Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #241
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
What Ohlins setup do you have and where did you get it at, plus what is your weight? I haven't had any problems with mine from Fastbikes (NIX kit) shy of a few adjustments and an oil adjustment. Of course if I get silly I can get it close to bottoming out but haven't yet and I have jumped some gnarly things. Your suspension sounds based on what you describe to be under sprung and poor valving.
I had a long winded reply but it got lost in the ether.

You haven't had problems with yours. That's great.

Mine sucks big hairy balls. Ohlins is cheap shit. They sell a standard off the shelf shock that isn't set up for anything. Basic riding, basic weight. Despite asking me all about weight and riding style, which was futile and pointless. It took several revalves to get it anywhere near right, and it still sucks balls. No bottom out valving. Fuck me, even the standard Sachs works better as far as bottom out goes.

It has the heaviest rear spring on the Ohlins list, 22kg/mm. It still sucks hairy dogs balls.

It was set up by the same guy who has done 3 dirt bikes for me and they've all been perfect. He went to Le Mans to do suspension work for the last 24 hour. He knows what he's doing.

I stopped short of spending money on replacing the internals of the front end. Because I had decided to replace the bike. By the time I buy rims and front cartridges etc I'd have paid enough to upgrade the suspension that I could have just bought an Enduro bike and kept the BMW for road riding.

I know the salesman at the KTM store, my son used to work there. I was offered $1500 discount on a new 990 without asking.

If they offer me $10k for the Austro-Bavarian hunk of junk they can have it. I'll throw in all the spares I have for free.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #242
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Sorry for the issues, looks like you have your solution. Get a KTM, I feel your pain and had I done better research I may have done the same but am currently enjoying the project of building a better bike. I enjoy it about as much as I do riding them.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #243
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I had a long winded reply but it got lost in the ether.

You haven't had problems with yours. That's great.

Mine sucks big hairy balls. Ohlins is cheap shit. They sell a standard off the shelf shock that isn't set up for anything. Basic riding, basic weight. Despite asking me all about weight and riding style, which was futile and pointless. It took several revalves to get it anywhere near right, and it still sucks balls. No bottom out valving. Fuck me, even the standard Sachs works better as far as bottom out goes.

It has the heaviest rear spring on the Ohlins list, 22kg/mm. It still sucks hairy dogs balls.

It was set up by the same guy who has done 3 dirt bikes for me and they've all been perfect. He went to Le Mans to do suspension work for the last 24 hour. He knows what he's doing.

I stopped short of spending money on replacing the internals of the front end. Because I had decided to replace the bike. By the time I buy rims and front cartridges etc I'd have paid enough to upgrade the suspension that I could have just bought an Enduro bike and kept the BMW for road riding.

I know the salesman at the KTM store, my son used to work there. I was offered $1500 discount on a new 990 without asking.

If they offer me $10k for the Austro-Bavarian hunk of junk they can have it. I'll throw in all the spares I have for free.
Dont hold back, tell us what you really think.

I do get what you are saying as there have definitely been times I have been frustrated with the F800. I have also certainly thrown enough money at mine. But no matter what color Kool-aid you end up drinking, I just came to the conclusion that weight is weight and you can only get so much out of a 450 plus pound bike. I finally realized that for harder dirt riding, I just enjoy my smaller bike a lot more. I'm not dismissing the KTM thing, they are definitely cool bikes and I occasionally lust after one. I just dont think that any of the big adventure bikes are really going to kick ass when the going gets tough. (I'll probably get flamed for saying that )
On the other hand, with my current ridiculously expensive Bavarian whore, moderate dirt and touring is just fine. Good luck in your quest. I suspect the KTM will have you cursing also. Perhaps just about different things.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #244
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Dan, you da man. The voice of reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW Ronin View Post
Dont hold back, tell us what you really think.

I do get what you are saying as there have definitely been times I have been frustrated with the F800. I have also certainly thrown enough money at mine. But no matter what color Kool-aid you end up drinking, I just came to the conclusion that weight is weight and you can only get so much out of a 450 plus pound bike. I finally realized that for harder dirt riding, I just enjoy my smaller bike a lot more. I'm not dismissing the KTM thing, they are definitely cool bikes and I occasionally lust after one. I just dont think that any of the big adventure bikes are really going to kick ass when the going gets tough. (I'll probably get flamed for saying that )
On the other hand, with my current ridiculously expensive Bavarian whore, moderate dirt and touring is just fine. Good luck in your quest. I suspect the KTM will have you cursing also. Perhaps just about different things.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #245
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

I think the F8's front end is most of the reason behind the damaged rims. Mine gets a work out because it does rocky fire trails 2 up, and the rims bend like butter. So the serious search for a replacement commences.

I actually rode a 1200GS solo years ago and didn't like it. It felt huge and horrible. Rode alright, but huge.

I bought the F800 without test riding one.

I was surprised at how different it was to the 1200 from an engineering sense, but how similar it handled in many ways.

Given that I ride 2 up, I decided to start testing bikes with the wife on the back.

The 1200 is back in the running after I spent an hour or so on one yesterday. For 2 up, it is a far better bike. Yes, it's bigger, yes it's heavier, but it works. Instead of spending thousands on suspension, I push the ESA button and select 2 up sport mode....and it works.

It works. I was full of disbelief. But play with the settings, soft is soft, hard is hard, 2 up comfort actually feels like my F8 does with all the suspension work it's had. 2 up sport makes a noticeable improvement. Better straight up off the showroom floor.

Then select off road hard and it raises it's ride height. Good God. It works.

Riding around town 2 up, to be honest it feels a little bigger than the F800 at standstill, but feels much livelier on the move.

The handling is surprisingly similar between the 2. Riding style to get the optimum from it is transferable from one to the other.

The F800GS is a nice bike, don't get me wrong. It does a lot of things very well.

Off road 2 up with camping gear is not one of them.

So at the moment I'm not sold on the 1200, I like it a lot...but I want to try the 990 off road with a pillion before I pull the trigger. It's a lot of coin.

But the choices so far are - sell the F8 and buy the new 990, or keep the F8 (and really modify the crap out of it) and buy the new R1200GS, and sell my 2 DRs.

It's nice to have choice, but you really have to put them through their paces to make sure it's going to work for you long term. Most shops want you to ride around the block and make your mind up. BMW didn't care how long I rode their GS and I gave it a workout, and it didn't disappoint. Now it's up to KTM to play the game for a decent 2 up test ride or I'll buy the big Beemer.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #246
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,379
Snowy,

Do you seriously think a 12GS is going to reliably hold up with the way you will ride it off road? You want to depend even more on electronics - to control and regulate your suspension???

Do yourself a favor and either get a proper set of forks and narrow 21"/18" wheels on the F8 or just get a KTM 950/990 already. Just be aware that like any bike it will also require a list of mods, e.g. the wheels on the Adventure are just as soft as the F8, only the 950 SE has good rims on it stock.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #247
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oh come on Lukas, don't harsh my buzz. I had fun on the big Bummer.

I could really see myself cruising along, smug as a Columbian Drug lord astride my monstrous unstoppable World Wide Adventure machine.

In 12 months I'll release, "Ewan, Charlie and Snowy - the untold story". I'll make millions.

Either that or I'll have soaked myself in lighter fluid, cut my wrists, and jumped into a camp fire somewhere.

It's currently getting even money.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #248
k-dmitriy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Has anyone heard of GLM (Giant Light Metal) rims? Is it normal good or bad? They has 2.15 one, but euro/jap drilled - it's unknown. Only found it's chinese and here says that it used in tubeless Alpina kit for KTM. But where to buy it apart - google say nothing.

Front rim dented a lot, already buy a BikeMaster wheel balancer, while it on sale, to assemble wheel back, and just right rim for stock spokes/nipples/hub needed.

k-dmitriy screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 07:23 PM
k-dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #249
k-dmitriy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dmitriy View Post
How to know is the rim euro drilled or not? I only noticed that my bmw's behr rim has two holes in series on one side, two holes in series on another and so on. Others rims on photos have one hole on one side, one on another and so on, like in post #225
this question canceled, found an answer http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=621
just curious about the trick why in the behr rims holes located two in series?

k-dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #250
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,240
LukasM is straight on.

Im currently jumping around in the forum to see vvhat other people do to make their mcs better performer. Suspension has alvvays been a big thing for me. My humble opinion vvould be to pair the 800gs vvith 950 suspension and call it a day. That said and as Lukas pointed out, nothing is perfect and the adventure(for me) is finetuning the bike vve like.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #251
Philadv
n00b

Oddometer: 3
RIMS 2014 BMW F800GS Adventure

In August 2013 I upgraded from my 2012 KLR650 to the 2014 BMW F800GS.
I do frequent runs into the Rockies from the Denver area. I recently replaced the stock scorpion tires with the Heidenau K60 scouts. I love the bike.

Wheel Observations during tire change:
Front Wheel: Several dings + wheel out of round
Rear Wheel: Out of round.

This is a major disappointment for what is otherwise a fantastic ride. The F800GSA wheels are soft and not up to the task of fire roads, at least not in the Rockies. I've used the bike to explore forest service roads and a moderately rocky back roads in Colorado.
I took the wheels into Woodys Wheel Works in Denver, where the damage was confirmed and repaired...several dollars later. Woodys was great and the price fine, I just should not be shelling out $200 repairing wheels after 2200 miles on a new bike. Woodys also confirmed they see this alot.

I'm sorry to confirm, but at least for me, the problem is still there + for the price of this bike, the rims should be Excel rim quality or higher.

Philadv screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 09:16 PM Reason: insert image
Philadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #252
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Snowy rants

fuck i thought i was a thunder cloud..........admin. needs to round up all of snowys wonderful rants and send them in german to bmw headquarters.
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #253
Blink74
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Had a 1200gs with mag rims that was ridden off-road extensively. I was always worried about bending the rims on the 1200 and the front had a couple dents. When I got the F800 with spoked rims I was so excited about not having to worry about bending the mag rims. However, the bike has only 3000 miles on it, 2 substantial dents in the front rim and has yet to see any serious abuse. I'm pretty sure the mag rims on my 12 were stronger. It seems to ride fine, but needless to say, I'm disappointed. I haven't decided if I'm going to spend the cash to send them to woody's or just wait until it becomes a problem.
Blink74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #254
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 727
The weak link is the front forks, your tire and wheel are making up for the lack of damping and paying the price.

I finally put some small bends in mine (Not worth addressing), and i'm not gentle with it, and usually run low pressures. Due to the fact that my front suspension can really soak up the hits.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #255
Blink74
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Mine is a 2013 and the suspension is much improved over previous years. I was running 25 psi when it happened and I dont recall hitting anything that should have damaged the rim. I share the opinion that the OEM rims are weak.
Blink74 is offline   Reply With Quote