Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
you're really gonna regret leaving off the foot thingie, especially after powdercoating.
Trust Me on this.
Funny you mention this. This summer, I sacrificed my powdercoating to weld a foot-thingy onto my center stand. I had put it off, because I didn't want to cook the powdercoating, but I got pretty tired of groping around under there trying to get the stand down. While I was at it, I TIGed some stainless steel "shoes" onto the wear points on the stand.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #32
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Geez what a project!I feel better about mine all the time,at the same time worse,because I dont have the talent/ambition to undertake such a project!Good luck,I'll be watchin!
Old 09-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #33
Captain Yesterday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Has your head been examined latley?
I think it needs to be

Good news and bad new from the DMV. There was no paper work accept a bill of sale.

Fees ended up being 660$ They say that it takes 5 years for the vehicle to drop out of the system. But someone had checked with in the past 5 years to register it or check in past fees so it was back into the system. But if I can prove that it hasn't been road road worthy then they can reduce to the fees by over half by filling out a statement of facts. I needed to fill out statements of facts anyway to get it registered in my name with a new title. So $300 isn't so bad "for California" good old Paso Robles DMV only a 10min wait and willing to actually help. Good thing I'm not in LA or the Bay Area I would rather eat glass than go to a DMV there.

Next is painting. I was going to go with something close to Monza blue with hand done pinstripes. I have the bmw motorcycle paint code 538 but getting a hold of Monza Blue is becoming challenging. Anyone know where I could get bmw motorcycle paint or have a paint code of a domestic or import car color code that is close to Monza Blue????? Thanks
Captain Yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #34
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,498
I do believe this project can be done with not much money, but I personally would add the tang for the center stand and not paint it. Either way, it's in a much better home now than before. This will be a good one to watch.

One of these days, I might need to repaint my Monza Blue R90, so I'm interested to see what you find out.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #35
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,919
it could be worse

not so bad really

left head is worst of the two

right head

the guides check right around .315".
I'll manage a closer inspection in a day or two.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #36
Carl

Oddometer: 753
cyclinder heads...

I recondition heads that are in far worse condition than what is shown in the pics. Those in the pics can be 'resurrected'.

The exhaust seats appear to have taken a dive. The right head exhaust seat looks tired. The mating valve for that seat probably was punished along w/ the seat.

The spindle looks to be pitted on the micrometer. I recommend the micrometer is calibrated/reviewed before using it to make any serious mechanical decisions.

Make sure the three spacer sleeves not shown in the first pic have not gone MIA.

Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #37
Captain Yesterday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

And just like that BAM the engine is done

na I'm just messing with ya. It's my uncles r90/6 spare engine in case I want to use it.

Frame is back from powder coating

New battery covers, since used ones seemed to be going for almost the same price as new ones

Shinny new paint

We'll see how close it is to monza blue when I get a chance to compare it side by side. The paint is from Napa book: Martin Senor Paints Book #: MA4290LF Paint Code # 42185 in case anyone is curious. Now the search is on for pinstriping. Found one person locally but they want stupid money to have it done.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #38
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 621
What colour are you thinking about on the pin stripping ? Personally I think gold would set it off nicely
Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #39
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by R100LT View Post
What colour are you thinking about on the pin stripping ? Personally I think gold would set it off nicely
I vote dark blue and red.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #40
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 621
Funny isn't it .

When our better half's want our opinion on what colour to paint a wall ... we reach for the closet paint sample .

For our bikes we are prepare to spend hours trolling through colour systems ... then many more hours of personal debate.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #41
Captain Yesterday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update

Before

After

Fork time

Little bit of scoring

I like how one fork had ATF oil and the other one looked like it had motor oil in it

Compare and contrast

This was making a mess in the forks

The fork rod with the motor oil looking oil in the fork was a bit sized, did not move to easily.

All done good to go

Next up the wheels, Whats all that crap? Also someone shoot the guy to designed the wheel bearings set up on these bikes

Maybe it might be rolling by the end of next week
Old 10-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #42
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,498
Ya see, now this is how you resurrect an airhead!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #43
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,175
Looks like some kind of clay. Great pictures BTW. And not to deny your right to have a different opinion but I like the design of the wheel bearings. Maybe I just don't know any better? The /5 does have the 14mm axle I think.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #44
Captain Yesterday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Still trying to figure out how to clean up the motor? I have a blast cabinet and I've tried on a small spot on the starter cover aluminum oxide, glass beads and a XL soda "aka baking soda" none have given me the results I'm looking for. I think I may need to paint the engine and trans. Will 550 degree engine paint work on the heads and jugs with out burring off?

Also, rear shocks? Ikons or Bob's re-po shocks? Which ones are softer? California roads suck so softer the better.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #45
Captain Yesterday OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Before and after on the wheels

Piston is finished, it was seized badly The cylinders are at the machine shop getting honed and then checked. Hopefully all the cylinders need is to be honed

It's a roller

O the humanity !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!