Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #616
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Thanks, Wobblyoldgeezer, pilot3, Mtl_Biker (next time I'm in Montreal I'll hit you up, Eldor!), and LWRider. I'm only half done with the US. so far! (Long sigh)

Ben carfuel--thanks for the article. And I though Boston was bad! Santa Clara, CA has one of those suicide lanes and I was almost killed before I left when a car made a left turn straight into it. Great for traffic flow, but very confusing for 1) idiot drivers and 2) people who aren't familiar with protocol, which means most drivers.

EricD--haven't seen Lola's. I agree, though--this is the perfect time of year to be here. I was out at two different beaches today and they were empty. Love being alone on a huge expanse of beautiful land that I have all to myself.

Uploading pics now....

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 06:13 PM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #617
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Lambert's Cove Beach

Toxic plant flat:

Wild (and suicidal) Turkeys in the background:

Steel Toe dipping in the Atlantic:

Coastline off of Beach Rd. (Photoshop fender eliminator)

(Now you know why I did the editing. Ugly, but without that protrusion I'd have nothing to tether my Kreiga bag to!)

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 06:12 PM
Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #618
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oak Bluffs:

And I finally found Jaws locations:

(Where the Orca sets sail: Menemsha Harbor)

(Quint's workshop, also in Menemsha Harbor)
Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #619
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Carufel View Post
Someone at Jalopnik agrees with you, Anti. Well timed article!

http://jalopnik.com/5948956/ten-ways...traffic-lights
Holy Crap!!!

I was at #2 on the list yesterday!! I was bringing my daughter to the SF zoo. We were in the left hand turn lane and there was a Muni train there. It got the go ahead and our left hand green arrow never came. We had to wait for another whole cycle of lights before we got to pass. What a load of crap. Good thing it was at noon and not 4pm....

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #620
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Hit 9K miles a couple days ago.

Damn, a long-term road review is long overdue.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #621
Dunewar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
Holy Crap!!!

I was at #2 on the list yesterday!! I was bringing my daughter to the SF zoo. We were in the left hand turn lane and there was a Muni train there. It got the go ahead and our left hand green arrow never came. We had to wait for another whole cycle of lights before we got to pass. What a load of crap. Good thing it was at noon and not 4pm....

JG
I am in the traffic engineering business, and there is a whole wave of new realtime network based solutions coming, but it is going to cost time and money... But none of that in this excellent ride report (or is it life report?). I wanna read about man-machine connections. I have experienced 'the zone', where the mind does nothing but ride. Every motion is fluid, the whole world seems two clicks quieter, and time does not exist. Those are the rides where i only stop for gas, get back on and go go go
Dunewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #622
armozx6r
n00b

Oddometer: 1
this blog motivated me to actually register on this site. Incredible read and inspiring.. look me up if ever in Joisey' and looking to ride or bored. Good luck to you.

loved your quote:

Our lives can be spent carrying out actions that we hope will lead us to a greater sense of purpose, accomplishment and meaning, but all these are secondary to the need to feel alive. And when we pursue the activities that make us truly feel alive, we discover the places and people and things we always had wished existed--people and places and things that have always been there--waiting patiently for our arrival.
armozx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #623
PhillipsMetal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetah_mn View Post
Ouch that is the worst I have seen yet. Did you need surgery, stitches?
40 some odd stitches. Initially wanted to do surgery but talked them into sewing it up and letting me go home. They were amazed that the knee cap wasn't broken. I hope that Super Chachi has a speedy recovery.
PhillipsMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #624
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Read Joseph Campbell....that idea of following your dreams (as he put it, bliss), was something I had always been suspect of. But after three months of doing just that I realize it's real. Still takes a lot of dedication and effort and thought, but devote yourself (even if it's for just an hour or two a day) to following that internal voice that's pure you--and new worlds open.

It's a big world out there and amazing things can happen when you expose yourself to failure, fear and chance.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #625
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Read Joseph Campbell....that idea of following your dreams (as he put it, bliss), was something I had always been suspect of. But after three months of doing just that I realize it's real. Still takes a lot of dedication and effort and thought, but devote yourself (even if it's for just an hour or two a day) to following that internal voice that's pure you--and new worlds open.

It's a big world out there and amazing things can happen when you expose yourself to failure, fear and chance.
We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
Lee C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #626
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee C View Post
We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
I love that quote. I also like, "Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."

-Joseph Campbell

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #627
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I love that quote. I also like, "Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain."

-Joseph Campbell

JG
Gets you thinking doesn't
If you are falling....dive.
Lee C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #628
sunset_ryder
aka "toots"

Oddometer: 577
Excellent RR! Found this thread this morning and read it start to finish. Somehow makes me exhale and feel more peaceful
When you're in New Mexico, I'll buy.
sunset_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #629
GZPainter
A Scouser from Crete

Oddometer: 161
Excellent RR!! I was driven here from another RR with Ducati's ....
I really like the way that you used the Panigale and now I am more tempted to sell my GSA
and buy the S1kRR that I lure...
Keep riding!!!

PS: I could easily use both Panigale and a similar tuned S2K for commute.. it will be my best time before I hit the lab...

LE.M.A.N. - Ayios Nikolaos Crete Riders Club
http://leman-bikersclub.gr/
If you are around, try to find them, they will help you...

GZPainter screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 02:04 AM
GZPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #630
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Last few pics of the Vineyard:

Went out for a ride on some of the back trails in MV before I left. First two times I rode bikes after the tumor I ended up sliding into paralysis, then passing out. So I was a little worried being out in the middle of deer-tick-infested 'nowhere'. But I survived. Felt really strange afterwards, but it sure felt great to be pedaling again.

Road terminated out at a desolate section of the coastline. Far more stunning than the picture suggests.

And the last night I went out to dinner and was fortunate enough to sit next to Eleanor and Don. They were high school sweethearts who grew up during the depression in Brooklyn (married for 61 years). Great people who loved hearing my stories of adventure as much as I loved hearing about growing up and living on the East Coast. And though she doesn't look it, she's also a french fry thief. ;)