User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #31
captkumu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
John,
I like the whole Idea "Less Is More" I just finished my Mexico ride and and I was over packed.. I am thinking every ride I
take I have learned how to shed off more weight....I like the 250 Idea as well.... You just do not need much.. The thing that is hard for a lot of people is to finding the time......looking forward to your Adventure...John
Back on the Ferry Riding Mexico 2012
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824619
captkumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #32
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Subscribed.

Again.

rtwpaul just passed through here on his way south and mentioned your earlier RR which we both had read. You are one if a few riders who have influenced me to leave the GSA in the garage and get a 250 for riding Mexico and CA.

Buena suerte,

JD
Hi Señor SchizzMan,

I've been following rtwpauls ride report. That man knows how to use a camera! I need to get on the road and catch up to that guy for some lessons.

I will be heading over to Austin from Big Bend camping in a month or so. I will be sure to look you up if you're around.

Suerte,
John Downs
Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #33
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkumu View Post
John,
I like the whole Idea "Less Is More" I just finished my Mexico ride and and I was over packed.. I am thinking every ride I
take I have learned how to shed off more weight....I like the 250 Idea as well.... You just do not need much.. The thing that is hard for a lot of people is to finding the time......looking forward to your Adventure...John
Hola John,

My advice is: Quit your job and sell the house in Newport Beach. That should buy you some time to ride.

Just kidding. I know what you mean. I was thinking I would head to South America last year and suddenly one thing led to another and it's a year later and I'm just now leaving.

Best,
John Downs
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #34
captkumu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hola John,

My advice is: Quit your job and sell the house in Newport Beach. That should buy you some time to ride.

Just kidding. I know what you mean. I was thinking I would head to South America last year and suddenly one thing led to another and it's a year later and I'm just now leaving.

Best,
John Downs
That idea has crossed my mind more than once.....What is you route crossing into Mexico? Just curious...John
Back on the Ferry Riding Mexico 2012
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824619
captkumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #35
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkumu View Post
That idea has crossed my mind more than once.....What is you route crossing into Mexico? Just curious...John
At the moment I plan on zig zagging down visiting ADVriders along the way who have offered a place to pitch my tent. So my route changes depending on who invites me. Currently heading down through the panhandle of Nebraska through Colorado and New Mexico then cutting over to Big Bend national park and over to visit folks in Texas and down towards the toe of Texas. There are some nice folks in town here who winter near Reynosa so that is probably where I'll cross the border. There's some great riding in the mountains south of Monterrey. Have to check that out. Then, who knows...

I'll be reporting back what I find so you'll have some good riding ideas. Mexico is huge. And that's just the first country I'll hit.

Best,
John Downs
Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #36
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I think what is calling to Crash is nota the road, but his little honey!

If I can keep track of your progress, I might meet you someplace in CA before you get to Panama, where I have a sofa. But do you have any qualms about camping in CA? So far, I just look for cheap hotels, problem is that often there is no hotel, or even a town, when I am ready to stop for the night.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #37
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Hi CC,

Your couch has my name on it!

Look forward to visiting Volcan/Boquete Panama highlands. Beautiful area you live in although the 10 day forecst calls for mucho lluvia. But hey, rain keeps things green and beautiful.

As far as camping in Central America, I'll let you know how it goes. I have been studying this map:

http://www.talesfromthesaddle.com/route.shtml

from Tales from the saddle ride report of Klous1 and zooming in see the kinds of spots he finds to camp. The map shows the GPS waypoints of everywhere he camps. But of course, I will be stopping in cheap guest houses and hostels to post ride reports,charge up batteries and take a shower as well. Should be interesting. I'll report back what I find along the way.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #38
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051

In. Again. Can't wait! Three years and my mortgage will be finished and I'll be right behind you.

So glad you are going to do this in real time. If you need anything just post up and we'll get right on it.

John
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #39
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
October is the heaviest rainfall of the year in Panama, lightens up a little in November, dry season usually arrives in December. But then the winds start!

