Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #16
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh1bby69 View Post
Yea the large O-Ring. It's leaking just above the push rod seals.

How can you pinch that O ring? Did you replace the orings for the top engine studs? Could it be from those leaking down & thru the bottom?
Maybe you need the 2.2mm orings as I read somewhere the standard ones sometime leak???
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #17
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
I had leaking valve covers too....I ended up putting 2 gaskets on each side with no sealant...took care of the leaks.
Probably not ther right way but it worked. I check valve clearances fairly often so didn't want to use sealant.
I probably should have been more specific. Apply the sealant to the cylinder head side of the gasket only. This address the warpage.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,039
I have had good luck sandwiching the two gaskets with sealant and leaving the outer surfaces dry. If it works, you can almost pretend like it's a regular gasket.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, but who wants to lose .5mm of cornering clearance?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #20
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,027
You could grind down the edges of your valve covers to get back some of the clearance.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #21
supershaft
because I can

Now we're talkin'! But hey, it's better than welding on quarter inch thick grinding pads. Talk about making your own problem. That's a good point since I actually jack up my engine and THEN tighten down my engine mounts. Of course, IF I had warped heads, I would mill them. Every little bit helps. Good point! Especially since I never considered getting into them what I would call fun. At least not on the street. It's one thing hitting a bump or dip or getting into them because you just damn near crashed and it's another thing gettting into them because you are seriously hauling the mail. In my experience, something has GOT to give every time. I usually manage by reducing my speed but man you have got to be careful and not back out of the throttle too much or you are going to be into them more than your were to start with!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #22
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
The choice of sealant used in the cylinder base application is critical, if you only want to do the job once.
Three bond and Yamabond are up to the job, where some other high temp silicones like permatex are not, in my experience.

One must ask, what is the point of using a cylinder base o ring when it does not work?

Regards the leaking valve covers, start by re-surfacing the valve cover sealing face by removing the studs and using a piece of glass and wet+dry paper to achieve a flat surface. I start with a coarse grade of 120, followed by 240, and finish with 320. It is easy to see if the covers are warped after just a few rubs on the coarse paper.
A liberal spray of WD40 or similar on the wet+dry assists greatly.
Rubbing in a figure 8 pattern and turning the cover 180 degrees repeatedly will assure a good job.

Once a flat surface on the valve cover is achieved, placing the cover back on the head without a gasket will show if the head is warped by the presence of a visible gap between the head and cover. Holding a light under the head will easily show any gaps.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #23
sh1bby69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Thanks for the info!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #24
supershaft
because I can

I have never seen non crashed valve covers be off enough to matter. It's always been the heads in my expereince. You can rock a straight edge on top of them if they are warped. They swell up right in the middle where the valve cover stud is. The head/cylinder gasket surface is most often just fine and the valve cover gasket sealing surface can be warped all to hell.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

I agree.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
It depends on how much warp matters. It all adds up. No warp can only be better.

In the last 12 months I've refurbished about eight pairs of valve covers and sold them on Ebay. Some with spirited riding abrasions, some with a fall over scratch.
All of the covers needed the full treatment of coarse to fine paper to achieve a flat surface.
Just my observations.
I only worked on covers with light damage that could be removed by filing to produce almost good as new covers.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #27
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 2,103
Noice Jeff.

Last time I did the valve clearances, the valve cover leaked for a day or so. I wiped it clean, then it stopped. It hasn't leaked since, but the leak moved to the oil pressure switch instead. Damn moving leaks have got a mind of their own!

boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
Noice Jeff.

Last time I did the valve clearances, the valve cover leaked for a day or so. I wiped it clean, then it stopped. It hasn't leaked since, but the leak moved to the oil pressure switch instead. Damn moving leaks have got a mind of their own!

I reckon the ones that leak out the end of the exhaust pipe are the worse
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #29
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy81 View Post
Noice Jeff. Last time I did the valve clearances, the valve cover leaked for a day or so. I wiped it clean, then it stopped. It hasn't leaked since, but the leak moved to the oil pressure switch instead. Damn moving leaks have got a mind of their own!
Sounds like my last girlfriend. Actually sounds like any one of them, ever.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #30
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Sounds like my last girlfriend. Actually sounds like any one of them, ever.
Amen.