Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Jeuneyer OP
He don't say much.

Oddometer: 68
Wink Why do you consider the F650GS/F700GS a newbie or girl bike?

I know most of you will say to just ride what you want and don't worry about what everybody else thinks but...

I get the impression that unless you are at least on a F800, you are settling on a inferior bike.

What I really don't understand is that the Vstrom DL650 is considered a perfectly respectable bike but has a smaller motor than the F650. How does that make any logical sense.

Is the F650/700 to BMW what a sportster is to HD? Will calling it a F700GS change the mindset?
Jeuneyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
TheDoubleD
TheDoubleD

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeuneyer View Post
I know most of you will say to just ride what you want and don't worry about what everybody else thinks but...

I get the impression that unless you are at least on a F800, you are settling on a inferior bike.

What I really don't understand is that the Vstrom DL650 is considered a perfectly respectable bike but has a smaller motor than the F650. How does that make any logical sense.

Is the F650/700 to BMW what a sportster is to HD? Will calling it a F700GS change the mindset?
You are correct; ride what you like and don't worry about it. I just went from a KTM 450 EXCR (Considered one of the best hardcore street legal trail bikes) to a pair of KLX 250s. Honestly I have more fun on the pair of KLX's. The BMW F650GS has a low seat height and that is why it is utilized by women.

Untitled
TheDoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Sort answer... no... way to heavy... awkwardly long wheelbase for a noob
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
It's rather obvious when you sit the F650GS and the F800GS next to each other that one has a much more aggressive look, I guess you could call it masculine. The side panels with the big air intakes, the beak, the twin discs, the bigger spoked wheels and the thicker USD fork legs etc all contribute to that. I personally think the F650GS looks pretty ugly stock, that's why I modded mine.

On the new 2013s the difference is much less noticeable, and the F700GS is improved a lot. Still prefer the old F800GS bodywork over the newer models, though.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
One non-rider told me that this bike (F800 in Kalamatta versus Sertao) looks more manly because of the color.

"That bike looks better than your last bike."
"Why?"
"It looks more manly"
"Really, in what way?"
"Well for one the color..."

I get compliments on the looks, particularly the aggressive styling and the size/height. Throw some knobbies on it and it will look even better.
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:

The only reason I thought my F650 was a n00b bike was the dealer said so. While trying to sell me a R1200GS. I was told that the F650 was for people looking for their first bike, not so much as a second or beyond.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
ItalianRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I "downgraded" from a Speed Triple to the F700.

Aside from the fact that I don't give a rat's ass about what other people say (since I'm the one who's riding the bike, not them), the reason why I did it, is because I needed a bike that was easier and more relaxing to ride.

The Triple was a powerful bike, kinda jumpy and definitely targeted to high-power, high-performance type of riding. Fun, but in the end, I didn't want to deal with the stress of keeping the bike under surveillance every second.

With the F700 I feel that I can relax more.

It's still a motorcycle and while the engine is not the most powerful out there, it's got quite a kick to it, so the F700 still demands that the rider pays attention and gives it the appropriate amount of respect.

That being said, having "less" bike to deal with, makes riding much more fun.

Plus it's lighter than the 1200 ... which means that offroad, with the appropriate tires, would be less challenging to negotiate around rough terrain.

This is one case where I feel that less is more.

And again, I couldn't care less about what other people think..

ItalianRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
Good point about the DL650, and while it's very valid I still feel like a dork riding my wife's F698 while my F8 is out of commission. Maybe it's the fact that my knees are up around my shoulders, or at least it feels like it.

It's still a great bike to ride though, in fact I like it equally on pavement. And her mileage is phenomenal.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollygrubber View Post
Maybe it's the fact that my knees are up around my shoulders, or at least it feels like it.
Well in this case I can confirm that it is 100% your imagination, as long as they have the same seats on them the seat to peg distance is exactly the same.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,269
Quote:

I passed my driving licence in france on a F650GS twin. It was amazing and I loved it. After that I bought a F650GS single and now I have a F800GS. I don't think that the F650GS twin is an inferior bike. It's smooth and I don't think that the +14 (or somewhat) hp you get more from the F8GS is relevant. I took the 8GS because I wanted spoked wheels and a 6th gear for the highway. Since the F650GS twin is coming without the spoked wheels I got the F800GS (and honestly I dig the design of the 8GS). But anyway I don't think that I'd be unhappy with a 658gs. It's comfy, smooth, has all the options I like and a farkle list as long as my arm.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Well in this case I can confirm that it is 100% your imagination, as long as they have the same seats on them the seat to peg distance is exactly the same.
Hers is lowered, with a lowered "low" seat . It's not my imagination, the ground's a lot closer.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #12
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Forks.
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner

Oddometer: 100
Well, you can call it a girls bike, or a beginners bike, but I'm neither and I love my 658. Does it have it's faults? Certainly. I wish the front forks were better and that the rear suspension was better (I'm starting to work on that), but I chased one of the best riders I know thru the back roads of Vermont a few weeks ago and he didn't loose me even on stock suspension. Now, my R1200RT has Wilbers suspension front and rear so it's no slouch in the handling department, but I still prefer to ride the 658 unless I'm headed for somewhere "far - far" away where I know I'll be riding a lot of slab and thru a lot of weather to get there.

The 658's combination of reasonably low weight and reasonable power makes it ideal for the back roads of New England. And when you find that one of those back roads turns to dirt, it's no big deal, you just keep on motoring along. The only performance change I've made so far was dropping to a 16 tooth front sprocket (with the stock 41 tooth rear) and to my mind that really helped it on the back roads. It probably hurt it on the slab, but it didn't appear to hurt my gas milage, it gave me a usable 5th & 6th gear, and it helped it's low speed dirt road performance.

Are there better "speciality" bikes (touring, sport, off-road, etc)? Absolutely! But if what you want is one bike that is just as happy commuting to work as it is headed out onto the back roads for a week, you'd be hard pressed to find a better bike and I imagine the F700 is just as good.
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #14
garciawork
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I don't. Its the same engine, only my 650 doesn't require premium. I originally went in to test an F700, but the local dealer had sold both that morning. They did have a demo 650 though... several days later I took her home. The extra 2k+ for a little extra power and slightly worse gearing and wheels for slab made the decision easy. I have no illusions of spending much, if any, time offroad, I just loved the ergo's and powerplant. Its been 3 weeks now and I have zero regrets! This machine blows my old ninja 650 and Bonneville out of the water, at everything. Now my boss wants to get a 700 because he is jealous, whoops
garciawork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I've ridden all sizes and never felt bad about riding smaller bikes. In college I had a series of old Japanese bikes. One of the ones I had the longest was a KZ400. It was fun and would break the ton as they say in England but I had lots of people (who weren't riding by the way) say that they wouldn't ride anything smaller than a 750.

I think it's like big trucks. The bigger your truck or the more CCs you have the smaller your dick. Before you get too mad, I drive a Dodge Ram and have an 1100 GS.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote