User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
GP1200 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Stiff throttle ?

My 2010 GSA throttle seems a lot more difficult to twist then when new. Is there any maintenance that can be done to fix this ?

Also experiencing what feels like the front brakes rubbing when turning a corner. Could the calipers be dragging ? maybe the caliper pins need to be lubed ?
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
SiouxsieCat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1200 View Post
My 2010 GSA throttle seems a lot more difficult to twist then when new. Is there any maintenance that can be done to fix this ?
Just curious if you have a Kaoko or similar throttle lock. Mine binds up in the cold and I remove it for the winter months.
SiouxsieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
GP1200 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiouxsieCat View Post
Just curious if you have a Kaoko or similar throttle lock. Mine binds up in the cold and I remove it for the winter months.
I have a Kaoko but the nut is totally released from affecting the throttle, and the throttle is still stiff
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Check the clearance on the grip to the switch cluster. You might need to move the cluster a bit.

As for the brakes, it is very likely the tires cupping a little.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
James Bond
Tight is best

Oddometer: 69
Amazing how much tire cupping plays into handling in the final few thousand miles. Gotta love new rubber!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,784
How many miles on it? Might try to find another one to compare it to. You can also measure the stiffness by rigging a small fish scale. Whatever you do don't lube the cable as that will cause the nylon liner to swell and make it drag. The only thing you can try is checking to see if there's crap between the grip and bar making it hard to turn.

I had to replace my first throttle cable at 18k due to an accident, it must have swung the bars against the stops and kinked it. It isn't too hard to replace but the tank needs to come off.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
GP1200 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
How many miles on it? Might try to find another one to compare it to. You can also measure the stiffness by rigging a small fish scale. Whatever you do don't lube the cable as that will cause the nylon liner to swell and make it drag. The only thing you can try is checking to see if there's crap between the grip and bar making it hard to turn.

I had to replace my first throttle cable at 18k due to an accident, it must have swung the bars against the stops and kinked it. It isn't too hard to replace but the tank needs to come off.
I took the bar end weight off and sprayed WD-40 on the throttle bearing surface. Voila ! I'd prefer some grease but not sure how to get it in there. I have a brand new R1200RT so I knew the GSA throttle was not right.

Regarding the braking when turning , the tires are fairly new and not cupped. Are there actual pins that the caliper slides on, like a car ? I don't have the repair manuals yet.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1200 View Post
I took the bar end weight off and sprayed WD-40 on the throttle bearing surface. Voila ! I'd prefer some grease but not sure how to get it in there. I have a brand new R1200RT so I knew the GSA throttle was not right.

Regarding the braking when turning , the tires are fairly new and not cupped. Are there actual pins that the caliper slides on, like a car ? I don't have the repair manuals yet.
i think i tried wd 40 too, and it ended up gumming it up a little bit. I ended up taking it apart which is pretty easy, small electric plug and torx screw as shown. I wouldn't use grease, i used dry graphite (like for door lock keys}

There is one pin per caliper with a small retaining clip plus noise shield. very simple to change pads in about 5 minutes.

You didn't say how many miles, but if its 30k plus the noise you may be hearing is wear indicators or the pad being thin
its starting to ride on the high ridge at the edge of the disc.

Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
GP1200 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey, thanks for the tips ! I will definitely take the grip off this weekend and buy some dry graphite lube. Having the light feeling to the throttle again is great. I'm going to remove the calipers as well to see what's going on there.
I have almost 30,000 KM on the bike.

I changed the FD and gear oil every 10,000 km after the initial 1000km service , I'm thinking the generator belt and spark plugs should be replaced soon. If the FD fails, it's not because of bad lube !
Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
GP1200 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Check the clearance on the grip to the switch cluster. You might need to move the cluster a bit.

As for the brakes, it is very likely the tires cupping a little.

Jim
Jim, you are right , when turning slowly the cupping provides a vibration that feels like the brakes are being applied but it is only the uneven tire wear. I noticed the cupping in the front tire today.