Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #1306
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

HEY are you doing Sandblast? :Ear
Yes sir!

Didn't the Rooney bike only complete the safari once? At least you brought it to the finish, running!. That in its self is an accomplishment. Where's the ass kissing smiley??? Oh, here it is..... And, I will.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #1307
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

If Paul thinks I should have been faster, well, there's not necessarily a precedent for that, anywhere. Major rationalizations, bwhatthehell

I feel like thanks to Paul and the gang I have a rough idea of what it takes... I think I can do it again, if I just have enough spares :lol and if I built the bike, I'm pretty sure I would be able to fix almost anything on it.
Sandblast should be a walk in the park for you next time around and I bet you'll be a fair bit quicker too

So what are Paul's motivations for the Rally? I had assumed he is doing it for the sheer fun and of course drumming up business for his bikes/frames. Does he expect the bikes to be competitive with the new lighter, faster bikes?

Russ
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #1308
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by russbryant View Post
Sandblast should be a walk in the park for you next time around and I bet you'll be a fair bit quicker too

So what are Paul's motivations for the Rally? I had assumed he is doing it for the sheer fun and of course drumming up business for his bikes/frames. Does he expect the bikes to be competitive with the new lighter, faster bikes?

Russ
I suspect he does wish they were competitive, although his stated goals were to do the best we could and have fun. Which I did, anyway
Perhaps I'm reading too much into it- meaning maybe he's not as disappointed as I believe him to be. I think that he thinks they could be, in the right hands.

I know at heart he's a very competitive guy. As far as drumming up business, he seems far less inclined to talk at length about the details. But he does like to race, and wants to be involved. Thats the big one right there. He tells me that Craig Bounds (DAkar guy, came in 14th overall at Safari) actually asked if he (paul) wanted to sell the bike there and then, and the awards dinner. Paul was reluctant, but offered to build one up for him, in any case.

It would be interesting to see if I can get any faster at Sandblast... it would be my 7th start of that one. I seriously doubt I'll see serious improvement. Since the first big jump its been pretty mild advances, if any.

Granted, if I'd had more than one gear last year, and if the previous two years hadnt been so thickly laden with foot deep concrete... maybe if all goes well this year... haha! what are the chances :

At least I've finally got some real competition
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #1309
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,975
Many times Dakar entrant Simon Pavey (expat Aussie) was lined up to ride the bike last year but electrical? problems put a stop to that. It would have been interesting to see what the bike could do with a world class rider competing who knew about Aussie conditions, had the bike held together.

I think Paul is being unrealistic in his expectations. There have been top class European riders that have come to Australia over the years who have gone home with their tails well and truly between their legs. You came over here to ride an uncompetitive bike in conditions you had no prior experience with, brought the bike home alive and received a coveted award; Paul should be more than happy with that. That Craig Bounds wanted to buy the (slightly used) bike at the end of the rally shows that Pauls work has been `noted`.

Every rally has its `characters`, Ivan is one and I`m sure you were another, albeit in a different way. I bet, whenever you and the bike were around, people were looking at you.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 07:16 PM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #1310
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oorah!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
That's the way he is.

I got to chat with Jason over lunch the day after his return. He was still in LaLaland, suffering from severe jetlag, but I asked...
Were you and the bike expected to win? Yes....
You weren't on the podium, do you still feel like a winner? Yes!
Winning the Caldecott is surreal!!
Jason is truly honored...
Perhaps those who are more astute on the subject can school me, but here's my take on the Caldecott...

Iíd never heard of Andy Caldecott before this week. A legendary competitor whose life was cut short striving to be the best yet again. A keen sportsman and family man who earned every point of respect he was given, and then some. I would have been proud to have met him.
Those that knew him have created an award in his honor that is given each year to one competitor at the conclusion of the event. There is no mention of it on the website and the details of the award criteria are not written down in the rules.
The award is not for the machine, or the team or country that won the race. It is for an individual who leads by example. Itís not necessarily for the person standing on podium.
It can only be won by someone who demonstrates the best in sport, and in life. Someone whoís willing to help push you out of the rut, as he is to push his own dead machine across the finish. That sort of thing. The kind of mate youíd hope for in the proverbial foxhole...
Vince Lombardi claimed to be misquoted. It should read, ďWinning isnít everything. It the will to win, thatís the only thing.Ē
That spirit is what The Caldecott is for.
Itís not about start/finish times. Or the fastest stages. Or the biggest, baddest factory machinery with bankroll.
Itís for the guy that reminds us of who we are , and who we might want to be someday. Heís not pictured on the podium, but his shadow keeps the light levels down.
The Andy Caldecott Award is a recognition of excellence on all levels.
You donít have to be first, to be a winner in this category.
Congratulations to Jason Adams and Rooney Racing for a race well run.
You are legendary competitors at the top of your game. Respected by your peers for your achievement, and then some.
Bravo!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #1311
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
yep.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #1312
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I googled "australasian rally" and one of the images looked familiar, so I clicked it, and this is what I got...

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...9QEwCQ&dur=412

nice job Jason, what a great experience!
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #1313
russbryant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
Many times Dakar entrant Simon Pavey (expat Aussie) was lined up to ride the bike last year but electrical? problems put a stop to that. It would have been interesting to see what the bike could do with a world class rider competing who knew about Aussie conditions, had the bike held together.
Would love to see Simon run a section with the BMW and then with a rally prepped KTM and see how the times compared.

Russ
russbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #1314
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
I’d never heard of Andy Caldecott before this week.

AC `owned` the Safari for a few years and his reputation and showing in earlier Dakars` brought him to the attention of an Italian team who offered him a ride in the 2006 race to replace a rider who had been injured.

If anyone has a copy of the `Race To Dakar` DVD (Charlie Boormans` effort) there is a a very short interview with Andy while the circus is still in Europe.

Andy crashed not long after he refueled, in the same manner as Fabrizio Meoni died the year previously. All riders` wore neck braces as required equipment from the 2007 Dakar race onwards.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/ktm/fabrizio-meoni/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Caldecott

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 03:42 AM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 AM   #1315
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
. All riders` wore neck braces as required equipment from the 2007 Dakar race onwards.
Wonder how neduro "got away" without wearing one?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #1316
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Damn Dan, that's a really nice thing to say.

Got to hand it to you, sometimes your english major comes out handily

I have uploaded the Prologue... I showed you the last day, well, if that was the best for last, here is the worst of the first :lol

More interesting stuff coming up shortly, i promise.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #1317
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250
Talking That was great, thanks!

That was fun to watch! Thanks for posting, I didn't think you did bad at all, especially if that was your first time running it. How the hell did you not get lost more?!

Btw, what the hell kinda roll chart was that, I've never seen one that big and was it motorized or something?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #1318
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Here's a (hopefully) more interesting vid of what went on

THe ROadbook holder is a standard of the industry rally navigation roadbook thing. Yeah, its a motorized scroller, and I've got miles of scroll It advances and retreats via thumbswitch on the left hand side.

I was able to not get lost much by following the tracks of about 35 bikes, and if I was running behind, about 20 cars, also

Seriously, there often isnt any option, its pretty obvious, and when its ambiguous well, that part of the fun, lol
Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #1319
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
GREAT FOOTAGE......!

Love the part that you honk honk to get the "tourist"on the quad to move over !!!

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #1320
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

oy, i just watched it again and see a spot in the middle where i blew the editing, lol... I was just sick of looking at it and wanted it out hte door but that will forever bug me unless I redo the bloody thing