Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #46
Raven Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
SCFlyer it appears that you have a GSA with the RM2 can you confirm if the BMW tank Bag will still fit? The one that hooks under the vin plate. How do you like the RM2 on the GSA? I'm looking to buy a dampener soon and like this one a lot.
Raven Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #47
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Rider View Post
SCFlyer it appears that you have a GSA with the RM2 can you confirm if the BMW tank Bag will still fit? The one that hooks under the vin plate. How do you like the RM2 on the GSA? I'm looking to buy a dampener soon and like this one a lot.
RR,
Not sure where you got the idea but I don't have a RM steering dampner on my bike (09 GSA). A consideration later maybe but just asking quesitons here.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #48
Dave-AZ
aspirant

Oddometer: 2
Ralle-Moto RM2 installed on 2010 R1200GSA

Ralle-Moto has you install the handlebar mounts backwards. I filed about1/8 inch off the mounts to allow room for the steering damper and installed the mounts normal. The other learning I had was in removing and installing the bearing. I used a heat gun set on low to heat up the aluminum triple clamp and the bearing just falls out. The install seemed pretty easy. Just takes a little patience.
Attached Images

Dave-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #49
1920BSMK1SV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
RM2 R1200GS Bar Clamps

Hope this helps anyone with a R1200GS or GSA when fitting the Ralle-Moto RM2 units i just bought one for my 2012 GSA and spotted that owners had to file a part of the original clamps away so the clamps can be used in the std setting ie faced back,
I used HP2 Megamoto clamps and some stepped dowels , new hear so not 100% sure how to upload the picks on hear yet but if any one knows the Flickr photo web pages i have my own area of pics there B.M.W and Vintage machines and i posted all my Ralle~Moto RM2 modification pics there :) just go to Flickr and type in Ralle-Moto RM2 and you should find them ok or this link http://www.flickr.com/photos/9383961...n/photostream/

1920BSMK1SV screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 04:03 PM
1920BSMK1SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #50
rallen OP
"Lost with a Purpose"

Oddometer: 237
O.K. - It has been a long time since I have had the time to write a post.

I have ran the damper in a fair amount of sand washes, deep gravel, over rocks, ect...

The damper performs very well, and despite a few scares in the beginning and the fact that I ended up
having to put riser blocks on to turn my risers backwards (also installed longer dowel pins), I am happy
with the set up.

Not sure what happened to the risers from Ralle Moto, but I have moved on.

I ran the fat girl in a KTM Rally in Wickensburg Arizona (Crown King) and ended up having to run
part of the A/B route in the mud and snow (and some serious rocks) as well as the B route the next day
and can say the damper did well.

I did learn a rookie lesson with dampers though: I deflated the tires to 20 psi. Low front tire pressure
combined with cold weather (the damper gets stiffer in the cold) , even with the damper in the nuetral
position, made it way too difficult to steer. Next time I will run 28 psi in the front, and let the damper
do its job.

All in all, its a worthy investment as far as I'm concerned.

In prep for some big trips, I also installed a Flexx handlebar (and had very, very good service) but haven't put it through it's paces yet. Just the sweep change from the originals was enough to justify the cost, not to mention I believe the upward flex of the bars has to add some safety when dropping the bike.

I had planned on getting the new Race Tech G2 shocks for the bike, but they where to busy to call or email me back (multiple times), so I spent my money with Klaus with Hyperpro. Still waiting for the shocks to be built, but can't wait to slap them bad boys on........................

Later everybody
Old 05-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #51
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Keeping this thread alive...

I'm installing an RM2 to a 2005 1200GS so I thought I'd add some notes here that might be useful for "the next guy".

1) Installing the RM2 to a 2005 - 2007(?) GS requires you to remove the top triple clamp and drill two 6mm holes to it for mounting the damper unit.
This was no big deal. The triples come off easy, apply heat to the claps to remove the old steering bearing.
2) Using the damper mounting bracket as a template it's easy to drill perfectly located two holes on a drill press.
3) Again heat up the clamps and tap in the new bearing + bearing bolt.

Some folks have reported trouble getting the bearing bolt to hold without slipping. To prevent the bolt from turning in the "head stock" I
4) cleaned the headstock hole and the bolt + nut super clean and 100% free of any oil and grease, and
5) applied cylinder sleeve retainer (Permatex) on the bolt, on the flange of the nut and on the bottom shoulder of the inner race of the steering bearing.

That will provide additional grip for the bolt to hold onto when the damper is applying torque on the bolt.

Then turned the nut to 96ft/lb+ of torque. It's not going to slip...
Now the assembly is sitting there for 24hr letting the sleeve retainer to fully cure.

Another note. Many of the instructions say that for the 2005 - 2007 bikes you need >30mm bar risers to make the bars to clear the damper.

30mm is not enough.

I 've been using generic 30mm (measured) Tusk risers and the bars are not even close to fitting over the damper.
Realistically, you need 35mm or more of rise....

--
Mikko

FlyingFinn screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 05:35 PM
FlyingFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #52
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
A while back, I ordered two RM2 dampeners for the F650GS and F800GS sitting in the garage. When I went home on vacation, I installed the one on the F800GS. I was going to get to my wife's F650GS in the next day or two, but in the interim, we experienced a very cold morning up in Banff, Canada. I discovered, much to my chagrin, that slow speed maneuvering were terrible with the RM2 dampener, and opted not to put the one on my wife's bike until I can sort this when I return from Afghanistan for good.

Does anyone know of a good workaround, such as a bypass for slow speed maneuvering, then switch to dampening mode at speed?

Thanks in advance!
vMike
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #53
Quirky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitruvian Mike View Post
A while back, I ordered two RM2 dampeners for the F650GS and F800GS sitting in the garage. When I went home on vacation, I installed the one on the F800GS. I was going to get to my wife's F650GS in the next day or two, but in the interim, we experienced a very cold morning up in Banff, Canada. I discovered, much to my chagrin, that slow speed maneuvering were terrible with the RM2 dampener, and opted not to put the one on my wife's bike until I can sort this when I return from Afghanistan for good.

Does anyone know of a good workaround, such as a bypass for slow speed maneuvering, then switch to dampening mode at speed?

Thanks in advance!
vMike
Give it some time for you to get use to it. The benefits are bigger than the negatives.
I certainly didn't like my first few rides with damper installed, especially in suburbia on my r1200gs.
Riding in a straight line in town was hard work and i'd overcorrect finding it hard to ride on a consistsant line.
Is this the concern? If so i got used to it and think its great now. Maybe i use to control my bike with handlebars more
at slower speed stuff, now i relax the hands and make the slightest bike lean to adjust my ride line. I use RM2 settings at
midway and firmer everywhere except rocky creek crossings the only time i dial it right back.
Hope this helps!

Cheers
Old 06-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #54
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi,

Yeah, took a little getting used to, but put a few thousand miles on it before returning to Afghanistan, and still don't like the behavior at slow speeds in cold weather. Either I'll uninstall it for the cold weather portions of our RTW, or need a bypass valve that completely eliminates the dampener with the flick of a switch for cold weather (specifically cold weather slow speed maneuvering) riding. Stuff like riding in the city where you're poking along, but occasionally need to react to something unexpected.

I really liked the feel of the dampener on some of the dirt passes we rode at speed, cold or warm. Can't say enough about that.

I'm curious if this is a feature of all dampeners, or if there are some manufacturers that built in a workaround.

Appreciate the response!

Cheers,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Give it some time for you to get use to it. The benefits are bigger than the negatives.
I certainly didn't like my first few rides with damper installed, especially in suburbia on my r1200gs.
Riding in a straight line in town was hard work and i'd overcorrect finding it hard to ride on a consistsant line.
Is this the concern? If so i got used to it and think its great now. Maybe i use to control my bike with handlebars more
at slower speed stuff, now i relax the hands and make the slightest bike lean to adjust my ride line. I use RM2 settings at
midway and firmer everywhere except rocky creek crossings the only time i dial it right back.
Hope this helps!

Cheers

Vitruvian Mike screwed with this post 06-10-2012 at 07:13 AM
Old 06-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #55
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,700
My wife's RM1 does not get stiff in the cold weather, but my RM2 does exactly what you say in the cold. I have compensated by leaning the bike more and less turning...I have almost dropped mine in the winter months several times because of the stiffness.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #56
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi Blaster,

That's exactly it. It makes the bike fairly unpredictable with respect to handling at slow speeds in cold weather. I'll write to RM and see if they can engineer a fix for this. I love their products, and would hate to have to continue to remove/reinstall according to regional weather.

Thanks for responding.

vMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
My wife's RM1 does not get stiff in the cold weather, but my RM2 does exactly what you say in the cold. I have compensated by leaning the bike more and less turning...I have almost dropped mine in the winter months several times because of the stiffness.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #57
Eastview
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I am shopping for a steering dampner for my 08 1200GS and was vry interested in this thread...seems like it wasn't complete? Was there ever a solution to the cold low speed problem? Or maybe just more thread reading and I will find out what the best solution is???
2006 BMW K1200S (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098S Tricolore(sold)Replaced with 2002 Foggy Monster
Eastview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #58
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi all,

Wanted to get back to a few threads that I'm long overdue for on posting replies to one or another thing I had in the fire.

Regarding the issue with my RM2 being too sticky or stiff in cold weather, I wrote to Vaughan of Ralle Moto, and he was extremely understanding and helpful.

I've copied and pasted his response to my questions here to show what great customer service they offer.
Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay we have been offline for a few days so this is either a second reply or you are still waiting to hear from us??

The issue you are having we have seen once before with a guy that was riding in Alaska which we found out to be the tolerance on the internal vane was to good and then caused the main body to shrink at a quicker rate than the steel internal vane causing a slight amount of interference giving friction. We make the tolerance very close to achieve better pressure and less bypass in the unit, although since that unit we fixed from Alaska we have freed the tolerance up so this doesn’t happen in extreme cases. What we did was pull the unit apart and free up the tolerances and it has worked perfect ever since. Now the only real issue is that you are in the US but if you wanted to send it back to us we can do the mod and shoot it straight back to you. We will cover the return freight on the units and not charge to do the mod.

Just so you know the sluggish feeling you are getting is from friction inside the unit NOT due to needing to turn the unit off and if other dampers were to achieve the tolerances we do then you find the same issue. But like I said it is an easy fix except for the distance L

Let me know what you would like to do and we can get it sorted out asap for you!!

Cheers
Vaughan

In the end, I'm in Afghanistan, and won't be home now for another 12 months. Vaughan said to just send them an email and send the two units back, and they would take care of it with no problem!

Cheers all!
vm

Vitruvian Mike screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 08:46 AM Reason: Make it easier to read.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #59
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,700
That's nice that they got back with you! I may have to look into sending mine back for a little modification work. Thanks for the information!!
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #60
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,099
Looking for some help from you experts. Can someone please read my thread and answer the dowel question?...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951137
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote