Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #17
pcwirepro OP
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Google stick coil for motorcycle under shopping. Japanese bike coils inexpensive. Find one similar to BMW.

stick coil for motorcycle
I see similarities there. Has anyone done this successfully?
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #18
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,761
It will lift the front wheel with 2 functioning stick coils
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #19
pcwirepro OP
Aspiring Adventurer

That woukd be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer View Post
It will lift the front wheel with 2 functioning stick coils
It may come at a price (New clutch) but its going to need it sooner or later right.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,777
I liked the idea of the ford stick coils but didn't have time to hack around with the wiring. You can save a few bucks that way no doubt and some enterprising soul will make a million selling them. In the end though I bought a pair from Max, took a week to deliver and didn't get any m&ms either. Replaced the bad one and will pack the other one on trips just in case.

Mine went out without warning and missed badly under load. Have a sneaking suspicion that since it was on the left side
and using the sidestand a lot that maybe corrosion from water runoff might be the cause, but everytime I try to disassemble the old coil it just breaks.

One coil stick at 120k miles is an acceptable fail rate.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #21
pcwirepro OP
Aspiring Adventurer

Is there a princess & the pea syndrome?

I have been accused of having it.

Two new coils in. Noticeable difference but not the breakthrough I was looking for. The front tire has yet to leave the ground. So..... What's next? More tuning or a 1200?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #22
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,542
if (when?) it happened to mine I would just jump off the bridge..... buy the easy to get, available at any car parts store Ford coils and just cut & terminate the original BMW harness onto the new coils with readily avalable high quality terminals. why dick around? are you thinking that some day you are going to put the "tumors" back in after the operation? done in a day with common parts that are easy to find
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,583
While I am not the owner of a stick coil vehicle of any kind, I'm inclined to think BMW made some errors in the design for the Coil on Plug system. I assume that these stick coils fail due to excessive heat (and cooling) and embrittled plastic especially when one attempts to remove one for say valve lash service, and in doing so, cracks the insulation or housing by just handling the thing.

So, sooner or later (nobody really knows) you'll need to replace one or more of these stick coils when they are least accessible (riding in some remote area with no cell service or no UPS delivery service).

At the ridiculous prices charged for these things and their rate of failure, I would certainly entertain Hackymoto's Ford option.

Removing the coil from the heat of an air cooled engine seems like a good idea. Replacing it with one at 1/3 the cost is really appealing. Replacing it with one that is available from a local auto parts store?...you get the idea.

def screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 10:53 AM
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #24
pcwirepro OP
Aspiring Adventurer

Same thought

I'll see how this fresh set holds up. They have a build date of 12/11 so hopefully they have made some improvements.
I know from experience that the machine will run on the secondaries just fine so getting stranded isn't much of a concern for us dual spark users anyway.

I should be on a newer 1200 by the time these fail so I'll have other problems to deal with.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #25
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Looking at Hacky's photos, I see the Ford coil is much larger in diameter than the BMW stick it replaces. Well, that tells me that the Ford piece has better performance inasmuch as the number and density of the wire turns in the Ford coil are optimized, likely producing a hotter spark especially under high compression circumstances.

Someone with the correct test equipment could determine this but, ignition coils rely on current induced as the field moves across the turns in the coil. The more turns exposed to the collapsing field means more current. So turns position and turns ratio determine the current and voltage produced by the coil. My vote says the Ford coil is better for the job than the BMW coil, even a new one.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,506
Group buy
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
pcwirepro OP
Aspiring Adventurer

Perhaps better spark but...

Hacky didn't report any real gains in performance. The spark from my new OVERPRICED spark plugs does look pretty anemic. Hmmm. should I have checked the gap on the plugs from the dealer? Do you adjust those things. I better check thaty our.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwirepro View Post
Hacky didn't report any real gains in performance. The spark from my new OVERPRICED spark plugs does look pretty anemic. Hmmm. should I have checked the gap on the plugs from the dealer? Do you adjust those things. I better check thaty our.
Some plugs have ground electrodes that allow the gap to be adjusted. Many of the NGKs used in the boxer are not adjustable. Once the NGK gap is opened by normal wear, the plug needs to be replaced.

My single spark boxer is fitted with Autolite 3923s. They have 40,000+ miles on them and get the occasional adjustment to 0.035" gap.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
the smudger
n00b

Oddometer: 3
This might help.

Twin spark was designed to clean up emissions. If the o2 sensor sees a rise in HC's (Hydrocarbons, unburnt fuel) the Engine control unit fires the secondary, up to 60 degrees ATDC.

An easy test is to let the bike idle, disconnect the secondary coil (the lower one) on each side one at a time. If the engine stalls then the problem is the Primary coil on that side.

They fail quite regularly but are difficult to pick up on because if the primary fails, the o2 sensor see's a raise in HC's, then fires off the secondary. It is quite usual for a primary coil to fail and the rider be completely unaware until its ridden hard.

When ridden fast (high engine speed) usually a misfire or 'holding back' is experienced. This is because the engine is spinning so fast that the engine controller cannot fire the secondary quickly enough to counter the failed primary.

There, that makes sense doesn't it.....
the smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #30
pcwirepro OP
Aspiring Adventurer

Perfect sense

My twin spark ran fine at idle and did quite well at high speed and even on uphill canyon runs. There were just times that I thought it was lacking something. So yes, I agree that a rider could be completely unaware of a failure. On a dual spark boxer that is.