Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
ygue6072 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
insurance in spain

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to Spain in April 2013 for just over 4 weeks. We live in Australia. Shipping his bike over is not an option for us. We looked at hiring a motorbike and found one that will set us back about 1600euro. My concern is none of the travel insurance I can find covers motorbike rental excess (which is about 2000euro) and it also doesn't cover personal liability... The insurance that comes with the bike only covers personal liability to 6000euro which isn't very much.

Does anyone know of travel insurance that will cover this?

Or would we be better off buying a bike and selling it at the end of our trip? Is it difficult to get insurance in Spain for non-residents?
ygue6072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
ajmac
gorilla balancin on a pin

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ygue6072 View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going to Spain in April 2013 for just over 4 weeks. We live in Australia. Shipping his bike over is not an option for us. We looked at hiring a motorbike and found one that will set us back about 1600euro. My concern is none of the travel insurance I can find covers motorbike rental excess (which is about 2000euro) and it also doesn't cover personal liability... The insurance that comes with the bike only covers personal liability to 6000euro which isn't very much.

Does anyone know of travel insurance that will cover this?

Or would we be better off buying a bike and selling it at the end of our trip? Is it difficult to get insurance in Spain for non-residents?
i am not sure for 'local' bikes but i insured through moto milan in italy when doing my europe part of my two year trip .they got me a green card which also covered jme for morocco which is a must do as its a 45 minute ferry ride across(i highly reccoment entry in via tangier med its a new port and away from all the hassle).you can purchase 3 6 or 12 months from them but i believe the bike must be a foriegn bike.......spain looks like its getting more foriegn as the news unfolds there.really great riding and menu de dias is cheap eats.enjoy and hope that helps
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,214
It's been a while since I left Spain, so things could have changed. Nonetheless: When there (as a non-resident first then later as a resident), all my vehicles were insured with Mapfre http://www.mapfre.com/seguros/es/index.shtml

and the cost was extremely reasonable.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
4 weeks is way too short to do a buy/sell IMO.

1600 Euro is a really good price for 28 days from what I have seen. I would have though you would be looking at more like 2500 euro min for that length of time on a bike.

You could get cheap 3rd party insurance but that will only solve the liability problem. Not sure how you would go about reducing the excess. Maybe try renting elsewhere?
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
ygue6072 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Yes, I know 1600euro is a good price. My main concern is the personal liability. From what I have found insurance companies won't let you take out third party insurance on rental bikes, only bikes that you own -- unless you know of any specifically that I could call/email.
ygue6072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
You can get cheap green card insurance from Doug Wothke, the guy who runs motosapiens.

http://motosapiens.org/moto/?q=en/node/1

Email them there. IT however is not valid for the country that he motorbike is registered in.
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Cameleer
Worldcrzer

Oddometer: 69
You may want to write an email to Johannes, Eva or Volker at hispaniatours.com based in Malaga and Barcelona, they are extremely helpful. They are storing my bike as we speak. Best regards and good luck, C
Cameleer is offline   Reply With Quote