ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #76
BJZ
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BJZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Scarsdale, NY
Oddometer: 343
Ride a hopped up KTM 690. A good ride is paved, dirt and trail.
The 690 is fast enough on the pavement and easy for most trails. The variety
Is the great.
__________________
BZ
BJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #77
DirtDancer
Slidin' Downhill
 
DirtDancer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 90
Fun?

You having fun on it? Ride it some more then..
DirtDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #78
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Again, I guess I don't really understand your question. No reason to have a small bike on a gravel route. What's the point?

I rented a CRF250X and was completely disappointed by the top end. I had it sideways on a "gravel route" (forest service road) with it wide open. No joke, I wondered why I bothered with a 250 at that point. It was tall enough that it was hard to turn around on single track (for me, although I have a short inseam). My DR650 is no harder to turn around on single track because I can at least touch the ground where needed. I've never wished for more top end off road with 650cc and can seldom use it all (mostly due to the suspension of the DR650; although small 230 - 250 "dual sport" bikes don't have performance suspension either).

For what it's worth I agree with you, OP may have you on ignore since you aren't reaffirming his opinion.

Why I didnt buy a little bike when I shifted away from pavement. Because regardless of where I choose to go I have between 500 to 1,400 miles of pavement to ride to get there. I dont do the haul it there thing unless I just have to. It aint adventure touring to me if I have to haul it there to have an adventure, the adventure starts the second I walk out of my house.

Like aces said, if I'm hauling I'd have a light weight, probably a plated 2 stroke or maybe a funky little TW 200. But with Texas speed limits of 75 to 80 for most of the state and 85 in a couple of areas and a wind that gust constantly, I'll suffer thru the handicap of a big bike on gravel to have the ability to maintain 70+ for hours on end with my full load. It's a long fuckin day from Dallas to El Paso.
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #79
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Until you bury your 1800 GoldWing trying to cross an eastern Ohio mud bog on a trail ride....

Doesn't make much sense to use an 8 lb sledge when you need to loosen a 10 mm bolt. Now whether you use a box end, open end, ratchet and socket, or crescent wrench is another story..

The motorcycle may just be tools, but it takes close to the right type of tool for the job

Of course that is up to the rider... who may be a tool!
I think that whatever turns a riders screws is the bike he should own....what he tries to do with it tho is another thing (Goldwing+Ohio mud bog? ). I've known guys who ride old school dual shock 6 inch travel dual sports in the dirt and love them, along with the cutting edge dual sport riders, converted mx bikes (which I've done), little bikes like the op, and big ole adventure bikes in places I thought they should never go. They all seem to have the same amount of fun with the tools they're using

I prefer a dirt-oriented 400 to 650 dual-sport with e-start, more so the 650 nowadays because my bikes never get hauled, and since I live in the middle of a huge amount of off-road riding, I like the 650's smooth easy highway nature to go 5 minutes or 5 days from home, and still be dirt-worthy fun for my 6'3" frame. I would never fit on a 230, but a 230 rider would prolly never fit on my 37 inch high 650 either. Thats why there's a bike out there for everyone

I long ago quit questioning why folks didn't ride like me......I'm just glad they ride, and glad to ride with them and have a ball
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #80
acesandeights
Asperger
 
acesandeights's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: So. Oregon
Oddometer: 3,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
...

So, I ask myself, do I really need to spend $8k for the WR250R plus setup and etc when I can just haul my 230L to the CD and ride the CDR just fine, then ship it home?
...
I don't see that your question was properly addressed, so YES. You must spend at least $8k on a bike to do the CDR. You must also ride a bike that is large enough, but not too large, probably something in the 1200cc range. Hope that helps. Have a great trip!
__________________
http://breakingbooks.wordpress.com
http://www.kenmarshallmetalworks.com/
I may not be Rainman, but I'm not stupid eighter. Like Bartek on a taco.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #81
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
...

I prefer a dirt-oriented 400 to 650 dual-sport with e-start, more so the 650 nowadays because my bikes never get hauled, and since I live in the middle of a huge amount of off-road riding, I like the 650's smooth easy highway nature to go 5 minutes or 5 days from home, and still be dirt-worthy fun for my 6'3" frame. I would never fit on a 230, but a 230 rider would prolly never fit on my 37 inch high 650 either. Thats why there's a bike out there for everyone

I long ago quit questioning why folks didn't ride like me......I'm just glad they ride, and glad to ride with them and have a ball
Yeah, good points. I said above if there were a 300L less than 280 lbs that would be what I am looking for. Weight is high on my list. When I started riding, most of the two stroke primitive dual sports were much lighter than the bikes today.

You and others probably rip on your 650s. I have been surprised this summer how timid, scared, and slow the 650 class riders were except my buddy on his 690. And we saw how in the very tight and narrow mountian environment the characteristics of the little 'dog' 230L were superior and much faster than a nice expensive enduro motorcycle. Really, I have observed 650 dual sport riders to be so timid on gravel roads and dirt that my thoughts are I could do what they do on my old GT750!

I live surrounded by mountains, singletrack, FS roads that cross the state that I access a few miles out the County road. I bought the 230L for its tight-trail capability and believed it would work for the WABDR. It is great on both counts!

The WR250R is of interest to me for something like riding to and return from the CD from central WA, and it would have been better on some of the extended highway riding that I have done on the little 230L.

Since the beginning of August, I have done the WABDR and other trips crossing the state. On all of my trips I hit dirt, singletrack needing a capable motorcycle, and gravel roads. The little 'dog' 230L actually does it all, even loaded. Not riding fast and hucking, and not really great above 50 on highway. But all around fun! Some other motorcycles would be similar, just need to decide.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 09:39 AM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #82
pjturbo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Des Moines, WA
Oddometer: 412
You can do it on the 230L. I have a XT-225 that goes everywhere my friends on bigger KTMs go just slower. Last year one of my old, (we're both in our 70s), friends and I took my xt and his 230L to the San Juan Mts. and road all the high passes. The KTMs got to the top quicker but we had a ball.

Side note, the 230L did not have to be rejetted for the elevation.

Phil
pjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #83
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjturbo View Post
You can do it on the 230L. I have a XT-225 that goes everywhere my friends on bigger KTMs go just slower. Last year one of my old, (we're both in our 70s), friends and I took my xt and his 230L to the San Juan Mts. and road all the high passes. The KTMs got to the top quicker but we had a ball.

Side note, the 230L did not have to be rejetted for the elevation.

Phil
Thanks Phil. One of my main worries is that the little dog 230L will be terrible at altitude.. but you saw them do OK, cool.

Yeah, I am 55 and still strong enough to think I can but unfortunately not as flexible as even a decade ago... But I still like that throttle and whatever I ride...will be wound out at times So there is a margin of safety with the 230L or a 250 that is worth considering- especially since I am almost always solo, as I have all of my life, even on gnarly stuff.

Those fast KTMs get left behind by a 230L on the narrow, tight, and gnarly...seen it, lived it BUT, don't care, I ride for me, and ride solo. I really enjoy the scenery, the history, the trip, some folks along the way, the camp. I have no unfulfilled other needs to try to cure with the bigge$t toy or useless roosting followed by hard braking. If I had $1 for every foot that I wheelied on the '70s I could buy a few motorcycles with that! Now I am grown up and have other interests.

How much skill does it take to go smoothly and qulckly on dirt with an underpowered and undersuspended motorcycle, and enjoy it? Perhaps a bit more than the opposite situation.

Edit to add-

Phil I see you live near Pugetopolis. I spent time as a smoke refugee (major fires 50k acres in my county, could not see the sun!) two weeks ago and went from Naches Pass through Seattle for a REI stop, to the ferry out to the coast twice. Sure is a longer trip on the 230L when taking the route to avoid the I-90. I-5, and I-405! But I must say that in that nice clear weather western WA is quite beautiful!

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 09:17 AM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #84
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,334
Have you ever a ridden modern performance off road bike? You know, something that weighs as much or less than your 230, with 2-3x as much power, and with good suspension and brakes? You are absolutely kidding yourself when you say that a KTM will be left behind if you make the motorcycle the variable and not the rider.

If you enjoy your 18 blistering horses on a gravel and dirt road that's cool, but there is a reason why most people (who can afford it) would rather ride something else.

And before I hear the "too much maintenance" argument again, you need to educate yourself. For a modern 450-570 KTM/Berg a 10 minute oil change every couple of thousand kilometers should really not be a serious factor.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #85
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Have you ever a ridden modern performance off road bike? You know, something that weighs as much or less than your 230, with 2-3x as much power, and with good suspension and brakes? You are absolutely kidding yourself when you say that a KTM will be left behind if you make the motorcycle the variable and not the rider.

If you enjoy your 18 blistering horses on a gravel and dirt road that's cool, but there is a reason why most people (who can afford it) would rather ride something else.

And before I hear the "too much maintenance" argument again, you need to educate yourself. For a modern 450-570 KTM/Berg a 10 minute oil change every couple of thousand kilometers should really not be a serious factor.
Valid what you say. But you do not consider what I have described. But lots of assumption and perhaps some derision? Your ego would have been bruised if It was you that I waited for on the tight and gnarly with you on your $10K KTM. Personally, I do not care and do not need to be condescending to others to prop my teutonic ego...

Not surprised that you are yet another condescending, superior KTM cheeleader posting like this. 'If I could afford it.' A88hole. Your are probably stuck living in a 600 sq ft apartment all of your life and driving a little clown car. F'n uppity Euro- wildly jealous of those with wealth and freedom, and of those who own their own property!

Just post elsewhere KTM jerks- not all are like that, my buddy who rides a KTM is not like that at all.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #86
mamm
< advertise here! >
 
mamm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Floripa, Brazil
Oddometer: 201
Why such big bikes on gravel/dirt routes?

Why not???
__________________
2012 R1200GS TB

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #87
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Valid what you say. But you do not consider what I have described. But lots of assumption and perhaps some derision? Your ego would have been bruised if It was you that I waited for on the tight and gnarly with you on your $10K KTM. Personally, I do not care and do not need to be condescending to others to prop my teutonic ego...

Not surprised that you are yet another condescending, superior KTM cheeleader posting like this. 'If I could afford it.' A88hole. Your are probably stuck living in a 600 sq ft apartment all of your life and driving a little clown car. F'n uppity Euro- wildly jealous of those with wealth and freedom, and of those who own their own property!

Just post elsewhere KTM jerks- not all are like that, my buddy who rides a KTM is not like that at all.
It seems I have hit a nerve? It's ok man, I still live in my parents basement, listen to a lot of Euro trash music and I have a very small penis. Now that this is out in the open let's leave your closed minded political BS aside and get back to discussing bikes.

In order for this argument to make any sense you are going to have to take the rider out of the equation. We all know that a better rider will trump a better bike each time, but that's not the point. Your skills are your skills, whether I am going to put you on a KTM or a 230L.

Let me ask again, have you tried out a modern 400-570 KTM/Husaberg/whatever performance off road bike? I don't think you have, because then you could not honestly tell me that you have more fun on your 230L. And you would not ask the question why many riders enjoy faster bikes on gravel and dirt routes.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #88
perterra
-. --- .--. .
 
perterra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
It seems I have hit a nerve? It's ok man, I still live in my parents basement, listen to a lot of Euro trash music and I have a very small penis. Now that this is out in the open let's leave your closed minded political BS aside and get back to discussing bikes.

In order for this argument to make any sense you are going to have to take the rider out of the equation. We all know that a better rider will trump a better bike each time, but that's not the point. Your skills are your skills, whether I am going to put you on a KTM or a 230L.

Let me ask again, have you tried out a modern 400-570 KTM/Husaberg/whatever performance off road bike? I don't think you have, because then you could not honestly tell me that you have more fun on your 230L. And you would not ask the question why many riders enjoy faster bikes on gravel and dirt routes.
Trust me, the nerves are close to the surface on this one. I have already been on the receiving end of a nasty gram.
__________________
My Father was my maker. Poverty was my maker. Distrust was my maker. I have met them all my life.


IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #89
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
Why not???
True, have done it. I guess I have some other reasons such as ease of handling in very tight situations, weight, gas mileage. I am not against big bnikes on gravel, I am discussing the pros and cons considering various usage.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #90
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Trust me, the nerves are close to the surface on this one. I have already been on the receiving end of a nasty gram.
It would appear so, he just called me Adolf in another thread... I must have missed the memo that living in Austria makes you a Nazi or something?

That's the kind of discussion I would expect to have with a 12 year old and not a mature and obviously very sedate older (not so gentle)man.

LukasM screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 10:14 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014