Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
bushyb OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Shoud I replace my diode board?

I am sure this has been asked before; I just couldn't find the answer that fits my situation. After setting up a 1982 R100RS that had been is storage for 8 or 9 years the job is complete and looks good and I am happy at the outcome. I have also asked some of this before. I have fitted a new battery, had the started serviced and new solenoid fitted, replace the relay, checked the float level etc. All is good. In the mornings I struggle to start the bike it is almost as if there is too much compression yet if I crank it a couple of times it as if the battery gets flat. I then put it on charge and go to work. When I am back from work its warmer ever so slightly then it starts. Once it starts its fine and will start again and again that afternoon and evening with prolonged brakes in-between. Once it starts it runs great so there are no issues with the float level or the fuel settings and tuning.
The generator light comes on when the ignition is turned on and once started goes out as it should and shows no sign that it is not charging. I do believe there is no short anywhere that will cause the battery to lose charge.
I am not to clued-up with electrical things but I did read somewhere that there might be a damaged diode that when the ignition is turned off the battery leaks back through the diode board creating a loss of battery power or charge. That is what I understand from the reading.
My thoughts are that this could be the situation, that the bike struggles to start and that the diode board needs replacing. There must be some simple tests to check the diodes but I think I will struggle with understanding the process and measurements.
This is the million dollar question: Will a bad or defective diode board create a situation that makes the bike difficult to start and having to top up the battery constantly?
I have just managed to start the bike and checked the volt metre its showing about 13 volts at about 2000 rpm, if I rev it a bit it goes a bit over that.
One other thing it sometimes starts with the choke 1/2 on and other time with the choke off. When I use the choke it is as if it struggles even more. I have made sure the choke start valve is in the right way round.
Any thought welcome.
bushyb is offline   Reply With Quote