Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #1291
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post
You can do way better than $4200 for a R65.
Put this into Google and knock yourself out --> intitle:bmw r65 -classifieds site:craigslist.org

The Rally they have in Morocco would probably be cheaper to get to but don't know what the entry fees run.

When you get time we want your thoughts on Paul's bike. Is he still building frames? Is it an R100gs frame? Would you try building your own? Is the R65 engine where a lot of the weight savings is?

I busted up my only good shoulder while you were out having fun so I am out of commission again but bike building could keep me occupied for awhile.

Glad you made it back in one piece.
R65 is a good place to start, simply becuase of the 20mils a side that its thinner. I guess its not a deal breaker, but the engine is lighter by a little bit, and for modified bike like this, every weight savings come from little tiny gains everywhere, not any one big thing.
Also I think you can stuff some 1000cc pistons in it, making it better than a 650.
I dont want to steal any of Paul's hard earned ideas, but imitiation is the sincerely form of flattery

He's still building frames. Possibly I could put in a dime on one of his new frames, that would be pretty sweet, actually.

A chromoly frame would help a lot

The Morrocco rally, Tuareg do you mean?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #1292
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
The Morrocco rally, Tuareg do you mean?
Ya, that's the one.

Russ
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #1293
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Swing arm ??

Could you get used to the mono lever ? Or would you prefer the paralever ?

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #1294
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
Could you get used to the mono lever ? Or would you prefer the paralever ?
Getting used to the monolever was no problem. I dont think I care, handling wise. We've proved my speed is not going to be a factor, so lets just have fun and make it easy, if possible Paul was talking about going 1150 swingarm just for the extra length and travel you get out of it, and possibly its lighter? dont have to fabricate a longer swingarm and shaft, its all right there. Dont know if it will fit inside the frame pivots easily, though. Would have to make new schock mounts regardless.
And also 3 lug hubs are becoming rarer and more expensive, so it would be nice to get a four-lug wheel out of the deal.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #1295
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Getting used to the monolever was no problem. Paul was talking about going 1150 swingarm just for the extra length and travel you get out of it, and possibly its lighter? dont have to fabricate a longer swingarm and shaft, its all right there. Dont know if it will fit inside the frame pivots easily, though. Would have to make new schock mounts regardless.
And also 3 lug hubs are becoming rarer and more expensive, so it would be nice to get a four-lug wheel out of the deal.
I never found data about the travel that a 1150 swing arm could make in an Airhead frame.

The 3 lug hubs are getting a bit expensive indeed.

Still got 4 hubs, so I have some time before they are all worn out.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #1296
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 578
There is a possibility that some new 3 nuts hubs could potentially be cast in the not so far future. Fingers crossed!
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #1297
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
There is a possibility that some new 3 nuts hubs could potentially be cast in the not so far future. Fingers crossed!
That would be great !!!

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 10-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #1298
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Spinner View Post
I was thinking of having a smaller diameter hub machined with disc brake mounts. It'd really only need to be the outer diameter of the 3 lug holes. Ditch that big thick cast iron ring for a pretty useful reduction in rotating unsprung weight as well. The stock hub weighs 7 pounds. I bet I could get it down to about 3 or 4.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #1299
Gone-Native
XPLORER

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
I have been wondering the same thing over the last two days. What do you think? If I am going to do SAfari again, I'll probably have to wait till 2014... try to build a bike this time, and get sponsors or at it will take me that long to afford it- pretty sure Paul wants somebody whose faster than I am. Regardless, I have a much better idea of what this all takes, now, and was thinking maybe MAx would be interested in supplying a bunch of parts on a return them unused or pay type deal, for me to take with me- I think I can find a good mechanic who would be able to afford his own flight at least, and maybe i could split a service vehicle rental with another American going down? who knows...

WHat else is there? Dakar is not in my world. So what is the next thing? I am dying to find out, myself

There's a '79 R65 in Ibmwr right now for $4200
Dude..... I'll help you build it! We got milling machines at the shop Tig welder...... Mmmmmmmm
Now we just need one of those frames
Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #1300
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,014
Jason, we need to know the full story of the cattle grid.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #1301
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
Jason, we need to know the full story of the cattle grid.
A moments hesitation...

Following along a track with the fence on my right. Come to a crossroad, cattle grid on my right, perpendicular to the road I'm about to cross. Look at raodbook, its a little bit unclear, looks like I might jump to the other side of the fence here at the cross road.

Start to head that way, (bearing right a little) when it becomes obvious the track I was supposed to continue on went straight ahead. Bear back left a bit and now I am center grid, and the front tire drops down into it Then the back tire did.

I step off bike and the camera guy who was filming me comes over to help, but one of the red shirts warns him off saying "no outside assistance!" so the red shirt and i (And by this time Francesco had turned around to help) lifted the damn bike out, lol it had sunk up to its axles.

/me shakes head, rolls eyes Very funny, actually.

This looks difficult: but a lot cheaper than Safari:

http://www.tuareg-rallye.com/
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #1302
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,855
I am offering up my services....if you ever need a "Ted" to join you to drive or and wrench, I'm your guy?! If I can afford it. I know I will never be a real rally person, but I would love to help you be one.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 09:57 AM
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #1303
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

good lord, I'll take you up on that, but I'll never be a real rally person either, probably no matter how many of them I do

We can try, though, and pretend
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #1304
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,855
Quote:
good lord, I'll take you up on that, but I'll never be a real rally person either, probably no matter how many of them I do

We can try, though, and pretend
Yeah you are.... Rallying in my eyes is about being able to adapt and having the spirit to survive, not being factory sponsored, babied, and all that fluffy shit. You ride fast, break shit, fix shit, have fun, and make other people want to do it. I think that's what rallying is about. It's funny, when I think back on the 2 races I've done, my most cherished moments are with others. Usually transiting with JJ and Pete, or hauling ass back to service with those guys after tightening up the final drive and pouring stolen ATF fluid in it. !!! (Thanks Pete and Ryan!).
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #1305
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Yeah you are.... Rallying in my eyes is about being able to adapt and having the spirit to survive, not being factory sponsored, babied, and all that fluffy shit. You ride fast, break shit, fix shit, have fun, and make other people want to do it. I think that's what rallying is about. It's funny, when I think back on the 2 races I've done, my most cherished moments are with others. Usually transiting with JJ and Pete, or hauling ass back to service with those guys after tightening up the final drive and pouring stolen ATF fluid in it. !!! (Thanks Pete and Ryan!).
Man that is a story for the records as well, isnt it? haha- I love that living off the land thing, although its definitely much nicer not have to do that :lol

THats really very nice what you say- and OK, I'll buy it. There's always something cleverer than yourself, and one shouldnt get too tied up in results, unless you are trying to make a living of some kind off of it, rather than making a life of it.

something like that.

The irnoy right now, haha, is that I just went back and checked on the R65's previous results on '09 and '10, and honestly they dont look significantly different than mine. So I feel a lot better, although I wish I rode faster, regardless. The 12 hour penalty didnt help one bit, although I would have scored many places higher, even with the every-tipover-is-going-to-cost-you-two-hours-of-repair-time. If Paul thinks I should have been faster, well, there's not necessarily a precedent for that, anywhere. Major rationalizations, bwhatthehell

I feel like thanks to Paul and the gang I have a rough idea of what it takes... I think I can do it again, if I just have enough spares :lol and if I built the bike, I'm pretty sure I would be able to fix almost anything on it.

HEY are you doing Sandblast? :Ear