Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #46
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSdriver View Post

You can see in this picture how we were able to put everyones gear just on Scott's and Bill's bikes so the other 4 of us did not have to carry anything. Just kidding.

The day from Owyhee to Jarbidge was great. We did a bunch of 4x4 roads on the Benchmark map. They were harder than I expected. It seemed like every time I saw Scott, I would tell him that from here on out, the road would be a nice smooth gravel road and then I would start down the trail and it would turn into nasty rough rocky stuff. I was feeling pretty bad. Having not been there before, I was never very sure. Everything looks easy on the map and Google Earth! But, we made it and I really enjoyed the rougher terrain. There were a couple places in there where my bike was suffering from vapor locking due to the slow speeds, long climbs, and warm temperatures. Dropping into Jarbidge was really cool.

I forgot to mention that Bill lost a jacket out there somewhere. I am sure he can describe it or post a pic so if anyone finds it they can get it back to him.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 PM   #47
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

Oddometer: 143
My Day 2 pics. From camp, we traced a mystery trail (overgrown but on-the-map road) up and over a ridge back into the Duck Valley reservation:

Loitering around the gas station:

Back into the wild, Scott practices manhandling his top heavy 250, as he goes through one of the mystery cattle guards -- totally out in middle of nowhere on an overgrown road.

At times the road deteriorated to being almost untraceable save the GPS route, These are a couple of favorite pictures from the trip:

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
kramsetac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #48
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

And on down into a narrow cedar forested canyon:

What the hell are these guys looking at?

Oh, they're looking at this guy:

Out across another small valley before cresting a ridge for an awesome view:

And down across a spectacular desert valley. Another one of my favorite pics:

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #49
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

As we got closer to Jarbridge, the scenery just got better and better!

And the decent into Jarbridge Canyon:

Camp on the river:

Happy Campers!!!

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 PM   #50
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,675
Excellent

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #51
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
On the way down, we stopped up above Frenchglen for a quick break. This is probably all burned up now.

Nice ride, you guys!

I'm so sad that much of that area has burned.
Not ideal for 2up, but BigWan and I always had a lot of fun.
From what I've seen on other reports, it sounds like much of the land between McDermitt and Denio is just moonscape now.

Good thing your group took a lot of pics in june (and in 2011)...

looking forward to more!

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #52
XStatic450
ouch

Oddometer: 22
XStatic450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #53
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
All caught up. Looking good.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #54
kramsetac
The Dude Abides

OK. A few more Day two shots. I love the National Forest sign -- miles and miles from anything and certainly no where near a tree:

After several days riding in rocks, we each encountered some type of minor issue. Bill dealing with his issue:

Culprit found:

And back on his way:

In some ways, I'm sorry that Bill brought his KLR -- It makes people think this eight day saga of ours is something that could or should be done on such a bike. While it make it through just fine, I think that was more a reflection of the rider (Wild Bill) than the bike. It was the biggest and heaviest bike of the lot, and we went through some pretty tight nasty stuff over the course of the trip.

A few scenery shots from the first two days:

And finally, our first Wild Horse sighting. There would be many:

Enough for days 1 and 2. It only gets better!

Mark.

'06 TE610
'05 R1200GS
'02 200EXC
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #55
F.P.
Clown who is sick

Oddometer: 386
My favorite type of riding....big landscapes, few people. Thanks for posting! Keep it coming!
(my son at 8 years old)
F.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #56
DUCKSPANKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Here are a few of my pics from day 2

This is where the Scott lost his MSR bottle and then Mark ran it over, tuff little bottles no damage at all.

Hey where is my MSR bottle? I put it on my bike only because even a few lbs of gas missing on Scott's bike could only help.

We had a few 2-way radios with us that did come in handy a few times when we lost sight of the road or needed to check on the bikes that stopped to adjust gear.

Just about every stop Mark (bubbles) had his camera in action mode.

Here are a few pics from the road down to Jarbrige. To get to this road that had a big road closed sign at the start of it you have to ride right through a ranchers front yard, but we did run into the family on dirt bikes out for a ride and they informed us the road was open and we would have on problem getting to town on bikes.

Made it, and Mike is right! it was one of the better places we ate.

We set camp and washed of the dirt off in the river, burrrrr very cold just ask Dr. Dan he was the only one that would brave a full dip.

Ready for day 3, but wish we could have stayed an extra day in Jarbrige, it was to much to see in one day.
DUCKSPANKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #57
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
I'm N!!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #58
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
June 18, 2012

Day 3

Today’s tracks

After another fantastic meal in Jarbidge at the Outdoor Inn, we headed out. Did I mention how good the breakfast was? They even used homemade bread for the toast! It was really tasty.

Back to the story.

I had seen a rough looking power line road that comes right down into Jarbidge from the west. I tried to climb up it but it was too loose and rocky to bother with while carrying all of our gear. I fell over at least twice and came upon a small tree across the road before I finally figured this out.

So we headed out to the south toward Charleston. What a fantastic road!

We climbed up some sweet roads to a high ridge.

We did some exploring of the ridge.

And then headed further south. It was amazing!

I had a little trouble with finding a way to stay on our route near this house so we changed to another one that would follow the river to the north.

More fun stuff!

I was looking for a place to take a break near the river and found the perfect spot.

So then we got on a road that I thought would just be a dull road out toward Owyhee. I was wrong. It was a great twisty gravel road with huge canyon walls on both sides. It reminded me of some of the canyons I had blasted thru in my boat down at Lake Powell. It was freshly graded which was great for me but not everyone else as I kicked up a lot of dust.

After the cool canyon, we took off on a smaller 2 track road that led us up onto a high plateau that we rode on until we hit the highway south of Owyhee. It was great! The weather was a bit cooler and unfortunately a bit windy but it was still awesome!

Ready to hit the pavement for a while!

Somewhere in here in the last part of the day, Kramsetac’s kickstand broke off. It looked like it broke just like it had when the bike belonged to Robdogg.

We rode north on the highway to Owyhee. Even the highway was cool with some crazy huge rock formations on the sides of the nice curvy road. We ate another unremarkable meal in Owyhee. I ran into the lady who had fed us last year at the little “restaurant” while I was standing in line to buy some water. I could not believe it when she recognized me. What a trip! We all filled up with gas and then headed SW toward the IL Ranch crossing of the Owyhee River. It was getting late so we were trying to make up some time and wanted to find a place up in the hills north of Midas to camp for the night.

My GoPro batteries were all dead so no pictures until the next morning.

We rode thru the area where I crashed last year at about the same time as last year with the sun burning right into our eyes at the same angle just like last year. I was trying really hard not to crash in the same spot just like last year. I was sure happy when we headed south toward Midas and I knew I was past the spot, plus not riding directly into the sun. I stopped and Dr. Dan pulled up. I reminded him of his duty as the official camp spot finder. He took off ahead and rode for a while. Suddenly he stopped and I pulled up alongside him. He said, “How about that grassy spot over there?” as he pointed out into the dry sparse desert. It took my eyes a minute to find anything out there that looked grassy but eventually my eyes settled into a green spot on a shelf above the wash off in the desert. It looked to be pretty well protected from the wind so I agreed and we headed off to set up camp. Everyone else arrived and tents were set up, chairs were assembled and the Jet Boil was fired up. It was not long before we were all ready for some sleep.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #59
BUSdriver
Pop Copy Manager

Oddometer: 79
In some ways, I'm sorry that Bill brought his KLR -- It makes people think this eight day saga of ours is something that could or should be done on such a bike. While it make it through just fine, I think that was more a reflection of the rider (Wild Bill) than the bike. It was the biggest and heaviest bike of the lot, and we went through some pretty tight nasty stuff over the course of the trip.

Mark... I couldn't agree with you more. As much as I struggled with the weight that I carried on my WR... Bill quietly rode through all the crap that we all did on a machine that weighed significantly more... and he made it look easy (it wasn't).

I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by noon I'm only half done.

http://mototrailadventures.blogspot.com/

BUSdriver screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 07:18 PM Reason: goofed
BUSdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #60
ugo1st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Never underestimate the versatility of an old KLR with dirt tires, fresh rider on comfy big seat too...

the day 3 campsite was especially good for Mark+Husky, an old dry wash provided the perfect "kickstand" for the Husky

It was also as much fun riding into and out of this spot as it was to camp there!

stubby

ugo1st is offline   Reply With Quote