User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #61
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Very cool thread!

Im brand new to the adventure/dual sport scene. Bought my first street legal bike 3 days ago.
Any suggestions for the paris landing area of the state? I'm wanting to find some nice old roads around here but I don't have any idea where to start. Dirt and gravel are preferred but I'm open to any roads that are fun.
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #62
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD19892 View Post
Very cool thread!

Im brand new to the adventure/dual sport scene. Bought my first street legal bike 3 days ago.
Any suggestions for the paris landing area of the state? I'm wanting to find some nice old roads around here but I don't have any idea where to start. Dirt and gravel are preferred but I'm open to any roads that are fun.
Thanks.You have some nice places to ride up there...after you get a tenderloin breakfast sammmich and a fried pie (peach please) from Trollingers.

Wow, I know I'm gonna sound like an old geezer, but three days in, I'd hafta say parking lots, industrial parks, and maybe a nice cushy field would be a good place to start.

After that, 218, 232 147, the trace etc..Check out whatever gravel roads you run across that don't say "dead end" or "trespassers will be shot".

Here's a "Faux Pro Ghetto Cam" view of 232 south to 147. Go right at 147 and you end up on the ferry.

8trackmind screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 05:12 PM
8trackmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #63
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trackmind View Post
Thanks.You have some nice places to ride up there...after you get a tenderloin breakfast sammmich and a fried pie (peach please) from Trollingers.

Wow, I know I'm gonna sound like an old geezer, but three days in, I'd hafta say parking lots, industrial parks, and maybe a nice cushy field would be a good place to start.

After that, 218, 232 147, the trace etc..Check out whatever gravel roads you run across that don't say "dead end" or "trespassers will be shot".

Here's a "Faux Pro Ghetto Cam" view of 232 south to 147. Go right at 147 and you end up on the ferry.

Haha we actually own Dodd"s the station out by the lake that has a restaurant and everything, so the tenderloin and fried pies are a lot cheaper for me at our place. And I meant three days into the dual sport portion. I've been riding offroad for 12 or 13 years now. My current dirt only ride is an 06' CRF250r. Its my baby :)
Oh and I have to go with the apple pies. Sorry
Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #64
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Quote:
Haha we actually own Dodd"s the station out by the lake that has a restaurant and everything, so the tenderloin and fried pies are a lot cheaper for me at our place. And I meant three days into the dual sport portion. I've been riding offroad for 12 or 13 years now. My current dirt only ride is an 06' CRF250r. Its my baby :)
Oh and I have to go with the apple pies. Sorry
Hey, apple is fine..I eat those when there are no peach pies left. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

I'm actually the wrong person to direct you to decent dual sport roads in that area.
When I end up on one, it's usually because I took a wrong turn. I'm just to lazy and/or stupid to turn around.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #65
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Haha well slab is fine too as long as it gets me away from some of the lunatics out here. I'm hoping to try the TAT next summer but I want to find some stuff around here to help me get used to the heavy bike.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #66
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Quote:
Haha well slab is fine too as long as it gets me away from some of the lunatics out here. I'm hoping to try the TAT next summer but I want to find some stuff around here to help me get used to the heavy bike.
Honestly, many of my best trips have been about picking a direction, then just heading down random roads exploring.
If I were you, I would simply follow the river south.
Hell, go to Florence Abalama for no reason whatsoever. Well, maybe not that far...but you get the idea.

Here's the GPX file for folks that like to plan: https://www.box.com/s/p8omzoulnqzms0i8mooq Take lots of pics for us!

8trackmind screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 08:08 PM
Old 09-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #67
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,005
bikes blues & bbq this wkend ya still thinking about it?

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #68
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
bikes blues & bbq this wkend ya still thinking about it?
...Yeah, but it looks like think'n is all I'll get to do.
I'll be working out of town the rest of this week so I won't be back in time to go.
Thank for the invite though. I'm sure our paths will cross sooner or later... (Since it seems we're riding the same roads all the time)
Old 10-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #69
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Tupelo, Honey!

No work for 8track today. No sir. All work and no play…blah blah blah.
So, more boring prose, bad grammar, and poor photos for your viewing enjoyment. Woo Hoo!
The route to the Natchez Trace:

Yeah, I know the Natchez Trace rides have been done to death…but I have a coffee interlude in my story.

Sunrise on I-40 east.

Rest Rooms were interesting.
Mens room: Hanks Ladies room: Lorettas

Sheep have to stay in the car...no matter how much they whine.

Almost there

To be continued.

8trackmind screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 04:22 PM Reason: Doh!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #70
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Made it!

Since it was a weekday morning, I had the place to myself it seemed.

Turkeys...no really.

The house is behind the sign...I didn't get a picture because I was distracted.

Yep, it was "coffee interlude" time.
Pot, cup, beer can chicken holder thingamabob, diet coke stove.

Heating up. Areopress ready for liftoff.

Breakfast too? Hell, why not.

Looks like a chewed up couch cushion with bacon bits... Tasted like a chewed up couch cushion...with bacon bits.

After a few miles I came upon an "old trace" road...

Now I could really feel what it would be like to ride a motorcycle in the 1800's...on a paved road.

Went across a tiny wooden bridge.

Back to the new trace.

8trackmind screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 05:20 PM
Old 10-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #71
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

On down the road I came to the
Tenn Tom waterway

Pumpkin strikes are common in the fall.

Made it to the Natchez Trace welcome center in Tupelo Mississippi

Yeah, I don't know what it says either...but this was the last stop before I hit Hwy 78 and headed home.

Made it home before 5:00 PM. 468 miles, now thats a day trip.

(Nevermind that 96 MPH thing, that was done on a "closed course" by a "professional rider")

The End.

8trackmind screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 06:35 PM
Old 10-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #72
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Keep promoting Tennessee

Great ride report. Tennessee has some fantastic rides and you're helping us find them.

I hope to begin a series on the State Parks of Tennessee one day. There are a lot of them and I think it would be fun. I've also thought that maybe it would be fun to collaborate with some other Tennessee riders in an ongoing ride report about our State parks with different riders going to different parks and doing a story.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #73
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia View Post
Great ride report. Tennessee has some fantastic rides and you're helping us find them.
Thank you.

Quote:
I hope to begin a series on the State Parks of Tennessee one day. There are a lot of them and I think it would be fun. I've also thought that maybe it would be fun to collaborate with some other Tennessee riders in an ongoing ride report about our State parks with different riders going to different parks and doing a story.
No need. I plan on visting every single one next year so I can keep this dumb thread alive.
(Kidding. Good idea, and yes I'm in)

Here's my dumb Idea of the day; what if the rider that's local to that Tennessee park "hosts" or "guides" a day ride or a weekend camp out? Kind of like a pick up game at a basketball court? Kinda like a advrider/match.com

Someone says; "Hohenwald, first weekend in November, BP on main. Sat, 8am. Bring a tent. All pavement. First four people to respond have the invite"

If you show, you show, if not "host" does his thing solo. (he's local so he'll be doing his thing either way)
It could be a great way to see the best stuff with a local that knows his way around...then again, it could suck. Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #74
Liberia
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8trackmind View Post
Here's my dumb Idea of the day; what if the rider that's local to that Tennessee park "hosts" or "guides" a day ride or a weekend camp out? Kind of like a pick up game at a basketball court? Kinda like a advrider/match.com

Someone says; "Hohenwald, first weekend in November, BP on main. Sat, 8am. Bring a tent. All pavement. First four people to respond have the invite"

If you show, you show, if not "host" does his thing solo. (he's local so he'll be doing his thing either way)
It could be a great way to see the best stuff with a local that knows his way around...then again, it could suck. Thoughts?
Seems like a more than decent plan that would get folks together. I would likely have to start in the spring but that might give people plenty of time to pick a park and a date. Could be a lot of fun.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 AM   #75
8trackmind OP
Housebroken Jackalope

Quote:
Seems like a more than decent plan that would get folks together. I would likely have to start in the spring but that might give people plenty of time to pick a park and a date. Could be a lot of fun.
No doubt. We'll give it a trial run in the spring.
I'm sure you folks in middle/east tennessee will get a lot of action...but me out here in the west...