Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #91
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ_Kevin View Post
So whats next? Well, here are the 250 experts leaving the line at Bridgehampton in 1979. Number 64 is me! Haha, will I still have the nerve to line up again??? Stay tuned!!!

never get tired of good 70's mx shots. got anymore in a larger size? thats really sweet. so is your YZ 465, I think if I had moved from a KDX 400 to a YZ 465 I could have had one more brush with greatness in 82....
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #92
xteacher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I had an 81 YZ465 in the late 80's. It was around 88. Man it was a bear to kick over. It ran like a scalded dog, way faster than I was. But man was it fun. We ran 1/2" zips into the knobs for ice traction. It spit them out like bad chiclets! I wish I still had it.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:32 AM   #93
skuikka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
FJ_Kevin, You mentioned somewhere, that you had been welding the clutch cover of some of your YZ-engines. We have a small crack in the clutch cover of -87 490. It will be fine for this season with a bit of epoxy, but I'm hoping to weld it during the winter. Do you know what sort of Magnesium mixture is used in the sidecover? What sort of filler did you use?
The crack is about 5cm below the starter shaft and I'm worried it might be getting larger.
skuikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #94
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Great Reading

Hi FJ_Kevin,
Great reading your thread on your YZ465. I had a 1981 YZ 250 H and my brother had the 465, great bikes! I have the chance of getting a 1981 250, and your thread has only made me want it more. These 80's Yamaha's are awesome machines, I remember watching Hakan Carlquist win at Farleigh Castle in the U.K,I think it was 1983, he was a tremendous rider that year.
Dirtybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #95
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuikka View Post
FJ_Kevin, You mentioned somewhere, that you had been welding the clutch cover of some of your YZ-engines. We have a small crack in the clutch cover of -87 490. It will be fine for this season with a bit of epoxy, but I'm hoping to weld it during the winter. Do you know what sort of Magnesium mixture is used in the sidecover? What sort of filler did you use?
The crack is about 5cm below the starter shaft and I'm worried it might be getting larger.
You can generally weld mag with commonly available rods no problem. However if this proves to be impossible, then get a scrap case and cut this up to make filler material. Repairing with epoxy makes welding much more difficult, as its very hard to get rid of the epoxy completely before welding.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #96
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Pissed Two of my YZ465's Stolen!!! Including this bike!

Hi Folks,

Although it has been awhile, I have been preparing some more material to post for this project. Unfortunately, I now I have another reason to post.

Last night, 10/5/12, my 2nd garage was broken into and the bike feature here as well as another '81 yz465 where stolen from me.

I did not get around to writing down the serial numbers from either bike and of course feel like a real idiot for not doing so. Too preoccupied with making an honest living I guess.

There is still a chance I have a photo that could turn up a frame number for the project bike but I am still looking.

The engine serial number is 1LV-002167. This number is for the bike featured here and shown again in photos below. This is the motor composed of yz490 cases and yz465 top end.

I still have my IT490 as that was in my main garage being readied for a cross country race tomorrow.

I also had some street motorcycles in the same garage but they went out of their way to take the dirt bikes, living behind the street bikes. As luck would have it the street bikes were insured against theft but the 465's were not. So the time, money and effort will be a total loss to me unless recovered.

Please keep an eye out for these bikes. They were stolen in Owings Mills, Maryland
My email is kgfaison@msn.com. I am posting the bike featured here. This bike is race ready. I am still looking for photos of the other one.

$500 for info leading to full or partial recovery of these YZ465's

Thanks,
Kevin

Here is the garage door as I found it... you can see how they pushed in the glass to unlock the door.

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670

FJ_Kevin screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 09:56 PM
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #97
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 462
Damn!

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT: TAT SHAK

ARA - Adventure Riders of Arkansas
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #98
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
Sorry to hear that. I'll keep my eyes out. Hopefully they'll try to ride them sans gear and the bike will eject them in correct fashion causing grievous injury.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #99
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys...

I replaced the garage door today and have moved my other bikes to a more secure building.

We have a lot of folks now keeping an eye open for these 465's so who knows, maybe they will turn up eventually.

In the mean time I still have one more 465 parts bike, looks like it will be a busy winter.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #100
anotherguy
Banned

Oddometer: 6,212
I have a few parts for my '80. If ya need a particular item lemme know.
anotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #101
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,996
total sukkage!

I hate reading posts like this. Now would someone try to convince me that some men in this world don't need killin?
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #102
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Stolen YZ465's in Maryland -RECOVERED TODAY!

Well boys, I received some great news today at lunchtime!

My two stolen YZ465's were found in the back of an apartment complex about 2 miles from where they were taken .

Police called just as I was sharing the story with guys at work. They were discovered in a ravine by an apartment maintenance man (yes, he will be rewarded!). He called the police who in turn called me.

It looks to me like the knuckleheads never got them started. These 465's can take some kicking if you dont know the drill .
My guess is they eventually got frustrated and so then sent them for a ghost ride down the ravine. Obviously they had no idea they were in possession of the now famous AVDrider YZ465 Factory Replica!

Fortunately, they are not too badly damaged. Mostly broken levers, bent fenders and side panels.

One of the rear tires was knocked partially off the rim and that make it difficult to roll. We had a heck of a time getting them out and I re-injured my back in doing it. I was very fortunate to have three Baltimore County Police Officers who went beyond the call in assisting me in recovering them from the ravine. They got down there with me, in the pricker bushes and slick muddy slopes. They did a great deal of hard work in getting them out. I cant say enough about them and will surely
be writing a letter of appreciation.

Now that I have them back I have recorded the frame and motor numbers. Something I had not gotten around to doing. I also replaced the front door to the garage yesterday. The new door does not have a window.

Several folks suggested I lock them up even when stored indoors and I will be doing that. You can bet I am working to tighten the overall security around here!

The thieves themselves have not yet been identified although police did lift prints off the garage door . After surveying the situation, one officer said these guys were not very bright, and that if not for this offense, they would eventually be caught for something .

Here is a photo of the two bikes in the ravine. Trust me, the slope is much steeper than it looks!

As you can imagine, I am really happy to have recovered these these. Especially the one that has been the focus here as I have so much time in it.

Looks like the YZ Factory Racer thread continues!

Kevin

Old 10-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #103
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,450
That is so great, I wish the same about my guns , I found out I am missing 4

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #104
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,996
We need a marching band!

Yea!!! This post really affected me. I have thought about it several times through the day. Having restored a few myself, I could feel your pain. I'm sorry to hear of the damage that resulted, but it could have been worse. Gotta like a happy ending.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #105
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,172
Wow, you got lucky! I didn't think you would ever see them again.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote