User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
funguseater OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Charging problems with Garmin Zumo 350 LM on F800GS

I have just bought and hard wired direct to battery a Zumo 350 LM. Problem is that it is not charging the unit when plugged into the Garmin cradle. I have double checked the 2 pin plug (the one with the tiny screw in the back!), and checked the fuse. All seem fine.

I connected the red wire to the +ve battery, and black to -ve, should I try the other way round perhaps ? Cant think of anything else, any help would be great.

The GPS charges fine when I use the BMW DIN socket / cigarette adaptor by the way.

Have already spent quite a few man hours on this job
funguseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
stegzzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Question Did you have any luck?

I've just connected my 350LM up and note sure if it working properly. There is no measurable voltage at the two pins in the cradle
stegzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
funguseater OP
n00b

I have measured the voltage on the pins by connecting a multimeter on the +ve battery terminal, and then on the pins.

One pin came out at 12.4 v, the other at 7.4 v

I phoned Garmin UK, who said it should by over 12v on both pins, so they are sending out a new wiring harness.

Hope that cures it. Give them a ring and they should help you out
Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
stegzzz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Talking

Thanks, redid my wiring and lo, it works!
stegzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
orangewingnut
n00b

Oddometer: 4
i have a similar problem with my 3 week old 350. i have it powered to a switched 12v accessory lead on my 2011 concours. The unit worked fine until while riding the other day, it lost power and showed the count down to shutting off and then would regain power when the countdown reached 2 seconds left. It continued to go through this cycle of power/no power over and over again until i just shut it off altogether.

I checked and rechecked the connections to the hot lead and ground and checked the voltage from the leads... everything was fine with those.

Now, when i turn on the ignition, it powers up. But, when i turn the bike off, it does not power down like it should and just switches to the internal battery.

The gps functions as it should when i have it plugged in to the cig adapter in my car.
This doesn't necessarily mean the bike cradle or the power supply cable are bad as the connection in the car to the unit is a usb type connection into the back of the unit.
I did not, however check the voltage at the two leads on the cradle that match up with the ones on the gps, as mentioned in a above post.

I called Garmin and they suggested i try a new power supply cord (they would send me one under warranty) but i insisted they send me a new unit as they couldn't tell me with any certainty that would fix my issue.
I guess this is what i get for buying a brand new unit to the market.

Garmin tells me this is not a known issue with this unit, but after reading the above posts.... it makes me wonder.

Bill
orangewingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
funguseater OP
n00b

got a refund today for the 350 LM after the replacement wiring harness Garmin sent didnt solve the problem. So I am in the market for another sat nav now.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
orangewingnut
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by funguseater View Post
got a refund today for the 350 LM after the replacement wiring harness Garmin sent didnt solve the problem. So I am in the market for another sat nav now.
what was the issue with your 350?

Bill
Old 08-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
funguseater OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangewingnut View Post
what was the issue with your 350?

Bill
for some reason it would not charge in the cradle, so guess the pins were not touching as the voltage was fine at the pins
Old 08-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
orangewingnut
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by funguseater View Post
for some reason it would not charge in the cradle, so guess the pins were not touching as the voltage was fine at the pins
so it wasn't the power supply cable and it wasn't the cradle.... so the problem must be with the pins on the back of the unit. I wonder if this new connection design is flawed...

i got and installed my new replacement 350 on Wednesday and installed it later that night. Seems to be working now. I will post updates if i have the same problem again.

Bill
Old 10-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Bill345bikes
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I have a problem with my Zumo 350 too!

Just yesterday installed my Zumo 350 with hard wire kit to my battery on my BMW F650 twin. Drove 150 miles today and twice I got a message that it had lost external power. I squeezed the unit into the cradle and it seemed to work after each time I did this. I don't consider this a solution but it must be as others have said, something to do with the pin contact. I emailed Garmin today and will wait to see what they say about it.
Bill345bikes is offline   Reply With Quote