P.S. The rental on the sofa is a couple of ADV stickers.
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #40
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 695
(Selected Quotes from multiple posts by JDowns)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

South America or bust. I tell people I'm heading out on a 250 dirt bike and they think I'm nuts. I don't care. It's what I've got and I'm riding the wheels off it while I still can. This ride report is for all those people who have dreamed of riding long and far but aren't sure if it's possible. I'm here to tell you, yes it is. I don't have a lot of money and I'm not too bright. If I can do it anyone can. You just have to set a date, save as much money as you can and GO!!!!!

So ride along and watch the adventure unfold and see if its possible to ride a little bike to South America and back with limited funds. Perhaps you will see that it is something you can do sooner than you thought possible.I only have 5000 bucks which is a lot for me but not much compared to more fortunate folks. I may have to eat ramen and do a lot of camping. But I am determined to make it there and back.

If I run short of funds I will figure out how to set up a paypal account and beg for money. But I'm not there yet. Plus I don't know how. Anyway, I write these ride reports for me as much as anyone. I enjoy reading them later and remembering all the wonderful people and great roads.

I do hope to visit other ADVriders on the tentspace list though. And have them sign my gastank. You guys are the only sponsors I need. Several people have already offered places to stay and I intend to meet as many ADVriders as possible on the road south. I know I enjoy it when folks stay at my place. It should be fun!

I have nothing against people who ride big bikes and live large. It's fun to read their ride reports. And yes I know their rear shock cost more than my bike. Nothing wrong with that. I just can't afford to do it. Anyway, I have been through Mexico and Central America many times and it pounds the crap out of your bike. I would hate to have a lot of expensive stuff to keep an eye on really. And living in rural Nebraska, I actually enjoy seeing how far I can go on a limited budget. Its not for everyone though. But if nothing else, I hope to inspire some of the younger folks out there to see that yes they can ride long and far for less than they might imagine.

#1- I'll make some contributes to your S.America trip and when I am down there in couple of years, you can make some contributes when you are reading my riding report at your home in few years from now? Setting Paypal is so easy.. just use the email addy you normally use to register for an account, then add your routing and checking acct info using your checkbook. Paypal will deposit few cents into your account for you to input and if your input is correct, your account is verified and set to go!

#2- I have to say this that you and I are alike in most way. We are cheapskate and can survive to go as far as we want to go. This last summer, I decided to do TAT at very last minute joining my friend and I had a $1,200 budget to get to Port Orford from my home in Seven Springs, NC. In Moab, I struggled to decide if I should go on with my trip with low fund and no tools (lost it in Colorado) but thanks to friends via Facebook, I got few hundred dollars in donation to continue so I finished the trip the overall one-way was $1,390 making final cost $2,600 when I got home. This TAT trip was my prelude to Key West-Deadhorse-Ushuaia trip and now I feel confidence in doing the big trip on a very tight and restricted budget.

So now I am going to keep a close watch on your Riding Report with a $5k budget to start with heading out with guts to do whatever it takes getting down there. Please do share your expenses of getting yourself and your bike over the Darien as this insight would give me some idea what to prepare. If you prefer, maybe PM me the total overall expenses if you are not comfortable sharing it on here.

And out of curious, what is the main goal in S. America? Tierra Del Fuego? Ushuaia?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #41
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
October is the heaviest rainfall of the year in Panama, lightens up a little in November, dry season usually arrives in December. But then the winds start!

P.S. The rental on the sofa is a couple of ADV stickers.
Deal! I know you've been wanting ADV stickers for a while now. I don't have any, but will look into getting you some. I'm thinking I could mail them to you if you PM me your mailing address. That way they'll get to you even if you're out riding when I pass through in a couple months and I won't have to worry about losing them on the way down.

Best,
John Downs
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #42
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post

In. Again. Can't wait! Three years and my mortgage will be finished and I'll be right behind you.

So glad you are going to do this in real time. If you need anything just post up and we'll get right on it.

John
Hey John, nice to hear from you. Glad to have you along for the ride. 2015 will be here before you know it. My house is paid off and I owe nothing to anybody and it is a freeing feeling. Look forward to see you riding long and far on that XR of yours. Perfect bike for Latin America!

Cheers,
John Downs
Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #43
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,548
Ready for the ride along

Not that it matters after the job is done but surely that Sherpa has got shim over buckets like its big brother KLR They should be something like 23mm diameter where the shim under bucket is around 6-9mm like my little bmw sixfidy uses. I got a KLR or two in the shed

Have a good ride John I'd take a 250 down South.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #44
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
(Selected Quotes from multiple posts by JDowns)

#1- I'll make some contributes to your S.America trip and when I am down there in couple of years, you can make some contributes when you are reading my riding report at your home in few years from now? Setting Paypal is so easy.. just use the email addy you normally use to register for an account, then add your routing and checking acct info using your checkbook. Paypal will deposit few cents into your account for you to input and if your input is correct, your account is verified and set to go!

#2- I have to say this that you and I are alike in most way. We are cheapskate and can survive to go as far as we want to go. This last summer, I decided to do TAT at very last minute joining my friend and I had a $1,200 budget to get to Port Orford from my home in Seven Springs, NC. In Moab, I struggled to decide if I should go on with my trip with low fund and no tools (lost it in Colorado) but thanks to friends via Facebook, I got few hundred dollars in donation to continue so I finished the trip the overall one-way was $1,390 making final cost $2,600 when I got home. This TAT trip was my prelude to Key West-Deadhorse-Ushuaia trip and now I feel confidence in doing the big trip on a very tight and restricted budget.

So now I am going to keep a close watch on your Riding Report with a $5k budget to start with heading out with guts to do whatever it takes getting down there. Please do share your expenses of getting yourself and your bike over the Darien as this insight would give me some idea what to prepare. If you prefer, maybe PM me the total overall expenses if you are not comfortable sharing it on here.

And out of curious, what is the main goal in S. America? Tierra Del Fuego? Ushuaia?
Hi WAWC,

Wow! Thanks for the info and encouragement! I will gladly donate on your future ride report. And will get right on setting up a paypal account. I didn't realize it was so easy. I think it would be a good thing to have even if only so my friends and family can easily get money to me if the bike blows up or my wallet gets stolen or somesuch.

I have no problem reporting back how much it costs. You don't hear much about how much it takes to get down to South America and back other than a lot or as much as you have.

Mind you I am traveling on a shoestring budget which is not for everyone. But I know there are a lot of folks that can travel frugally and would appreciate hearing back how much to expect to spend.

As far as goals that's a tough question. Last trip I was heading to Guatemala to the dentist since I hadn't been in 20 years and figured I needed root canals or something. I ended up riding to Panama and back after finding out it would only cost me 400 bucks to have my teeth fixed. I started out with 3000 and ended up with 700 when I got back to Arizona. So minus dental work it cost 1900 to get to Panama and back. But I didn't do much camping. Mostly stayed in Cheap Hotels. This trip, sure it would be nice to make it down to Patagonia or Ushuaia and see some penguins, but realistically I don't think I have the funds. I am getting older and have always wanted to make it to South America. And I'm gonna get there this time whicheverAnywayIcan gosh durnit'.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #45
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Ready for the ride along

Not that it matters after the job is done but surely that Sherpa has got shim over buckets like its big brother KLR They should be something like 23mm diameter where the shim under bucket is around 6-9mm like my little bmw sixfidy uses. I got a KLR or two in the shed

Have a good ride John I'd take a 250 down South.
Hi Señor Throttlemeister,

Glad to have you along for the ride!

The Sherpa has 7.48mm baby shims under bucket just like your mule. I used the KLR video for disassembly procedure since I don't have a service manual and some Sherpa specific photos over on KLR.net to figger the shim under bucket part all out. It wasn't too hard. Luckily they have a chart over at:

http://www.maultechatv.com/techguide...ator/index.php

for doing the math for figuring out what mm thickness shims you need from how many thou tight you are so you don't order the wrong shim size. Math was never my strong suit.

You write a damn fine ride report. Have enjoyed reading about your travels immensly. I'll go over and hug your bike and reassure it Papa's coming down soon if I make it over to Venezuela and it's still down there.

Best,
John Downs