ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
vernon dent OP
Studly Adventurer
 
vernon dent's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: apparently halfway to motorcycle hell
Oddometer: 697
1968 suzuki t500 cobra

picked this up from a guy today who traded a conveyor belt for it. 9900 miles, rough, but it runs and is titled.

__________________
I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work.
Oddball
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer
 
MacNoob's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: The mosquito-y Center of Canada
Oddometer: 1,524
Nice. Why isn't it smoking? ;)
__________________
Quote:
"Ignorance, you see, can be out thought. Arrogance can be outmaneuvered. But ignorance and arrogance combined are unassailable."
82 Honda C70, 71 Honda CL175, 08 Kawasaki KLR650, 85 Honda GL1200 Goldwing
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
dpforth
no inline fours
 
dpforth's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Fantasy, I mean Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 289
Check the front hub for cracks (webs inside the drum).
__________________
This species has amused itself to death
dpforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
killfile
49/50
 
killfile's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: SF, CA
Oddometer: 353
Are you going to come back to this thread and tell us how you flipped it on ebay or in the ADV flea market, like all your other bikes/threads?
__________________
Gallery MotoSF & Neoedo
killfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #5
vernon dent OP
Studly Adventurer
 
vernon dent's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: apparently halfway to motorcycle hell
Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfile View Post
Are you going to come back to this thread and tell us how you flipped it on ebay or in the ADV flea market, like all your other bikes/threads?
oh the bike will be sold. ebay, cl, or some other web site. when i do i'll make sure i pm you so you can post it up.
some members just like to see bikes you don't see everyday, thats why i post the pictures. i don't solicit leads from these postings, nor do i imply i'm going to bring them back to running condition.
a lot of members on this site purchase motorcycles, then re-sell them just like auto/trucks, recreational vehicles, livestock, real estate, your neighbors riding mower you bought at his garage sale, etc.
yep, i buy and sell a few, no secret.
__________________
I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work.
Oddball
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
killfile
49/50
 
killfile's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: SF, CA
Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon dent View Post
oh the bike will be sold. ebay, cl, or some other web site. when i do i'll make sure i pm you so you can post it up.
some members just like to see bikes you don't see everyday, thats why i post the pictures. i don't solicit leads from these postings, nor do i imply i'm going to bring them back to running condition.
a lot of members on this site purchase motorcycles, then re-sell them just like auto/trucks, recreational vehicles, livestock, real estate, your neighbors riding mower you bought at his garage sale, etc.
yep, i buy and sell a few, no secret.

I believe that most of the people that fix, repair and up keep old motorcycles are like a loose knit family. If I had not been given some very kind free advice and been offered numerous bikes from charitable individuals, I wouldn't have the small collection that I have now (all of which I ride). Personally, I'm a little offended when I see individuals that go after exceptional deals, haggle to no end with sellers to get ultra low prices and then flip bikes for high prices.

This thread is a perfect example of that, but thank goodness the bike is now in the hands of someone that is putting some proper work into it, rather than just flipping it:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772319

In the 90s I bought about 15-20 bikes for between free and $300. I turned around and sold most of those bikes to people in my local motorcycle community for the price I paid, or for slightly more to cover my cost only. One of the last bikes I sold was a fairly amazing specimen that I had purchased for $300, with a number of problems. I took the bike completely apart, did some work, but didn't complete the bike before I decided to move to another state. I sold this bike to a young man that was trying to get started on vintage bikes with his first purchase. I sold it to him for $600, a fraction of what it was worth, but an amount that respected the price I had purchased the bike for, and who it was going to. When I returned home a couple years later, one of the local shop openers came and told me to my face that I had been silly to sell such a bike for such a low price, and that he had gouged every penny out of the poor kid to finish fixing the bike, to the extent of $2000. He was proud of how he had made money off a new individual into the community, I was horrified.

I believe the interconnectivity of the web has grossly inflated the profit margin on vintage motorcycle, as well as the resulting prices. Personally, I think this is a shame, as I see this as people who put money above the love of motorcycles and above working to keep the local and global motorcycle communities alive. For every post like the Kawasaki Triple post, I feel saddened by people's greed and selfishness, but those that are motivated by money are not the types to care about my opinion. I guess I'll have to keep throwing free shows for my local community and trying to broker vintage motorcycle sales at reasonable prices. Anyone want a R50/2 at a reasonable price and promises to ride it instead of flipping it on ebay?

YMMV.
__________________
Gallery MotoSF & Neoedo
killfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
assquatch20
Hoss Cat
 
assquatch20's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Chattanooga
Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfile View Post
Anyone want a R50/2 at a reasonable price and promises to ride it instead of flipping it on ebay?
Ha, you bet I do! I don't know what a reasonable price for a /2 is though.
__________________
Some things shouldn't be left like you found them.
assquatch20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
vernon dent OP
Studly Adventurer
 
vernon dent's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: apparently halfway to motorcycle hell
Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfile View Post
I believe that most of the people that fix, repair and up keep old motorcycles are like a loose knit family. If I had not been given some very kind free advice and been offered numerous bikes from charitable individuals, I wouldn't have the small collection that I have now (all of which I ride). Personally, I'm a little offended when I see individuals that go after exceptional deals, haggle to no end with sellers to get ultra low prices and then flip bikes for high prices.

This thread is a perfect example of that, but thank goodness the bike is now in the hands of someone that is putting some proper work into it, rather than just flipping it:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772319

In the 90s I bought about 15-20 bikes for between free and $300. I turned around and sold most of those bikes to people in my local motorcycle community for the price I paid, or for slightly more to cover my cost only. One of the last bikes I sold was a fairly amazing specimen that I had purchased for $300, with a number of problems. I took the bike completely apart, did some work, but didn't complete the bike before I decided to move to another state. I sold this bike to a young man that was trying to get started on vintage bikes with his first purchase. I sold it to him for $600, a fraction of what it was worth, but an amount that respected the price I had purchased the bike for, and who it was going to. When I returned home a couple years later, one of the local shop openers came and told me to my face that I had been silly to sell such a bike for such a low price, and that he had gouged every penny out of the poor kid to finish fixing the bike, to the extent of $2000. He was proud of how he had made money off a new individual into the community, I was horrified.

I believe the interconnectivity of the web has grossly inflated the profit margin on vintage motorcycle, as well as the resulting prices. Personally, I think this is a shame, as I see this as people who put money above the love of motorcycles and above working to keep the local and global motorcycle communities alive. For every post like the Kawasaki Triple post, I feel saddened by people's greed and selfishness, but those that are motivated by money are not the types to care about my opinion. I guess I'll have to keep throwing free shows for my local community and trying to broker vintage motorcycle sales at reasonable prices. Anyone want a R50/2 at a reasonable price and promises to ride it instead of flipping it on ebay?

YMMV.
Rick Brett is probably the most knowledgeable and comprehensive collector/restorer/retailer of early kawasaki's in the world.
ultimately that bike will be restored to concourse condition, then sold for a price that makes what i sold it for look like peanuts. or he may already have a buyer for it overseeing the bikes restoration. Rick does the same thing i do, just on a much larger scale. i buy 'em one at a time, a few a year.
http://www.classickawasaki.com/
http://www.classickawasaki.com/bikesforsale.htm
i disagree with your statement that the internet has grossly over inflated a bike or a bike parts worth. i think its just the opposite.
__________________
I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work.
Oddball
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfile View Post
For every post like the Kawasaki Triple post, I feel saddened by people's greed and selfishness, but those that are motivated by money are not the types to care about my opinion..
given the condition of that bike what was he supposed to pay for it. that thing had more issues than bikes that are on ships sunken during WW2.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
Valleyrider
I Survived The '60s
 
Valleyrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho Panhandler
Oddometer: 1,834
Nice find!! Hope the crankseals are OK...
__________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14934865@N07/
'07 1250 Bandit, '06 650 VStrom, '78 SR500E
'68 Yamaha DT1, '78 TT500 and no money
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48000856@N06/
Valleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
killfile
49/50
 
killfile's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: SF, CA
Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon dent View Post
ick Brett is probably the most knowledgeable and comprehensive collector/restorer/retailer of early kawasaki's in the world.
i disagree with your statement that the internet has grossly over inflated a bike or a bike parts worth. i think its just the opposite.
Yes, thank god that bike is in Rick's hands now. He fixes them up and sells his work for a profit, which is very different than buy a bike and simply passing it along for 5x the price.
I don't see how you can say the net has brought prices down. It has made parts more available and easier to find, but they are at a premium now. This price increase has filtered down to even the swamp meets out here, where every Tom Dick and Harry thinks the rusty parts they bring to the swaps are coated in gold.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
given the condition of that bike what was he supposed to pay for it. that thing had more issues than bikes that are on ships sunken during WW2.
Vernon paid a low amount for the bike and then sold it to someone else for 5x the price, without doing a single thing to it. From this post, I'm assuming that's common behavior for him, hence my post.


Valleyrider is right, good luck with the crank seals, and don't forget the 1400 cc improvement while you are in there.
__________________
Gallery MotoSF & Neoedo
killfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
vernon dent OP
Studly Adventurer
 
vernon dent's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: apparently halfway to motorcycle hell
Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfile View Post
Yes, thank god that bike is in Rick's hands now. He fixes them up and sells his work for a profit, which is very different than buy a bike and simply passing it along for 5x the price.
I don't see how you can say the net has brought prices down. It has made parts more available and easier to find, but they are at a premium now. This price increase has filtered down to even the swamp meets out here, where every Tom Dick and Harry thinks the rusty parts they bring to the swaps are coated in gold.



Vernon paid a low amount for the bike and then sold it to someone else for 5x the price, without doing a single thing to it. From this post, I'm assuming that's common behavior for him, hence my post.


Valleyrider is right, good luck with the crank seals, and don't forget the 1400 cc improvement while you are in there.
i don't think its brought bikes or bike parts prices down, i think now their true value is now being shown in a world market compared to a local, regional or national one.
Rick knew what i bought the bike for, he also knew its inherent value. i've bought motorcycles that i know people have bought for a fraction of what i paid them for it, but i wanted the bike. and like Brett, i sold them and made a profit.
if you gauge your behavior in everyday life based on how much someone is making off you, i don't know how you survive. especially in san francisco.
i'm familiar with the gear box issues inherent in the earlier t500's. it won't be an issue for me.
__________________
I only ride 'em. I don't know what makes 'em work.
Oddball
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfile View Post
Vernon paid a low amount for the bike and then sold it to someone else for 5x the price, without doing a single thing to it.
so based on that it's safe to say that if the original owner of that train wreck of an H2 had wheeled (assuming it rolls) the bike into Rick Brett's shop and said "what will you give me for it" Rick Brett would have given him exactly what he paid for it on ebay. get real Vernon isn't gouging anyone he came across a bike in need of serious help and sold it for what someone was willing to pay for it. it's not some starter like you "sold to people in your community for the price you paid" the bike is one of the later year H2's which were made in significantly less numbers than the earlier ones and are in serious enough demand to warrant what it brought plain and simple. your not very well hidden premise that Vernon is gouging people is bullshit.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon dent View Post
picked this up from a guy today who traded a conveyor belt for it. 9900 miles, rough, but it runs and is titled.

buff it.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
killfile
49/50
 
killfile's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: SF, CA
Oddometer: 353
and he's going to flip it on ebay, which appears to be the usual:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...#ht_500wt_1021

$2750

Hopefully it will end up in the hands of someone that will treat it right. If it sells at that price it most likely go abroad.
__________________
Gallery MotoSF & Neoedo
killfile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014