Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #31
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Cool bikes, Ive had a few of them, I put up a page about my recent resto one on my website: My 1974 Honda MT250 with CR250 top end and Bassani pipe

FWIW, the 75 CR cylinder will not fit the crankcases of the MT, only the 73/74 top ends will...

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #32
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Oddometer: 120
I'm having fun with the bike. Ill have to try the air box lid trick. As for the pipe. My stock pipe is perfect. I ordered a DG low pipe for Ricky racing around on the street. I did see your mt250 page. Is your bike up and running?

Ryan
Dirtstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #33
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Today was the first day after work I had time to open up the eBay packages I got. I opened up the cr250 cylinder and it was wrong! Damn! Looks like its a 76. First thing I noticed is the exhaust faces left. That's no good. So I got the gaskets out next. Well see for your self. The guy is looking through his junk for something to exchange it with. If that doesn't work I'm in search of a cylinder again...
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Old 10-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #34
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,749
Well Crap,thats no good. I wonder if some porting whiz could port the MT cylinder you have to CR specs or even better?
Could find the port specs online and practice porting by doing it yourself. We did so on some of my racebikes back in the day and it worked out fine. Its not that hard to do.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #35
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Well Crap,thats no good. I wonder if some porting whiz could port the MT cylinder you have to CR specs or even better?
Could find the port specs online and practice porting by doing it yourself. We did so on some of my racebikes back in the day and it worked out fine. Its not that hard to do.
According to some race guys, the mt cylinder is too small on the intake area. This is true. So they say you can never grind to the level of flow the cr cyl makes. I got a lead on one now. Besides, I'm saving the mt cylinder for a reed block conversion. Muah!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #36
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

The new cylinder got here. It's the right one for sure! Looks great! Where was this hiding nearly 40 years? Lol
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #37
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

You know the old adage, "if you can start it you can ride it!" ? Well she can start it now... She stole my bike for most of the day!

Borrego Springs is a great place to ride a vintage bike. Mostly sand with smooth dirt roads to power slide around on. Also there is some cool stuff to see out there.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #38
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Day two of Borrego springs we went up coyote canyon. Anza Borrego desert is one of the only Desert that has running water year round.

Most of the ride looked like this

The little bit of water in the desert and it crosses the road!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #39
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

So a crazy turn of events happened. My girl love my mt250 so much she got her own! Now that's funny!
It came with really cool spares. CR top end, bassani pipe, and has aluminum cr wheels on it!

Dirtstar1 screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 06:23 PM
Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #40
Dirtstar1 OP
Human torpedo

Off to ocotillo wells for a vintage day in the dirt. Gave my girls some 2 stroke pointers and she was power sliding in no time! This is her new favorite bike. She wants to sell the wr250x now! Lol
Old 04-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #41
JonW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
That's great! I wish I lived near that canyon you guys have... Id be riding my MT/CR now...

I've pretty much finished mine now, but... sigh.. my interest has moved elsewhere so Im going to sell it, shame i know

If anyone in the Sydney area is keen to own a CR top ended MT with uprated carb and NOS Bassani pipe, that is mostly 'as new' with restored or good original parts, then let me know via my website or PM here.

Thanks to all who have supported the Omega PloProf book at DeskDivers.com - it's very much appreciated
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote