Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #121
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
WOW!! This is one of the best RR's of all time, simply loving this. Fantastic photos. Please continue and ride safe.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #122
mr_bitey
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Exactly. Unless it's nekid Buuuuurt changing oil
mr_bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #123
sambor1965
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
True adventure...

Great RR. Awesome story and ride in pure adventure style. I love it!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #124
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Little break in the Mongolian ride report. Had to get Minxter re-acquainted with her bike.

More Mongolia tomorrow.
Joe Motocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #125
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 14
GET TO THE GOBI!! We had visions of riding double humped camels in vast sand dunes. It was still raining and the wind was still blowing strong from the north. After two days of nothing too notable, things were about to get intense, although we didn't know it yet.

Buuuuurrrt and Minxter put on their rubber gloves. I purposely didn't bring any because I had no intentions of doing any serious rain riding. We didn't want to hang out in the manky ger all day and we were really pumped up on getting into the desert. So, I improvise with a couple of plastic bags and we start riding. We don't even get out of town and Minxter goes down in a mud hole. I announce that I think it's too greasy and unwise to leave town in these conditions. My partners are amped up to go and it doesn't take much to convince me to go along even though I know better. We take off in the rain.

We are actually making good time considering the rain and the mud holes we are having to dodge. Then we see the first herd of double humped camels!! We figure we are officially in the Gobi now! We are excited and press on.

We stop for a quick break. The rain continues along with a very stiff tail wind. It was not the easiest riding but not the hardest. We were still moving along pretty good at this point.

Then things start to go bad. The ground is more and more saturated with mud holes all over. Our front tires are getting locked up with mud stuck in the fender.

It's officially a greasy mess at this point and the rain and wind continue.

Here's Minxter trying to get the mud out of her front tire/fender so it will roll again.

The one thing that we learned was that you only sank so far when riding through the water puddles unlike some mud holes I've experienced in the deserts in the western U.S. which can swallow whole bikes. So we ended up riding through the water rather than trying to avoid it. This kept the front tire from getting clogged.

Up on some high ground we came across a couple of trucks that were waiting out the bad weather. They would just wait until it stopped raining and dried up enough to continue. This is a smarter approach than ours.

We were shooting for the town of Bogd where we figured we could find a ger to rent again and get out of the weather. We were still quite a distance from Bogd at this point but we kept battling the mud, rain, and wind. At least the wind was at our back. We were completely soaked at this juncture.

And there it is. The stopper. This is a wash that's running that's too deep and swift for us to cross. For those not familiar with these, washes are dry stream beds that only run like a river during storms, otherwise they're dry. We are very familiar with how washes can halt your progress because we ride so much desert terrain in the States. Our eagerness got the better of us.

When we came up to it, I walked across to check it to see if it was at all possible. It was almost too difficult to even walk across and I even fell down but was able to regain. We were only 14km from Bogd here but could not cross the wash. It was very late in the day. The strong north wind would be a head wind if we tried to retreat at all which was not an option considering the mud holes were only getting worse. We had to face the music and hunker down and try to keep the dry gear that we still had on the bikes dry so we wouldn't get cold. OH BOY!!! Keep it together!!

89km of mud running for the day.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #126
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
That's some nice lookin' mud! Almost looks like the AZ strip after rain.

Great ride report. Thanks!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #127
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 15
We were officially PINCHED!! It was still raining the next morning and it was cold. We still wouldn't be able to make it across the wash that was blocking us and it wouldn't have been wise to try to back track through the 89km of mud. Plus, we couldn't risk getting our dry gear wet if we decided to break down camp and make a move. So we hunkered down. We were dry and warm for the time being.

It becomes a game of patience when you're in a situation like this. Your mind starts coming up with ways to get moving but you know you should just stay put until it clears. So we continue to chill into mid day.

It's still raining. We are having to ration our food and water a bit as we don't have an unlimited supply. We can stay put for another day no problem and we start getting our mind set for that.

We all move over to Buuuuuurrrrts quarters for a couple rounds of "Pigs", a game where you throw two small plastic pigs like dice to score. It's mid afternoon now and we think the rain is letting up.

Sure enough, we get out of the tents and the clouds lifted just enough to reveal the aftermath of a fairly significant Siberian low pressure system. Yup, snow down to the lower elevations.

The storm breaks enough for us to start drying our gear. The north wind is still blowing but has slowed significantly.

It breaks some more and we can see the full effect of the storm. The peaks are over 10,000 feet. We continue to do damage control by getting all of our gear dry and stowed away in case it decides to rain more. We're feeling pretty good about attempting a move the next morning.

A while later we conclude that the storm has moved through and it's going to continue to clear. Buuuurrrt and I decide we need to go do a little 'recon' mission and check out the wash we couldn't cross the day before. The ground is already starting to dry by this time.

We were able to cross the wash and ride the 14km to the town of Bogd where we stocked up on food, water, BEER and VODKA!! Things were really coming back around for us.

There were other folks who got pinched by the storm like this group in a mini van stuck in a mud hole. We tried to help push them but it was futile. At the wash, which we had to cross again to get back to camp, there was a truck stuck. Two guys tried to cross it after us and didn't make it. Looks like they'll be hunkering down until it dries some more also.

Back at camp, it was cold but we were comfortable and happy. We'd found some olives that we randomly picked up somewhere and were mixing martini's. This consists of popping an olive in your mouth and taking a shot of vodka.

All of a sudden, we notice this guy walking up to our camp. It was like he came out of nowhere!!

He offered us a smoke and we offered him a shot of vodka. He took the bottle and put the "Mongolian choke hold" on it and killed the last 1/4 of the bottle in one pull!!! Of course, no english.

We were milling around and just like he appeared, we notice that he's already walking off. Crazy.

At this point we have a nice buzz and we're totally enjoying our camp. The features all around us are stunning!!! We had no idea when we rolled in during the storm the day before.

Time for Gobi Goulash.

Unbelievable!!! Perfect sunset.

This wasn't exactly what we had in mind for a rest and recuperate day but we ended up really liking this day a lot.

28km for the day, to Bogd and back to camp.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #128
kahlgryndiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Perfect ride report!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #129
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,755
I get the impression that people out on the steppe just come up to your camp for a bit of human interaction and don't stay very long. That seem to be right?

Now you've got me wanting to to go Mongolia...

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #130
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's what it seemed like to us Katoom. Hard to say since nothing was really spoken most of the time. Our impression was they were nice people and were curious.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #131
mabuz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Wow, amazing adventure you guys had. I don't post much, just read for the most part here, but had to comment...amazing!

I spent a few months time in Mongolia over two summers for work a few years back, and this brings back some memories, although I was there for work, nothing like the adventure you guys had, living in a ger for weeks on end in the mountains was still an adventure in itself.

Great RR too, inspiring to those of us that don't get out to ride in places like that.
mabuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #132
ata
expat in the jungle

Oddometer: 2,221
awesome pics

riding in mud is hard.............. but this ...........is....................adapt and survive

Need some help<<<<<<>>>>>>> wet wanderings
ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #133
Joe Motocross OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I feel lucky to be able to travel to remote regions of the world occasionally to ride motorcycles. The key to this is enough money AND enough time. These two things are hard to have at the same time I find. I feel my limited time on this earth is worth more than money to me. This means I don't make extraordinary amounts, but it allows me some freedom. The trade off is always going on a small budget. However, I find that the small budget route often makes for some of the best experiences.

Why do we do things like try to ride around Mongolia or ride up the steepest hill or try and cross a river on a motorcycle? Because there's the chance we won't make it and that's what the adventurer thrives on.

Things got a little tight there in the Gobi because not only were we wet but it was COLD. This throws in a more serious factor to the whole thing. I admit that I was a bit nervous when we had to face the music and hunker down but this type of situation challenges you to do your absolute best to make it through ok, and I do like the challenge. This little escapade only lasted about 36 hours, hardly enough to call it an "epic" but it was challenging.

After being in a few tight situations over the years and making it through with a little work, I find myself double checking that I'm not taking it too far. It's easy to get cocky after you pull off a couple stunts because you get practice. You get better at crossing deeper rivers, you get better at knowing exactly what gear you'll need and how to keep it dry better, you get practiced at changing a tire in the dark on a dirty and busy 3rd world country road, you get better at reading people in those dark streets. You really have to have some foresight and truly understand what you're willing to deal with before making a decision you may regret. If you think it through, a lot of times an unpleasant situation can be quite tolerable and I find that I often don't regret the decision making that got me there in the first place.

We didn't regret leaving the dry shelter of the ger to get caught in the rain, cold and mud at all. This stuff isn't for everyone, but for those it is for, I look forward to riding with you.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #134
HairBear
I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Motocross View Post
We're definitely doing things a bit different from our normal style. You see, we have a female on the journey with us. This is by no means a bad thing and in many ways a good thing. She will keep me and Buuurt in check so we don't do anything too stupid. *But we're not quite as minimal as we normally would be. *For instance, we're taking a tent. This is unacceptable when it's the boys only.

Boy, I'll bet you were glad to have the female or you would not have had the tent to hunker down in.
Eager for the next installment. Great RR!!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #135
kfcz400
dirt track maniac

Oddometer: 237
great report..how does the shneray compare to the ktm?
kfcz400 is offline   Reply With Quote