The image is a still from the promo video

Looks like some filter material on end
It's for when the rider scares the piss and shit out of him (or her?) self!
greglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #477
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
OK guys, here the pics I took of the Honda yesterday. I'm uploading some better HQ ones to download for you, will take a while with this slow internet I have to live with!
Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Helder there, he was only there for the press conference the day before

Nav setup (not running RNS equipment, yet )

2 side tanks made of aluminium, surprised to not see a subframe replacement tank!

Left engine casing, new stator cover, fuel pump on the left side of the bash plate?

Closeup

Steering head support wleded on by factory

Nav tower made by Hélders mechanic, Miguel

Transparent front fairing with 2 headlights, 1 Xenon and 1 normal bulb

Side fuel tanks inspired by Hélders YZ from earlier this year. They have near active filler caps, filled through the maon front central one through the hose close to the radiator

Alu front tanks. IMHO, not the best solution. The early Yamaha Africa kit for the WR had tanks made of alu and the welded holes were prone to crack and leak at some point in time!

New clutch cover. Notice that all the screws are made of titanium, save weight where possible.

Also the low header has a lamda sensor indicating the bike is EFI!

Exhaust mounting

Nice suade seat cover!

Filler caps are "flush" with the top surface and don't stand out too much.

Nav equipment, still RNS stuff missing.

Larger foot pegs

Oil cooler mounted somewhere down below.

Big front rotor

Swingarm not extended?

Chain guide to prevent the side knobs from getting chewed away, nice!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:20 AM   #478
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,278
Great pics, and ---

Tetsuo Suzuki, President of Honda Racing Corporation (HRC) and Honda Motorcycle
R&D, said, “Our young engineers have created a race machine based on the CRF450X
production enduro bike. The Dakar Rally is a race that continues for two weeks
across the hardest terrain of three different countries. The Dakar Rally is extremely
long and extremely tough. This is a new challenge for us. Previously, we entered the
Dakar Rally with machines purpose-built for racing. This time, we are aiming for our
first victory in the Dakar Rally with a production-based machine.”

"Production-based"- now we know what that means, but what does it really mean?

too old screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 02:28 AM
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #479
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,059
Any clues on the 'sponsorship' of the Shindengen company?

For a bike that has very limited logos at all, they sure seem to be predominately displayed.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:38 AM   #480
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,196
Tony, thanks for these, excellent stuff and also a few spots looking a little vulnerable, the AN fitting for the supposed oil cooler being one. A nice center hit to the bash plate doesn't give much room to absorb it before impacting that line fitting.

Also, I wonder if the tanks aren't still in development. It's not like plastic subframes are that new, it's surprising to not see one here but I haven't seen any recent patent filings by Honda for anything similar.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote