User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Bluethumb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Current Market Value of Airheads-fair?

In the last year or two I've noticed prices of airheads seemingly go through the roof, and I don't get it.

Recent examples, R100GSPD's in average condition, fair milage, and no extras, for $7,500 advertised. R80G/S, stock w/o bags, average condition, $8,500. ( no bags, stock tank, not PD tank ) I totally get that R80G/S's are currently hot, rare and all that. Another R80 G/S, w/o matching numbers, plain Jane, $8,000. All these examples stock suspension, shocks, etc.

Basic airheads, R100's, have asking prices north of $5,000. A 78 R100s - $7,500. Even R75's are listed $4,000 plus.

Seems like the floor price for an average airhead is $4000.

I'm bringing this up because it seems that only a few years ago the range for airheads was much lower. A decent R90 or R100, with a little searching, could be had for $2,500-$3,500.

In all fairness airheads are not rare. It's fairly easy to find just about any model for sale on any given day. There's lots of airheads out there compared to say Norton's or classic Ducati's. The people who collect them make up a fairly small fraternity.

Don't get me wrong, I love BMW airheads, simple to work on and a sense of soul. But also, weak, rubbery frames, poor brakes, weak and somewhat unreliable charging systems, and poor suspension.

When I see an average R100GS go for more then a good used R1150GS I just don't get it.

So am I totally wrong here. Are the current prices fair and in keeping with the market? How is it that airheads have gone up so much in price given the horrible economy? What am I missing?
Bluethumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluethumb View Post
In the last year or two I've noticed prices of airheads seemingly go through the roof, and I don't get it.

Recent examples, R100GSPD's in average condition, fair milage, and no extras, for $7,500 advertised. R80G/S, stock w/o bags, average condition, $8,500. ( no bags, stock tank, not PD tank ) I totally get that R80G/S's are currently hot, rare and all that. Another R80 G/S, w/o matching numbers, plain Jane, $8,000. All these examples stock suspension, shocks, etc.

Basic airheads, R100's, have asking prices north of $5,000. A 78 R100s - $7,500. Even R75's are listed $4,000 plus.

Seems like the floor price for an average airhead is $4000.

I'm bringing this up because it seems that only a few years ago the range for airheads was much lower. A decent R90 or R100, with a little searching, could be had for $2,500-$3,500.

In all fairness airheads are not rare. It's fairly easy to find just about any model for sale on any given day. There's lots of airheads out there compared to say Norton's or classic Ducati's. The people who collect them make up a fairly small fraternity.

Don't get me wrong, I love BMW airheads, simple to work on and a sense of soul. But also, weak, rubbery frames, poor brakes, weak and somewhat unreliable charging systems, and poor suspension.

When I see an average R100GS go for more then a good used R1150GS I just don't get it.

So am I totally wrong here. Are the current prices fair and in keeping with the market? How is it that airheads have gone up so much in price given the horrible economy? What am I missing?

Its the cool factor daddyo, all about the cool factor
1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,943
your pricing is waaaay off...

to get an accurate snapshot for pricing on almost anything.

type into google: 92 R100GS site:craigslist.org

this does a national search limited to Craigslist for XXX

a super clean R100GS (80k miles) with all sorts of upgrades like Omega alternator, bmw saddlebags, just sold for $3300.

that was a bit low, they usually go for $5k range... more plentiful airheads go for $2,500-3,500 range. add 30%+ for ultra low miles/mint condition

this is not to say an airhead cannot sell for say $4,500+. all it takes is one buyer. but if one does a national search and pages of similar airheads pop up for $2,500-$3,500. then results would be closer to fair market value.

_cy_ screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 05:55 PM
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
atlthrux
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
.... How is it that airheads have gone up so much in price given the horrible economy? What am I missing?
Little known phenomenon -- Whatever toy *I* happen to be searching for becomes more rare and more expensive. Hopefully, I'll be bringing home a new (to me) bike this weekend...and airhead prices can fall back into the normal/logical range.
atlthrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,658
I think the prices you mention for the R100GS and R80G/S are too high, those prices would be for very nice examples, exceptional condition. Sounds more like a hopeful asking price, not many of either will get that kind of price.

Are the above airheads going more than an R1100GS or R1150GS, I suspect yes. I wouldn't want one of those over weight pigs plus all the electronic stuff and FD issues, yeah the GS has the same FD issues.

airheads are by design easier to maintain/ cheaper, but require more tinkering, but if an oilhead requires work it's gonna bruise the ole pocket book big time, plus more of a PITA to work on.

I'd guess prices for a decent/ average R100GS to range from $3,800-$5,700 maybe a little more. Of course a low mile cherry for around $7,500, a G/S about the same.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,573
I thought the market was bleak in St Louis. I just moved to Oklahoma City and airheads are nearly unheard of.

I remember mymindsok talking about finding airheads for $100 all day long in California. Man...

I'm just glad I have 5 old BMW's thus far. I may need to acquire a couple more for my retirement package..

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
your pricing is waaaay off...

to get an accurate snapshot for pricing on almost anything.

type into google: 92 R100GS site:craigslist.org
this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluethumb

Economically speaking -- unless there's an Airhead illuminati artificially controlling the price of Craigslist, eBay auctions, etc. -- yes, you're wrong. The prices of Airheads is fair because the free market is fair. Airheads are selling for exactly what people are willing to pay. Sounds like your underlying question is why are people willing to pay so much than you believe they're worth?
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Bluethumb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I've not done a google search as suggeseted. I have looked Craiglist locally, Dallas, Austin, Houston, and prices are pretty much as I described. Looking at ads on IBMWR.org marketplace also shows prices like I described.

I do hear your point, which is reasonably priced airheads are still to be had. It's just not what I'm seeing. There's a nice '82 R100S in the Autin Craiglist for $3,750, which seems pretty reasonable. Yet, if the splines are worn, rubber bad, needs the top end refreshed, you could be looking at two grand easily. The same Craiglist has a R100R for $6,000 and a 81 R80g/s for $8,000.

I know all that can be said about any item is worth what the market will pay. And just because a bike is advertised for "x" amount of money that doesn't mean that s what it will sell for.

But with that said, every market has its price range, be it Mopar cars, Rolex watches, or antique Chinese vases.

Still seems to me the airhead market has jumped out of proportion in the last few years. Example, four years ago I sold my 84 R80G/S for $5,800. PD tank, stock tank, Corbin dual seat, NOS solo seat and rack, 1,000 cc upper end plus stock cylinders, Works shock, oil cooler, Jesse bags, extra set of very nice wheels, etc., etc. and although I got my asking price, it took me awhile. Now I see a bone stock R80G/S, plain Jane, for $8,500. That's a big jump in 4 years, during a severe recession. Other G/S's listed for similar prices.

We, on this forum, make up the market in a sense. So I'm curious, from all of you out there, what is the market value for airheads?
Bluethumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,943
Quote:
I've not done a google search as suggeseted. I have looked Craiglist locally, Dallas, Austin, Houston, and prices are pretty much as I described. Looking at ads on IBMWR.org marketplace also shows prices like I described.

I do hear your point, which is reasonably priced airheads are still to be had. It's just not what I'm seeing. There's a nice '82 R100S in the Autin Craiglist for $3,750, which seems pretty reasonable. Yet, if the splines are worn, rubber bad, needs the top end refreshed, you could be looking at two grand easily. The same Craiglist has a R100R for $6,000 and a 81 R80g/s for $8,000.

I know all that can be said about any item is worth what the market will pay. And just because a bike is advertised for "x" amount of money that doesn't mean that s what it will sell for.

But with that said, every market has its price range, be it Mopar cars, Rolex watches, or antique Chinese vases.

Still seems to me the airhead market has jumped out of proportion in the last few years. Example, four years ago I sold my 84 R80G/S for $5,800. PD tank, stock tank, Corbin dual seat, NOS solo seat and rack, 1,000 cc upper end plus stock cylinders, Works shock, oil cooler, Jesse bags, extra set of very nice wheels, etc., etc. and although I got my asking price, it took me awhile. Now I see a bone stock R80G/S, plain Jane, for $8,500. That's a big jump in 4 years, during a severe recession. Other G/S's listed for similar prices.

We, on this forum, make up the market in a sense. So I'm curious, from all of you out there, what is the market value for airheads?
you need to do a national search to obtain a more accurate snap shot. airheads go from super rare to common depending on where.

don't use R80G/S as gauge as it's one of the three most desirable of all airheads. along with R90S and R69S.

prices for above three leaves all other modern airheads behind. now days a plain ole R80G/S goes for $6k-$8k. frame-off restored G/S routinely bring $10k+. not unusual for low mileage R90S and R69S bring 10k+.

have seen folks asking $8,500 for a high miles G/S and getting it. trashed out G/S are known to get sold on Flea for $5,500+.

anyways... prices for above three are completely different from all other modern airheads. 77 R100RS with 70hp but still only bring $3500-4500. same for R100S...
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 770
Since I bought my first airhead around 1990, I've thought that generally speaking, they are under appreciated, and consequently under valued bikes.
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
i paid 900 bucks for my first airhead, a 78 r100s. it ran, but needed 400 dollars in brake hydraulics, and 650 dollars in back reg. fees, so by the time i got it operable and fresh rubber on it, i was in it about 2500. sold for 3k

then i got a GS last Dec, salvage title for 3700, and it promptly needed 2400 in major repairs. parted it out after the 3rd mega repair was needed

picked up an r80 mono for 3600 in good shape with 75k on it,

they're worth whatever someone will pay.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
Boxer Metal
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,440
On the 70's models your competing with the hipsters. I still see Airheads in the $2500.00 to $3500.00 range that aren't basket cases.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
Boxer Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
On the 70's models your competing with the hipsters.
damn hipsters!

most of them dont know shit about nothin. its still not as bad as the youngest crop of "chopper kids" 16 yr old kids on panhead choppers and stuff down here.
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,103
There's cost and there's value.

I've got three airheads in the garage. An R80ST and R80 and a R100GS
There's no way I could afford to go out and buy the same bikes today.

It's crazy. What's really wild is to go look at how much a BMW car from the same year has lost in it's value
Like say an 92 BMW 850I a car that new sold for nearly 80K today you can find them for under 5K with really good ones going for around 12K

IIRC the new price for a 1992 R100GS was just under 8K, today that same bike sells for between 4K and 5K
With some serious mileage on them. That's not bad depreciation at all. But when you stack it up against the car it's amazing.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #15
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
I look at the pricing you have to pay in the USA and drool. Here on the Wet coast of Canada, we see prices much higher. I have purchased many airheads in Washington, Oregon, California and Idaho for less than 1/2 what they sell for here in Canada. Even after including my gas and lodging to go get them and doing the importation process. I stick to the pre-1985 models. Most of those I have purchased have what I consider very low miles for the year. Anything under 75,000 miles is low to me. But I put on a tleast 20-30,000 miles each year.

Up here, a heavily used, high mileage 77-80 R100RS will sell for at least $5-6000. A really nice one in almost showroom condition sold last month in Vancouver for over $12,000.

A part of the high cost of airheads in Canada is that we have a lot less of them, and those we do have are ridden a lot. It is very normal to see 30 year old bikes with over 200,000 miles on them. Some are really well taken care of and polished every week, while others are lucky to see a real bath once a year. But we ride the heck out of them and eventually wear them out.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote