Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #16
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
What front fender did you use? Also did you have to make that bracket so it did not interfere with your horn etc...?
Fender is an aftermarket (Polisport?) for a KTM 450exc.
The mounting bracket is made from a piece of plastic cutting board, (tough stuff that shit) I meant to paint it black but tried a fit up before painting and then couldn't be arsed taking it apart again.
It is mounted by the 2 bolts (6mm) that hold the semi circular plastic bit to the bottom triple, spaced out with 20mmOD, 6mm ID x 15mm ally spacers (home made) and a replaced longer (60mm) horn bolt, again with spacer.
This all gives spanner access to the 4 x 6mm bolts that mount the fender to the cutting board, again with spacers, you can see 'em in the pic.
The long horn bolt is accessed through a hole drilled in the guard large enough for the socket spanner, it is locked by a nut above the horn.
I hope all this makes sense, it's a lot harder to explain than to do.
IT has just been across Oz on the dirt with no problems, in fact there is less crap comes off the front wheel into your face than with the stock guard.
My design is not original, thanks go to Dan (WW Ronin) for the inspiration, you can find his detailed build on this forum.
I don't like the Wunderlich "beak" either. (and the $$$!)

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 04:37 PM
guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Yeah it looked very similar to the setup I had seen before. I am rolling with the KTM 690 fender (which hopefully will be here soon). Since I am relocating the horn I plan on bringing it right up on the lower triple so I am hoping I do not need to make much if any form of spacers. If so I will probably make it out of CF. Waiting for now and will see once I get the fender in. Motorfiets has the 690 on his which looks great but he also has the KTM front suspension which makes hookup easy.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Fender

As soon as I get the KTM fender in and fit it I will come up with the final design, if anyone has suggestions etc... please let me know, especially if you have attempted to do something similar.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #19
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike View Post
G'day mate, I have a quick question for you. You had a 1200GS? If you were riding dirt roads (the sort of dirt roads you get in WA) and you were doing it 2 up with a load, would the 1200 be a better choice for the dirt?

I figure if you've had both, and ridden both with decent loads on on those roads, then you'll probably come the closest to understanding the issues I have with riding fire trails 2 up.

It'd be interesting to hear what you think. Sorry for the hi-jack.

The high fender option is something I'm still planning for the F800. I have the alloy plate and a mud guard. I just lost the will power somewhere along the line.
Snowy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #20
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,373
PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
G'day mate, I have a quick question for you. You had a 1200GS? If you were riding dirt roads (the sort of dirt roads you get in WA) and you were doing it 2 up with a load, would the 1200 be a better choice for the dirt?

I figure if you've had both, and ridden both with decent loads on on those roads, then you'll probably come the closest to understanding the issues I have with riding fire trails 2 up.

It'd be interesting to hear what you think. Sorry for the hi-jack.

The high fender option is something I'm still planning for the F800. I have the alloy plate and a mud guard. I just lost the will power somewhere along the line.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #21
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Snafu

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry, Because I am placing the KTM fender directly on the lower triple, with a small piece of 10 gauge galvanized steel as a mounting bracket (which lowers the fender 3/16 of an inch from the triple). I do not have much is any room to really accentuate the beak. It is looking now like I will bring it out just a bit and have a rather short section due to space.

This picture shows how close the fender sits

Photobucket

The bolt pattern on the lower triple does not mesh with a 4 bolt (square pattern) on the KTM 690 fender. This was remedied with a piece of steal, I have to track down proper bolts and will show this setup when it is complete.

Photobucket

Once I get the bracket complete etc... I will complete the front fender and begin the necessary brake line routing. I have already acquired another fork clamp like the one on the stock setup to aid in routing the brake lines. I will also be doing a slightly different setup from what I have seen. That will be posted when I get to it. I am in the R&D phase right now.

Photobucket

Now I did something slightly different than what other people have done, in stead of buying MX fork guards I opted to modify the front fender (I had a spare), I lopped off the extra stuff and will be using the stock plastic as a mold for the carbonfiber guards. This alleviates the use of trying to fabricate a bracket to match the stock bolt pattern as well as retains some of the aesthetics. They will have a CF piece coming from the other bolt hole that the back part of the stock fender attached for inc stability.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I will post pictures as I work through the phases.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 100
Looks like you could fab a wedge shaped piece between the fender and the cowl and have a nice smooth curve with the fender forming the new "beak" without too much effort. I think it would look great.
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDinNH View Post
Looks like you could fab a wedge shaped piece between the fender and the cowl and have a nice smooth curve with the fender forming the new "beak" without too much effort. I think it would look great.
That is most likely what will occur, I cannot bring it too low because it will impede the turning of the front wheel etc... I need to get it together soon though so I can fab it up. A point I forgot to mention earlier is that I relocated the horn up near the body work above the radiator. It is a little louder for the rider but not bad.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #24
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Well it is Friday but sadly I have a few exams next week so my recent UPS delivery will have to wait till next Friday I will hopefully finalize my nose and play with the CF and resin to figure it out before I try full production next weekend.

Photobucket
Old 10-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #25
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
For safety sake - you will need to put your original low front fender back on or reroute the brake lines. The brakeline crossover hose has been known to snag the front tire and cause a crash when the fender is missing.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #26
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosickle2000 View Post
For safety sake - you will need to put your original low front fender back on or reroute the brake lines. The brakeline crossover hose has been known to snag the front tire and cause a crash when the fender is missing.
The whole mod is to remove the risk of snapping the front fender and eating dirt. Brake lines will be routed solo down each fork to their respective caliper. I haven't picked them up yet as I am still determining how they will be routed. The bike is static until I complete everything anyways.

runnin4melife screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 04:25 PM
Old 10-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #27
motosickle2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Now that I read your previous posts - I see that you were planning to reroute the brake lines. Your fender conversion is looking good!

Quote:
The whole mod is to remove the risk of snapping the front fender and eating dirt. Brake lines will be routed solo down each fork to their respective caliper. I haven't picked them up yet as I am still determining how they will be routed. The bike is static until I complete everything anyways.
motosickle2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:14 AM   #28
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Ebrabaek, I was considering making a CF chain guard using the stock one as a mold, any thoughts? I guess the biggest concern is whether or not any of the lubricant can mess with the resin?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #29
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Ebrabaek, I was considering making a CF chain guard using the stock one as a mold, any thoughts? I guess the biggest concern is whether or not any of the lubricant can mess with the resin?
You will be ok with the lube on the resin..... It does not interfere. But you most certainly will need to vacuum pack it, due to the sharp corners..... It is on my list to do... But I would make it of my own mold, as I think there will be a market for these,thus a mould necessary. You got me started thinking again about the eliminating of the low fender, with the addition of the SM fender.... But every time I see someone doing this.... I'm scarred from one inmates picture of Gonzo........ It's terrible.... I'm scarred for life.... It is a fantastic solution, but I don't feel I am there yet....in breaking the natural lines with the beak. The more I look at it, the snorkels have to go CF..... When you see them from riders perspective, the sharp top corner is hideous, and has to go at some point. My plan is to tie in a new set of CF snorkels Flow that into a new CF piece replacing the top plastic that goes fwd to the beak.... to break that line. So pieces removes, will be beak.... top plastic leading to the beak..... snorkels. Then a one piece CF will replace that.....with out the beak...of course. Sort of like a small .....less intrusive rally fairing.... with an adjustable see thru shield..... I'm exited.
Good work.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #30
runnin4melife OP
Studly Adventurer

Wow that would be sweet it is a bit beyond my skill-set I believe but none the less it would be awesome. The vacuum sealing will have to wait for now but I like your idea of the custom mold etc... It would def have a market, as we cannot stop it with the farkle. I have seen quite a few of the custom high fenders and am trying to make mine look like it was intended to be that way, the issue like you said is following the lines of the body work and that will be difficult unless you fab a completely new upper panel. If you go that route will you just eliminate the need for a high front fender and absorb all the stuff flying into your face?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
You will be ok with the lube on the resin..... It does not interfere. But you most certainly will need to vacuum pack it, due to the sharp corners..... It is on my list to do... But I would make it of my own mold, as I think there will be a market for these,thus a mould necessary. You got me started thinking again about the eliminating of the low fender, with the addition of the SM fender.... But every time I see someone doing this.... I'm scarred from one inmates picture of Gonzo........ It's terrible.... I'm scarred for life.... It is a fantastic solution, but I don't feel I am there yet....in breaking the natural lines with the beak. The more I look at it, the snorkels have to go CF..... When you see them from riders perspective, the sharp top corner is hideous, and has to go at some point. My plan is to tie in a new set of CF snorkels Flow that into a new CF piece replacing the top plastic that goes fwd to the beak.... to break that line. So pieces removes, will be beak.... top plastic leading to the beak..... snorkels. Then a one piece CF will replace that.....with out the beak...of course. Sort of like a small .....less intrusive rally fairing.... with an adjustable see thru shield..... I'm exited.
Good work.