Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #16
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
You aren't going to bend a 50xx series sheet into a radius equal to the thickness at room temperature. You'll have to do it hot, but you should probably rethink your design to avoid the tight bend.
That is a very straight answer indeed
So, what series should be used in order to minimise that problem? Something a lot softer like 30xx ?
The parts had a laser marked line to help the bender align the parts. Very thin, 0.1mm. When this line was on the inside, only wrinkles appear on the outside. Not too severe but they are there. When the line is on the outer edge, the material cracks exactly there. So, one option would be to make this line always on the inner radius a little bit thicker, may be 0.5mm, 0.6mm ? As the above inmate suggested. But then I question myself. You started with a 4 mm part and at the bend you have 3mm. Is that right?
Changing the design is the last option as the only thing I could do is either weld it (too expensive at the end) or change the angles (90 deg = two 45 deg) to avoid that result. It can be done but I want to use it as the last option if I dont have any other solutions.
What amazes me here is not the material. This cracking effect is all over the internet. The amazing part is that at the moment two suppliers who think that they are top of the tops in bending and they have something like 20 bending machines, lasers, waterjets etc, they say that this is how it works and they ask me, their customer, what I want to be done in order to avoid this effect ...

The only option I see is bending them with higher radius and changing the design accordingly in order to accomodate the hIgher radius in the unfolded pattern... Thoughts ?

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 08:51 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #17
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
That is a very straight answer indeed
So, what series should be used in order to minimise that problem? Something a lot softer like 30xx ?
The parts had a laser marked line to help the bender align the parts. Very thin, 0.1mm. When this line was on the inside, only wrinkles appear on the outside. Not too severe but they are there. When the line is on the outer edge, the material cracks exactly there. So, one option would be to make this line always on the inner radius a little bit thicker, may be 0.5mm, 0.6mm ? As the above inmate suggested. But then I question myself. You started with a 4 mm part and at the bend you have 3mm. Is that right?
Changing the design is the last option as the only thing I could do is either weld it (too expensive at the end) or change the angles (90 deg = two 45 deg) to avoid that result. It can be done but I want to use it as the last option if I dont have any other solutions.
What amazes me here is not the material. This cracking effect is all over the internet. The amazing part is that at the moment two suppliers who think that they are top of the tops in bending and they have something like 20 bending machines, lasers, waterjets etc, they say that this is how it works and they ask me, their customer, what I want to be done in order to avoid this effect ...

The only option I see is bending them with higher radius and changing the design accordingly in order to accomodate the hIgher radius in the unfolded pattern... Thoughts ?

Can you post a pic of what you're trying to make?

When you bend a piece of metal, you stretch the side that is on the outside of the bend and you compress the side on the inside of the bend. Do it too severely, it shears.

On another note, I made a new bracket to mount my GPS on my G650X tonight using my mini mill and a tubing cutter. Here are some pics from finish to start:

tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,083
Looking into 50xx series aluminums, they aren't heat treatable, but are strain hardened by cold working. What is the temper designation? You want to have the designation of 50xx-0 for annealed material.

A quick search with Google gives some minimum bend radius information.

Looks like a 4mm sheet of 5052 has the recommended minum bend radii for the following tempers:

0 - 1t
H32 - 1.5t
H34 - 2.5t
H36 - 4t
H38 - 5t
t is thickness
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarstow View Post
Can you post a pic of what you're trying to make?

When you bend a piece of metal, you stretch the side that is on the outside of the bend and you compress the side on the inside of the bend. Do it too severely, it shears.

On another note, I made a new bracket to mount my GPS on my G650X tonight using my mini mill and a tubing cutter. Here are some pics from finish to start:
Wow! Look at little Timmy making big boy toys with his oversized Dremel!

Very nice.............
Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Probably late to the party here. But I am back in my own shop again. I did post up in the garage "jobshop" but thought I would mention here. I have CNC bed mill,manual knee mill,2 lathes, multiple welding machines, and now appears that I will be buying out the water jet business that I share a building with.So cutting anything that sits on a 6' X 12' table is possible.
Located in Pagosa Springs, co.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote