User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
iriebelle OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
1978 bmw r100s sitting for five years

Hey dudes and dudettes. I recently came across a 1978 r100s and am wondering what the value of this bike is. First off it has sat for 5 years in a garage. 44k on the clock. it needs all new wear items, basically all of the rubber is rotting. The shocks need to be rebuilt. carbs suprisingly look clean. all electronics look good. the sad part, I did a compression test and i have 155 on the left and 75 on the right. I have done my fair share of german rebuilds so I feel confident in my own abilities but im concerned about parts. In my experience any thing labeled BMW adds 40% to the price tag and then Im just worried about sourcing parts. Any sort of help or smart ass comments would be cool........
iriebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Schlivitz
Mercury Freefall

Oddometer: 61
You'll find the parts. But unless you get that bike for about nuthin', it would probably be cheaper to get a runner. I guess it kinda' depends on how bad you figure that poor motorcycle needs you.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 328
How much do you think you'd have to pay to own the bike?
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,925
Check Hans Lowe's website for parts and prices, etc:

http://bmwhucky.com/

MAX BMW has parts and an online parts fiche:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

Ted Porter has parts and service:

http://www.beemershop.com/

It's do-able but not impossible.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,598
It doesn't sound too bad up front. The price you have to pay for the bike is important but maybe it's helpful if I tell you that in general owning a vintage motorcycle, BMW just being one of the better examples, is a money loosing proposition. You will spend 5 or 6 thousand dollars to ride a 3 thousand dollar motocycle.

What color is she?

If you give a few pictures we might do better on assigning value.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
owning a vintage motorcycle, BMW just being one of the better examples, is a money loosing proposition. You will spend 5 or 6 thousand dollars to ride a 3 thousand dollar motocycle.
don't tell my wife that.

on the flipside of this, you spend the extra 3 grand to have a classic you can ride the shit out of and still get parts for at many of the local dealers. try getting parts for a 30 yr old suzuki from the dealer.

you pay for em, but everything is avalable
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,936
It's really hard to say what it's worth from your description. Not enough data.

The low compression might just be from a bit of carbon between a valve and its seat.

That particular bike, if in good shape is fairly desirable, so don't write it off as worthless.

These bikes can be expensive if you don't work on them yourself. Since I do, I've found them to be very economical. Once in decent shape (not perfect, just good strong runners) they'll cross the country no problem! If kept up and maintained, they last a long long time.

When a bike's been sitting for a long time it's possible for water to settle in the transmission and rust the bearings. Mice like to build nests in the air filter. And chew up the wiring as well. Tanks rust out. Tires get old and rotted.

So it all depends how far down it's gone and the asking price.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
iriebelle OP
Adventurer

So here's the whole story. The guy who owns the bike has a hand full of different bikes that he doesn't/cant ride (one of them being a 1974 ducati 750 which is just heartbreaking to see it sit) and he has asked me to borrow it for a couple years and just keep it ridden. Well as the title of the post says it has been sitting for five years and needs all of the usual stuff. I let him know all of this and have started the conversion with him about me buying off of him. I have wanted one of these for a while and the fact that is it an s model makes it even sweeter. I do all of my own work so no mechanic needed. I have never owned a BMW bike (used to have 1974 2002 model) so i am new to the unique design. Another thing to mention is that I redid the compression test and they were both at 160 so there is nothing to worry about there. If I could get this thing for $500-$1000 is that reasonable or too much? Here is the list so far as I see it. tires, wheel bearings Brake pads lines, shocks rebuilt, new handle bar mounted mc, head bearing look see, cleaning electrical contacts, gaskets and seals almost everywhere, paint, and new single tail section. I think that is a good start. Thanks for all of the input so far. If it would let me I would post some pictures. The color to me right now is that orangy red with a painted picture of the bike on the tank. Those links are great for parts. I think it is safe to say that I have already gotten attached to her in my garage next to the klr, and i would love to have a project for this winter.

iriebelle screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 08:18 PM
Old 10-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 477
That price range: very extremely worth it based off what we know right now.

Not that there can't be catastrophically worse things wrong with it we DON'T know, of course.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,241
What tail section are you after? The 3/4 seat ones are becoming silly priced, but they can be bought after market from flat racer in the uk reasonably priced.
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 328
A 1978 r100s with 44K on the clock for $500 to $1000? Yes, that is in the "ideal" range for a project bike. Your worklist is sounding good too. The advice you're getting above is spot on. By comparison, I bought my 1975 R75/6 with 44K on the clock for $1100. It too had been sitting for a long while. The tranny bearings had rusted and I had Tom Cutter rebuild the transmission ($500 at the time). New fork boots, all new rubber bits, tires, battery, new cables, new fluids etc etc and I ended up putting another $2500 into the bike or thereabouts. My /6 now has 101K miles on the clock. I've put rebuilt heads in and had a ring job in that time. Did much of my own work. I ride the bike on a 3K mile trip every year for the past seven years. These are great, reliable machines. If you can get in at the price point you're talking about, this is pretty much a no-lose proposition.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #12
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 678
Cool2 nice

IF COMPLETE and missing no major parts.....I will step out on a limb......Providing paint original and still good.
That bike is worth at least $2,500.

We need more information......IF it runs, even MORE!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #13
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by iriebelle View Post
If it would let me I would post some pictures. The color to me right now is that orangy red with a painted picture of the bike on the tank. .
Wait.....what? I gotta see this!!!!! You have to get a photo sharing website like smugmug or flickr, photobucket. Put you pics there the paste the url addy here---->

Here's a link.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
iriebelle OP
Adventurer

http://iriebelle.smugmug.com/Motorcy...5002&k=39P3tC5
Last night I was looking at the front end and noticed that the top triple is bent. I guess the parts list is growing
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,598
What HWG said. You have to have a picture account that will host the photo and you link your post here to the photo.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote