Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #106
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruk View Post
so now anyone who wants to get new KTM 990adv got only few more months to get them as introducing 1200adv means end of 990adv production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It looks like KTM made the same mistake as Honda replacing Africa Twin with Varadero

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure- BUT- I had heard they are not going to discontinue the 990, just add the 1190 to the list ?
Even if they do , many of the more road traveler types will buy the bigger and sell their 990's, so they will still be out there on the used market for those who prefer a "small " adventure bike.
Said it a million times, when KTM puts out the 700-800cc twin adventure bike, it will be the game changer, for now their focus is going to be put to grabbing the bigger adventure bike market.
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #107
kruk
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
Not sure- BUT- I had heard they are not going to discontinue the 990, just add the 1190 to the list ?.
this is what one of the ktm dealers sent me:
Hi Peter

I would say that the 990 ADV will be sold out in march next year ,

I could get you one now and sell you the bike at 0% finance as long as you don't want to borrow more than 5000

Please give me a call and we can discuss

and that's a quote from different forum:

"Well Gentlemen - I just recently had a chat to the head of KTM Switzerland and I am sorry to inform you, that the days of our beloved 950/990 are numbered. KTM already stoped manufacturing the 950/990 Adventure. The same goes for the SM-T. Both bikes will be available as long they have them stocked in their warehouse."

kruk screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 01:17 PM
kruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #108
Brown Town
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Thought I loved my F800GS until I bought my 990 Baja. There's really no comparing the two stock. Candy apples and oranges.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #109
Tikka Man
n00b

KTM wins

It's all about stacking the odds in your favor. On the pavement any of these big 800cc -1 liter bikes is fine, but you can't go fast on the street for any duration without getting a ticket so additional STREET performance is a non issue. These bikes also suck for going fast on slab due to their dual sport tires etc.

However on dirt roads, logging roads, power line trails, or 2 track these bikes are all way too big and heavy to be easy to ride unless you are very talented. So, the smart thing to do is to make some compromises on the street, to get the BEST of the bunch on the dirt, and that is a KTM 990 without question. Every major Dual Sport Shootout review all comes to the same conclusion, this is the best bike off road.

I recently did the the Trans Lab Highway with my wife on my old BMW F650 GS Dakar and a friend on a new F800 GS. I was easily able to travel at 90 mph in loose freshly graded dirt for hundreds on miles on bike that was fully loaded with camping gear. I'm no great rider by any means but the KTM made up for my lack of skill. On the pavement no issues with 5,000 miles covered in 11 days. I'm originally a BMW guy, having gone to Baja on my old thumper, but the KTM platform is undeniably the better dirt choice.

Now the argument that most folks don't understand is that most of us do 90% of our big dual sport riding on slab so mistakenly think that a machine that is built around a slab baised platform makes more sense. I agree with the percent of time most of us ride on pavement but IMHO the real thing to consider is that since most of us typically don't ride enough dirt to be any good at it, we need all the help we can get when we are on the dirt and that means KTM is the comfortable place to land.
Tikka Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #110
Brown Town
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikka Man View Post
It's all about stacking the odds in your favor. On the pavement any of these big 800cc -1 liter bikes is fine, but you can't go fast on the street for any duration without getting a ticket so additional STREET performance is a non issue. These bikes also suck for going fast on slab due to their dual sport tires etc.

However on dirt roads, logging roads, power line trails, or 2 track these bikes are all way too big and heavy to be easy to ride unless you are very talented. So, the smart thing to do is to make some compromises on the street, to get the BEST of the bunch on the dirt, and that is a KTM 990 without question. Every major Dual Sport Shootout review all comes to the same conclusion, this is the best bike off road.

I recently did the the Trans Lab Highway with my wife on my old BMW F650 GS Dakar and a friend on a new F800 GS. I was easily able to travel at 90 mph in loose freshly graded dirt for hundreds on miles on bike that was fully loaded with camping gear. I'm no great rider by any means but the KTM made up for my lack of skill. On the pavement no issues with 5,000 miles covered in 11 days. I'm originally a BMW guy, having gone to Baja on my old thumper, but the KTM platform is undeniably the better dirt choice.

Now the argument that most folks don't understand is that most of us do 90% of our big dual sport riding on slab so mistakenly think that a machine that is built around a slab baised platform makes more sense. I agree with the percent of time most of us ride on pavement but IMHO the real thing to consider is that since most of us typically don't ride enough dirt to be any good at it, we need all the help we can get when we are on the dirt and that means KTM is the comfortable place to land.
In summary, it's much easier to ride a dirt bike on the street than it is to ride a street bike on the dirt.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #111
Tikka Man
n00b

Now if you get the BMW F650 GS Dakar or Sertao this things rule on more technical stuff, but you have to do major suspension upgrades to make it good. If you can find a used F650 GS at a good deal these are the must have upgrades:

TOURTECH handle bar risers
TOURTECH foot peg relocation kit
Crass bars
Hand guards with METAL not just plastic
TOURTECH progressive front spring upgrade
Olin's rear shock and spring upgrade

BTW you will need the same upgrades on the BMW F800, only the KTM is fine from the factory.
Tikka Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #112
Brown Town
Gnarly Adventurer

In all seriousness, I'm in the middle of a slab trip from Mexico to Canada and a day in I stopped at an OHV park with my 990 Baja and spent six solid hours putting it through the ringer. The nice thing about riding in a park is the great diversity of terrain in close proximity, from mundane to insane...I dropped it more than a dozen times, chucked it off the trail down a hill once, got thrown off it several times, jumped it, ran it up some fairly steep hill climbs...and then spent the next two days riding up the coast in a nasty storm...it chews up whatever I throw at it. Dare I ask more from a dual sport? I'm very sad the platform is disappearing.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #113
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikka Man View Post

I understand your point here, but I think a lot of people misunderstand the design philosophy of the BMW GS range - at least, the range since the oil head. These are travel motorcycles, intended primarily for getting from Place A to Place B via Interesting Place Z. If the road between them is a rutted, washed-out track that only hardy locals and their hardier Honda 125 step-throughs use, then your GS will take this abuse in a manner your FJR1300 might not.

If, however, your requirements of your bike include specific, deliberately-chosen technical off-road riding, you will never be happy with any GS as your only bike. You'd be better off with a WR450 and an Airhawk. Or a KTM Adventure R, which is basically two WR450s with an Airhawk.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #114
polson
2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer: 242
Help talk me out of this purchase.

I currently have this, which I have made as dirt friendly as possible, without changing suspension, yet

But I just found this, 200 miles, basically brand new

Help !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
polson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #115
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by polson View Post
Help talk me out of this purchase.

I currently have this, which I have made as dirt friendly as possible, without changing suspension, yet

But I just found this, 200 miles, basically brand new

Help !

Easy. Do you like riding or trailering to the shop? :)
Old 08-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #116
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
fugly.... get the 1190 which looks like a big 800gs or buy suspension for gs and save money
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 PM   #117
polson
2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt CF View Post
Easy. Do you like riding or trailering to the shop? :)
Please explain?

I haven't has any issues with the bmw. Yet?

polson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #118
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by polson View Post
Please explain?

I haven't has any issues with the bmw. Yet?

I don't think he meant the BMW with that comment!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #119
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,151
Seriously ... Have you taken the 990 for a ride?, some of them can have fueling which is "challenging". Probably all right if you keep the revs up and the throttle pinned at all times, but more than a bit annoying for some of us ... including me. The 950 had carburettors and didn't have this problem. Despite a few problems with the air filter the 1190 seems a good bike and has beautiful fueling.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #120
Capt CF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I don't think he meant the BMW with that comment!
Yep. I have a F700GS and a '14 690. The 700 gets ridden daily and has never seen a shop outside of scheduled service. I have owned the 690 for 8 weeks and 3 of those have been spent in the shop. It's there now with no ETA on a fix and is approaching the criteria for a lemon law claim. Who gives a shit how offroad capable it is when it can't even stay working long enough to make it out of the driveway. :)