Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #91
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
It would appear so, he just called me Adolf in another thread... I must have missed the memo that living in Austria makes you a Nazi or something?

That's the kind of discussion I would expect to have with a 12 year old and not a mature and obviously very sedate older gentleman.

I have decided we must be at fault for not recognizing his extraordinary abilities. Pretty sure he followed Hailwood around the track in the day and passed him on the last lap, taught Malcom Smith how to ride dirt.

He's a real swell fella, a real jewel.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #92
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
True, have done it.
I still do it. I don't have many options really, since I always travel 2-up w/ luggage. A small bike is not an option for me right now. So there goes the big GS up (and down) many gravel roads:

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #93
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamm View Post
I still do it. I don't have many options really, since I always travel 2-up w/ luggage. A small bike is not an option for me right now. So there goes the big GS up (and down) many gravel roads:

Very nice. I met some guys traveling similarly here, some with their wife on back.

I am fortunate in that I look out the window at mountains that have single track and roads. So a little bike for me is very useful.

Agreed just to do the CD gravel road a big bike would work. I admit, I am after something else, a bike that is easy for offroad or singletrack is more important for me than comfort on highway.

Thanks.
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #94
mamm
< advertise here! >

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
a bike that is easy for offroad or singletrack is more important for me than comfort on highway.
Nothing wrong with that, a man has got to know his priorities!

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.
mamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #95
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:

You are correct I have not bought or ridden a 'modern' high performance motorcycle- that type of bike and riding is not what I am interested in doing. Most guys that I see use those expensive rides to do the same as I do on my CRF230L, faster in the open of course- but I think, what is the point, I ride the same stuff on a less expensive motorcycle just fine.

It would take a lot of good hard data/ convincing/ real advantage for me to put down $10k for a dual purpose motorcycle. I could, I have the cash, but at my age I just do not see why I should unless there is a real advantage. With the mechanical and maintenance issues I see negatives, not advantage for the Euro bikes or even the CRF- X.
Ever heard of a used motorcycle? One does not have to drop 10k to have a better bike.

And in regards to your "if it was a 300 with better suspension" comment,

If it was it would cost $1000 more and you fuckers would bitch it was too high strung and you could get a drz
Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #96
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Thumb Still undecided

Still undecided. Cannot see yet 100% that spending even $8k to set up a new WR250R will give me $8k worth of improvement over the 230L Adventure (I like that name, it probably pisses off the KTM fascists)

But there is mostly good discussion coming in here, thank you.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #97
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Good general points. I paid $2900 for the little dog 230L in May perfect condition with 900 miles.

I have read about water pump failures on the WR250R, so a new one with Warranty may be best. Warranty especialy if I plan to go put lots of miles on the motorcycle traveling.

From what I have observed of guys riding DR 400s in the mountains, I would never have one. I would consider a DR650, great for traveling and looks less top heavy (but still a pig) than a DR 400

I would be happy to pay $7k for my air-cooled Honda CRF300L thumper that weighs <290lbs and has decent suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Ever heard of a used motorcycle? One does not have to drop 10k to have a better bike.

And in regards to your "if it was a 300 with better suspension" comment,

If it was it would cost $1000 more and you fuckers would bitch it was too high strung and you could get a drz
Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #98
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
Just go away. Trying to have discussion here. Crybaby. Nobody cares what you think of me, especially me.

You and Adolf want to be snarky or condescending/ superior and not get anything back, eh? FOAD, go away unless the purpose is real discussion of the topic here.
Ah, man, you sound so angry. You might need to back off the java for awhile. And really dude, Adolf, thats embarrassing. Oh well, off to ride my tractor and fist my cow.

IBA 22425
Old 10-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #99
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Great Thread and a valid questions for most of us....
Everyone has opinions, some stronger than others !
However we all should be happy to have so many choices and many have choices sitting in the garage beside each-other. How great is that...
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #100
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefyj View Post
Great Thread and a valid questions for most of us....
Everyone has opinions, some stronger than others !
However we all should be happy to have so many choices and many have choices sitting in the garage beside each-other. How great is that...
Thanks.It looks like you have a XR400R? Looks optimal for what I would want for some adventure routes! Good weight, good stock gas tank, but what is your MPG?

The XR400R is what, 20 lbs lighter than the new CRF250L? Frustruating that such good motorcycles were available in the past and now...lots of heavy pig bikes and unreliable light high-performance bikes.

General information
Model: Honda XR 400 R
Year: 2002
Category: Cross / motocross
Rating: 69.6 out of 100. Show full rating and compare with other bikes
Engine and transmission
Displacement: 397.00 ccm (24.22 cubic inches)
Engine type: Single cylinder, four-stroke
Compression: 9.3:1
Bore x stroke: 85.0 x 70.0 mm (3.3 x 2.8 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel control: SOHC
Cooling system: Air
Gearbox: 5-speed
Transmission type,
final drive: Chain
Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Front suspension travel: 279 mm (11.0 inches)
Rear suspension travel: 300 mm (11.8 inches)
Front tyre dimensions: 80/100-21
Rear tyre dimensions: 110/100-18
Front brakes: Single disc
Rear brakes: Single disc
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight: 116.6 kg (257.1 pounds)
Seat height: 930 mm (36.6 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Ground clearance: 310 mm (12.2 inches)
Wheelbase: 1,425 mm (56.1 inches)
Fuel capacity: 11.40 litres (3.01 gallons)
Reserve fuel capacity: 1.80 litres (0.48 gallons)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #101
VixObs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Wow...

I was enjoying this thread when all of a sudden it deteriorated. Anyway, boys will be boys...

My reasoning for getting a smaller dual sport are:
1. New to dirt riding (almost 5yrs/90k miles on the road)
2. I'm 5'4" with 29 1/2" inseam and average strength for a chick
3. Trailering isn't an option (I own a "clown car")
4. Budget is $2-3 grand (used)

It's nice to know that folks have ridden everywhere on everything. I can't afford to nor would I want to have a bike for every off-road application as some have mentioned. Just one dual sport will have to do it all for me as far as adventure traveling goes. Of course I will always have the option of upgrading just like I did when I sold by Ninja 250 to get a Street Triple. People couldn't believe the little Ninja had enough power to deal with LA traffic for an hour long commute into the city but I never had any issues with it at all. After riding 12k through the US and Canada I'm certain Southern California has the worst drivers so I'm not worried about getting run off the freeway by a school bus. Route choice, skill, awareness, tactics/strategy, etc, play a bigger role in staying out of harm's way than hp and cc's. Even with my limited off-roading knowledge I'm sure the same concept applies.

I'm envisioning more of a "Lois on the Loose" as opposed to an Ewan and Charlie type adventure. At the top of my list is the mighty Honda CRF 230L. I can handle any of its shortcomings as I am sure it will be able to deal with mine.

VixObs screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 12:04 PM Reason: sp
VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #102
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Thanks for thoughtful and interesting comments, and for redirecting the conversation! The 230L is not appreciated and not understood. My biggest complaint is vibration on-highway, along with being a dog above 50MPH. The vibration is the worst problem, but lots of good suggestions on another thread to help that.

The CRF230L gets the job done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VixObs View Post
I was enjoying this thread when all of a sudden it deteriorated. Anyway, boys will be boys...

My reasoning for getting a smaller dual sport are:
1. New to dirt riding (almost 5yrs/90k miles on the road)
2. I'm 5'4" with 29 1/2" inseam and average strength for a chick
3. Trailering isn't an option (I own a "clown car")
4. Budget is $2-3 grand (used)

It's nice to know that folks have ridden everywhere on everything. I can't afford to nor would I want to have a bike for every off-road application as some have mentioned. Just one dual sport will have to do it all for me as far as adventure traveling goes. Of course I will always have the option of upgrading just like I did when I sold by Ninja 250 to get a Street Triple. People couldn't believe the little Ninja had enough power to deal with LA traffic for an hour long commute into the city but I never had any issues with it at all. After riding 12k through the US and Canada I'm certain Southern California has the worst drivers so I'm not worried about getting run off the freeway by a school bus. Route choice, skill, awareness, tactics/strategy, etc, play a bigger role in staying out of harm's way than hp and cc's. Even with my limited off-roading knowledge I'm sure the same concept applies.

I'm envisioning more of a "Lois on the Loose" as opposed to an Ewan and Charlie type adventure. At the top of my list is the mighty Honda CRF 230L. I can handle any of its shortcomings as I am sure it will be able to deal with mine.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 12:24 PM
Old 10-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #103
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I think I actually answered your question about why I bought a larger bike Let me just say I am leaving on a trip so I will not be able to offer my sterling insight into this thread, but you would be better served to ask only those who agree with you to reply if you get all twisted this easy.

Have a very nice weekend little feller

There is a lot of good discussion here, thanks for those contributing. This guy perterra is determined to derail the discussion. Just go away.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 12:30 PM
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #104
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Quote:
. Just go away.
Just fan yourself a while Buttercup, I'm leaving.

IBA 22425
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #105
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Back on topic: ADV dream

If this had a motor for dual-sport/ adventure routes, how sweet would that be?