Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #31
beammeup
Guaging racefully

Oddometer: 261
You can save the cost of an adapter. As long as the GPS has a cable with wires designed to attach to 12 volts, you can strip them down, tin them with a little solder to stiffen them up, and the insert the stiffened wires into the BMW connector.

I did this on my GSA and on my 800 GS - no issues. Once the wires are inserted ( sorry, I don't remember the color codings on the BMW end ) a good wrap of electrical tape will hold the wires in place and weatherproof it. TA DA!
2011 KLR650
I cannot change the laws of physics....
beammeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #32
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
It only depends *how* the power is going into the GPS unit you may have, that's all.

All USB/mini USB ports are 5V

With my Nuvi 765T, I bought a cable that had bare wires on one end, and the appropriate Garmin plug on the other. Not for the mini USB port, but the larger multi-pin connector that goes through the mounting clip.

I bought the OEM BMW accessory GPS adapter plug from F800Depot, and soldered the proper wires together. Works like a charm, no 5Volt thingies need apply.

Now, if I had another model of GPS where there was only a 5V mini USB power plug in, or for some strange reason I wanted to put the power to my GPS through the mini USB port, this is where you would need to make sure you had the correct inline voltage reducer.

I chose to go this route instead of just hardwiring directly to my battery, because I already have a Battery Tender SAE pigtail wired up to the terminals and I don't want to overcrowd the thing. (and I don't need or want to install a secondary multi-accessory fuseblock) Plus the GPS power source plug was already there, so meh.
Thanks - clearest answer I've seen. The point about crowding the terminals is a good one. I've got pigtails on both bikes, more for running the 12V air compressor on the trail. The 690 has no handy accessory plug and the wires on the Garmin adaptor are super thin, so I'm going to go that route for now and carry extra terminal screws. I'll get the adaptor for the 800.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #33
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post
Thanks - clearest answer I've seen. The point about crowding the terminals is a good one. I've got pigtails on both bikes, more for running the 12V air compressor on the trail. The 690 has no handy accessory plug and the wires on the Garmin adaptor are super thin, so I'm going to go that route for now and carry extra terminal screws. I'll get the adaptor for the 800.

Exactly!

I carry a little 12v air compressor on longer trips too, and wanted a "universal" power source at the ready. The SAE pigtail is great because I can simply plug in whatever I want to use, at any given time.

In my tankbag, I have a regular 12v cigarette type socket with SAE terminal on the other end, and can plug in a compressor, attach a set of mini jumper cables for another bike, power a twin USB-out adapter plug, a little 75watt AC adapter, or even plug in my GPS 12v cable that came with my Nuvi for car use. (in case the hardwire cable ever gets damaged or the bike's CanBus controlled GPS outlet ever goes wonky, nice to have a simple 12v source capable backup)

In fairness to beammeup's suggestion, I too, thought briefly of saving the 25.00 or so bucks for the OEM BMW plug, but in all honesty I like the nice fit and finish of the end result, and was suspicious of my skill at jabbing tiny bare wires into the holes and holding them there with tape

Visions of sticking a fork in a wall outlet came to mind
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #34
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
In my tankbag, I have a regular 12v cigarette type socket with SAE terminal on the other end, and can.....even plug in my GPS 12v cable that came with my Nuvi for car use.
Hmmm...great idea. I also have a Nuvi, use it mainly in the truck, but I think it would be a better bet than the 60CSx on more road oriented trips on the 800.

So, where did you get said socket/SAE connector?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #35
NealB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I also used the aforementioned connector, nice and clean hookup.

Does anyone know the specs for the pulse signal? Is it 1 pulse per wheel rev or something else? Voltage levels? I haven't got my oscilloscope mount from Tourtech yet.

Thinking of a microcontroller project along the lines of a rally computer.
NealB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #36
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post
Hmmm...great idea. I also have a Nuvi, use it mainly in the truck, but I think it would be a better bet than the 60CSx on more road oriented trips on the 800.

So, where did you get said socket/SAE connector?
A great guy, bohemianbiker4vr on e-bay (I have no affiliation or connection, just a super happy customer)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Tender-P...item33676d48aa

I use my Nuvi 765T even though it's not weather resistant, because it was cheap and my old reading glasses eyes needed a bigger screen to see
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:10 AM   #37
Aanarchy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I use my Nuvi 765T even though it's not weather resistant, because it was cheap and my old reading glasses eyes needed a bigger screen to see
Amen! You can get helmets with flip-down sun shades, why not some flip-down readers?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #38
Moose2427
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I wired in a 12v cigarette lighter/accessory socket (3) with an in line fuse to the battery. It's located under the saddle. I routed the Garmin in car power lead so that the plug is at the GPS mount and the power plug is under the saddle to plug into the 12v socket.
This arrangement means that you have another accessory socket to plug other things into, that can be locked under the seat. I use mine to charge my phone securely while setting up camp.
The socket is always live, so don't leave any thing plugged in when the bike is not running for too long.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #39
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I hard wired mine to the battery but after leaving it connected one fateful day and having a dead battery (pop starting a 500lb moto is hard) I opted to install a on/off switch that I have mounted in a similar fashion to the photo that someone posted. Mine is smaller and does not light up (left side of the key).
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #40
st2fjr
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I did mine direct to battery terminals.
But quite strange because it only fully turned off after a minute i remove my ignition key.

st2fjr screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 02:06 AM Reason: image doesn't appear
st2fjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #41
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
I hard wired mine to the battery but after leaving it connected one fateful day and having a dead battery (pop starting a 500lb moto is hard) I opted to install a on/off switch that I have mounted in a similar fashion to the photo that someone posted. Mine is smaller and does not light up (left side of the key).
Guess the GPS model matters. I hardwire to the battery and have left the GPS on for a day or two w/o a problem. The voltage did drop by 0.2 over this time period (I was watching it to determine if drain was an issue).

Garmin Montana with a Ram Mount for me, today. Next week, different mount option.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #42
crossplane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If you want to use the white GPS plug sitting on top of the battery, but you'll need to buy the mating plug which costs about $25, and this outlet is switched with key and stays on for 1 minute after you shut the key off.
This is exactly how I have my zumo 660 wired up. No issues at all, it's been working a treat. I haven't had any problems with the power not shutting down either, and the bike has not had issues cranking over and starting up, even after leaving the GPS connected for extended periods.
crossplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #43
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
Laugh USB power socket with a USB hub....

the hub stays in the tank bag... cables run to it....
I use 2 GPSs a 60scx and a Nuvi with 3d road view. Those cig plugs are shit!

For 12vdc "Auto off" power I have a solid state relay energized by the accessories power socket.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #44
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
usb

sweet!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #45
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post

For 12vdc "Auto off" power I have a solid state relay energized by the accessories power socket.
Roughly what do those solid-state relays cost?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote