User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
WADE-O OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Gas can

Looking at doing a trip and may need to strap some extra gas to the bike. What is a good gas can that won't leak if it is strapped to where the passenger seat normal would be? And i am probably going to have a duffel bag on there as well that will have tent and other camp odds and ends in it there as well.

STAY POSITIVE AND LOVE YOUR LIFE - 311
WADE-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Rotopax, mounted to a pillion plate.

I carry a gallon of gas under a gallon of water, under a drybag. (they also make a 2 gallon size, but it won't fit between the handles on the rear GSA luggage rack unless you raise it an inch or so)

JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
WADE-O OP
Adventurer

There is no worries about it leaking? Also i have the vario top case but adv aluminuim side cases so will the 1 gallon be the biggest one i could fit on there?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
In the top picture you can see the stainless steel handle going across the near end of the gas can.(it's not as close as it looks, but the 2 gal won't fit between) The bike is a standard GS, but I put on the GSA rear rack which has those handles. The regular GS don't have them so the wider 2 gallon size will fit fine. It could also be shimmed up an inch to go over those handles on the GSA rack.
Rotopax is expensive (for a gas can) and I've left it in the sun on 100+ degree days with no leakage. I've ridden several thousands of miles in 7 western states in all kinds of weather and never had a problem.

Edit; There is a similar gas can called Kolpin. I have no experience with it, but I've heard complaints that they sometimes leak, and aren't as well made. I've never heard of a leaky Rotopax, but obviously, it's possible.

JustKip screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 06:06 PM
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
WADE-O OP
Adventurer

Ya they are kinda expensive but i think that it seems like they are worth it. I was looking on there website and the L bracket for attachment do you know of the can has to be mount on the particular side of the mount or can it move from side to side of the mount?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
BlairBear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Extra Fuel

I have 4 1/2 gallon fuel cell that mounts where the rear seat mounts on my 08. It has a large deck on top where I throw all my camping gear. Makes it nice when I travel, I only have to stop for fuel every 380 miles.
BlairBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
tlwood99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Depending on your need, I like Touratech's 3L can fixed to the rear of the bike is a good option. It doesn't hold as much, but it allows you to run the tank down near empty with out fear of being stranded.
tlwood99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
Shortguy on BMW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
i have a 3gal. RotoPax on a super pillion plate from Best Rest. i carried a large duffle and a tire on top of in

Yes, It is under there.
Shortguy on BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Rotopax

Never had a problem with the Rotopax mounted on the top-box. I use either a one gallon or two gallon depending on the trip. Just gives me that little safety margin as Goliath can get a bit thirsty when loaded. Hot or cold - They have never vented or leaked when mounted flat. They will expand ever-so-slightly with the sun which can make the screw-down fitting hard to release, so I made a 'spanner' to help turn the locking handle.

MIXR screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 01:47 AM Reason: Info added
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
WADE-O OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairBear View Post
I have 4 1/2 gallon fuel cell that mounts where the rear seat mounts on my 08. It has a large deck on top where I throw all my camping gear. Makes it nice when I travel, I only have to stop for fuel every 380 miles.
What type of can do you have? I like the design of the rotopax as well i think it is a great system. I hope there is a dealer is something close to where i live.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
BlairBear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Gas

There is a photo of it in Trip planning," got gas". #33 I leave it on most of the time. I only have to fill it up every 360 to 400 miles (plumbed into the main tank). I have almost 75K with this setup. I usally throw my camping gear on top, but I it set up that I can strap things on the sides on top of the bags. It's been great running the back roads out west where the little local gas stations want an arm and a leg for gas! I just smile, and keep on rolling.
BlairBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by WADE-O View Post
Looking at doing a trip and may need to strap some extra gas to the bike. What is a good gas can that won't leak if it is strapped to where the passenger seat normal would be? And i am probably going to have a duffel bag on there as well that will have tent and other camp odds and ends in it there as well.
Another vote for RotoPax. I carry one that I mount to my OEM Vario top case. It's just strapped on with quick release buckles on 1" nylon straps. The 'handles' that the straps go through are just cheapie drawer-pulls that I mounted to the top case..they provide handy attachment points for all kinds of stuff. I mounted four of them with short ss bolts, bedded in RTV to keep the holes waterproof.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,258
How NOT to mount a RotoPax...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684873
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,308
You can use just about any gas can securely fastened. I have used a Wal-Mart one gallon under a bungee net. Up to Alaska that is all James and Colleen did.

I made a 'cradle' for a one gallon Wal-Mart and sat it on the back of a TT pannier.

I've also used the 3L TT one, it's very good...stayed on the bike at a 60mph cow hit/flip!

Extra gas is nice. Even a one gallon milk jug works in a push.

For more rugged and well fixed I'd also Roto-Pak or a well built cradle for a one gallon jug.

MSR fuel containers work well too. TT has a mount for those.

NEVER pass a gas station....even if you are half full. I passed one at 3/4 full and still ran out of gas before the next one. How could that happen? Washignton State...Route 17 north...Fill with gas, head up past Ephrata, take 2 right at Coulee City...ignore gas station...take 21 north at Wlibur...ignore gas station....take ferry across...take 21 north towards Republic...run out of gas 11 miles short of Republic. I'm not even sure if there was gas at Wilbur, but there certainly is none on that stretch of 21!

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
WADE-O OP
Adventurer

Good thinking about never missing a gas station it makes sense i mean i plan to properly plan this trip as to mitigate the risk of running out of gas but that little extra security is always nice :)