Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #16
00_Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I gave 2k for mine, all original from the original owner. wasn't running but only needed a battery, tires, and a front master rebuild. It had 19k on it, all the manuals, spare parts, tools. I couldn't be happier with it.
00_Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
iriebelle OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
so i tried the smug mug thing. the account is iriebelle see if it works. when i posted the admin was waiing for approval. I was looking at the triple treee today and noticed that it is bent, so add another part to the list. does anybody know how to pull the caliper on this bike? there is one bolt below the caliper but it is really tight. am i missing something?
iriebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #18
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,892
A triple tree that is noticeably bent is pretty bad. If you can see the bend it may not be rideable. The entire forks will have to be straightened and tubes checked for parallelness. The triple tree doesn't get bent all by itself with out other damage being done.

Ate caliper removal. Take bracket holding hard brake line off. Remove plug on bottom of fork leg with spring inside that holds eccentric bolt in place. The large eccentric bolt up inside the caliper mounting pad is not threaded in it is held in place by the stiff short spring. It is threaded so you can screw one of the fender brace bolts that was attaching the brake line bracket to the fork into the center and pull the eccentric out.

On reassembly the whole thing is cleaned and greased. The eccentric has to be preset for proper contact area of the brake pads and efficient braking.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #19
Horsehockey
A GPS? Huh?

Oddometer: 313
So did you buy the bike or are you just starting to disassemble the one you don't own yet? In any case, the big hex cap nut at the bottom of the slider can be awfully tight. I forget if the big hex wrench that comes with the bike's tool kit is big enough to use with a crisp rap with your BFH. If not, do you have a box end wrench to fit? To remove the caliper, you'll need to remove that cap nut. Once you have that cap off, there's an eccentric pin inside holding the caliper on. To remove that pin: see the allen bolt acting as a pinch bolt for your front axle? Remove the allen/pinch bolt from the axle. You can now use that allen bolt to insert it into the threads of the eccentric pin to work that pin out. Caliper can be now be removed. Clean that eccentric pin and apply "brake grease" (NAPA) before replacing that pin. You'll be using that pin to adjust the alignment of your pads to the brake rotor. There's a Clymer and a Haynes manual for these bikes. If you buy the bike, find one of these manuals.
Horsehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #20
iriebelle OP
Adventurer

As much as i want to just take her down to the frame and have a winter project, i have only been poking and observing because yes the bike is not mine. I dont think the owner realizes what five years and what looks like front end damage does to a 34 year old machine. Thank you so much for letting me in on the brake calipers, I couldn't find this type anywhere that I was looking. The adjustment on the calipers is apparently off because he replaced the disc and looking at them only half of the disc is showing any wear. Looking at this long list of what it will take to be just operational would normally have me running in the other direction but for some reason I cant help myself its too purty to let go. Thanks again for reading this thread and helping me out. hopefully that smugmug thingy works out.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

You should get a Clymers or a Haynes manual. All these subjects are covered in those manuals. Then we can explain to you what the manuals are saying because they aren't really the key either. It takes both to do a proper job most of the time. A manual and some on line help.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 05-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #22
iriebelle OP
Adventurer

hey Y.F.F.. So a baby and a new career later I still haven't bought this bike. The guy says he wants $2000 for the bike. ya sure. guess what else the damn frame is bent. im thinking 500-1000. if your all still out there how does this sound? I think I would have a franken bike for sure.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #23
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

The numbers on the frame are the bike. The title is on the frame.

$2000 for a bike with bent frame and bent fork seems like too much. Sometimes though what is happening is the guy getting the money is more important than the guy paying the money. If this is a charity deal I guess you could do it.

You would have to find a good frame with a title or have the bent frame straightened. This can sometimes be done by somebody with the proper tool and experience for the job. Fixing a bent frame is not a DIY job and it can not be done by many of the professional mechanics around either. Or maybe I should say they don't want the job. The deal is I think that a well intentioned attempt may be made but it doesn't always work right. So you are not happy and the mechanic doesn't feel good about it either. The problem becomes finding somebody who has done this and is willing to do it again.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Since we still haven't gotten into picture mode, tell us where, how much the frame is bent. You are not talking about an alignment of the front to the rear wheel, are you?

Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
GCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
74 Ducati 750 Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriebelle View Post
So here's the whole story. The guy who owns the bike has a hand full of different bikes that he doesn't/cant ride (one of them being a 1974 ducati 750 which is just heartbreaking to see it sit) and he has asked me to borrow it for a couple years and just keep it ridden.
Any chance he's interested in selling the Ducati? Good luck with whatever you decide to do with this.

GCCR
GCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 672
Just curious as to how the frame was determined to be bent? The upper tripple clamp is just a metal plate and can be bent with just a hard fall if the handle bar hits a curb.

Frame straightening is quite possible, it will take some detective work on your part as well as a lot of stripping and re-building.

If the frame is bent, it's not worth 2K. If the numbers match and it has a title, $1,200 to $1,500 would be more in line if it's complete and the body work is in decent shape.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:17 AM   #27
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
[QUOTE=iriebelle;19750953]So here's the whole story. The guy who owns the bike has a hand full of different bikes that he doesn't/cant ride (one of them being a 1974 ducati 750 which is just heartbreaking to see it sit) and he has asked me to borrow it for a couple years and just keep it ridden. . . ./QUOTE]

What is it with this hoarding disease here in America? Is there really any value in just owning something just for the sake of ownership?

If you want to acquire and ride a Ducati, then acquire and ride a Ducati. If you don't or can't ride it anymore, why not move it on to someone who can make it useful?

This thing about just acquiring mountains of stuff just to own it is really weird and wasteful.
"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #28
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Frame is Bent?

It's for parts only.
"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote