User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 04:35 AM   #16
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
I would not buy wilbers again..
Less than a year on the bike, and the rear is leaking.. Ted was great to work with. (When I bought them)
I've been without my bike for three weeks. The hose running to the preload adjuster leaks, they need to get one from Germany. No idea if it's warranty or not. No idea when they will receive a replacement..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #17
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
I would not buy wilbers again..
Less than a year on the bike, and the rear is leaking.. Ted was great to work with. (When I bought them)
I've been without my bike for three weeks. The hose running to the preload adjuster leaks, they need to get one from Germany. No idea if it's warranty or not. No idea when they will receive a replacement..
Is it just the hose that is leaking or the shock seals too? Curious because I am considering a Wilbers purchase and this is the first I have read of a failure. Why wouldn't it be a warranty repair?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

It apparently was both. The seal and the hose to the preload adjuster.
According to Wilbers, they don't think the hose should be damaged during normal wear and tear, so it must have been done during the install. I don't think so, and it was fine for the first 2,000 miles. They still haven't decided.
All I know is the day mine arrived in CA for service they said they received 7 for rebuild. That number seems high to me.
But maybe they have a lot of them in moto-cross bikes etc. and that is a logical number.
They are going to send it to me without the preload adjuster working, so I can at least ride some this fall. But then, I'm going to have to remove it and send it in again this winter for the hose to the preload adjuster re-connect. That's another job to remove it, and another $40 to ship it..
Just bad luck. I guess..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
Old 10-09-2012, 04:28 AM   #19
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
It apparently was both. The seal and the hose to the preload adjuster.
According to Wilbers, they don't think the hose should be damaged during normal wear and tear, so it must have been done during the install. I don't think so, and it was fine for the first 2,000 miles. They still haven't decided.
All I know is the day mine arrived in CA for service they said they received 7 for rebuild. That number seems high to me.
But maybe they have a lot of them in moto-cross bikes etc. and that is a logical number.
They are going to send it to me without the preload adjuster working, so I can at least ride some this fall. But then, I'm going to have to remove it and send it in again this winter for the hose to the preload adjuster re-connect. That's another job to remove it, and another $40 to ship it..
Just bad luck. I guess..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. My 2009 GSA stock ESA rear seal took a dump at 32K miles, but was heavily overloaded with gear and bad paved roads.

I'm still debating which ESA compatible to replace it with, will not go with the $2000 plus BMW ESA rear though, so Wilbers, Hyperpro or Olins or still to be determined.

Good luck
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #20
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
I will be purchasing some Yacugars from Ted Porter by the end of the year for my GS1150. Ted and I had a great conversation about setup and I'm really looking forward to getting the order placed.

One thing of note which swayed my decision was the fact that the Yacugars have a steel body. Typically I'm all about saving weight but in this instance I feel that steel is the proper material for this application, given the hard use shocks see on these bikes. Just something to consider when one considers what your intended use is.

Cheers, James

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #21
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,024
This is what I'm going to do next...

http://twalcomusa.com/ohlins-esa-rep...adventure.html

Looks hard to beat. Anyone have any experience?
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,318
These aftermarket shocks, do the manufacturers hard plate the bores of the cylinders (shock tube)?
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #23
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
This is what I'm going to do next...

http://twalcomusa.com/ohlins-esa-rep...adventure.html

Looks hard to beat. Anyone have any experience?
Nice. Do they use the ESA parts from the stock BMW shocks to attach to the new Olins dampers?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #24
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,024
Watch the video. You get ohlins springs and the inner resivoir. You then bolt up your ESA components off the BMW shock and they become ohlins. I've also called and talked to them. Pretty tempting.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #25
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
Watch the video. You get ohlins springs and the inner resivoir. You then bolt up your ESA components off the BMW shock and they become ohlins. I've also called and talked to them. Pretty tempting.
Looks great to me too. I like that the base shock can then be rebuilt like any Ohlins. I would go this way. AC/DC soundtrack was pretty good too.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #26
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Older thread ...any info

Has anyone went this route? Any other new direction one should look at?
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #27
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,851
So Klaus will answer your emails with direct answers.
He didn't offer any insight and pretty much regurgitated what his website says.

Ted Porter, responded to my email... the email said "call me"
I did and we talked for over an hour.
Then a few more times.

I called him yesterday about shocks for my airhead... he said it was his day off and he was doing yard work but... it was just shoveling dirt, so we could still talk. Wouldn't take "i'll call you later for an answer". We talked for 30m easy.

I bought Yacugars from him with all the extras. I wasn't terribly happy with the setup, so he fixed em up while I waited. I've bought other stuff from him as well and am looking at a few options he threw out for the airhead. I have no reason to look elsewhere. You can't get this kind of service anymore at any price.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #28
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
So Klaus will answer your emails with direct answers.
He didn't offer any insight and pretty much regurgitated what his website says.

Ted Porter, responded to my email... the email said "call me"
I did and we talked for over an hour.
Then a few more times.

I called him yesterday about shocks for my airhead... he said it was his day off and he was doing yard work but... it was just shoveling dirt, so we could still talk. Wouldn't take "i'll call you later for an answer". We talked for 30m easy.

I bought Yacugars from him with all the extras. I wasn't terribly happy with the setup, so he fixed em up while I waited. I've bought other stuff from him as well and am looking at a few options he threw out for the airhead. I have no reason to look elsewhere. You can't get this kind of service anymore at any price.
+100. Ted is an amazing resource.

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #29
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

I had a great experience working w Ted to get my shocks squared away. Very thorough and made sure it all worked out.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #30
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
Thumb leaking Wilbers? Nope!

My 1150GS has had Wilbers on it for over 30,000 miles and no leaks or other problems at all. About 1/2 has been 2-up and heavily loaded, 1/2 solo and heavily loaded all over the US while avoiding the slab.

Now we're off to Baja 2-up and loaded -- without worries about shocks or handling. I hope your mileage doesn't vary.....
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote