User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #16
Bender OP
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 32,269
I'll give it a shot.

I couldn't even get it get a grip in the hole. No matter how hard I hit it, it'd fall as soon as I took the socket away from it. It was laughing at me. Would it be better to use a sledge hammer with a very controlled swing? Seems some extra mass might help it hit home. My big ball peen just had no effect at all.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,379
If it is sticking, you might want to slightly debur the edge of the opening. No need for a larger hammer, just measured taps. One other trick is to use electrical tape and tape the old one to the new one to help keep them lined up. Once it is going in, the tape will come off on its own.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,639
Yep. Easy taps. Make sure the hole is clean and free of ANY gunk.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
cluster148
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Emergency repair of sight plug

Several years ago my sight plug blew out in the middle og nowhere.Nearby auto parts store suggested a 40mm freeze plug as a long term temp repair.Get the concave plug and it's simple to install.Cost 50 cents!
Drill a hole in it and use a hook to remove.
Freeze plug makes it a bit difficult to check your oil....:-)
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
Bender OP
I can pass this guy.

Bought two more of them today. The mechanic suggested I slobber some oil around the edges. No sealant.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
Bender OP
I can pass this guy.

And that was the winning ticket.

I taped the old one to the new one, used the same socket as last time. A film of oil and the thing damn-near installed itself.

I am wondering now if the first replacement was perhaps too big? It would not go into the hole.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #22
Bender OP
I can pass this guy.

First time I hit the freeway, this one blew out. I had the third one with me and installed it with a tent peg and a tire iron. I took the o-ring of the oil filler cap and limped home.

Where is the crankcase vent for this thing? I'm thinking maybe its pinched or clogged.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #23
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
First time I hit the freeway, this one blew out. I had the third one with me and installed it with a tent peg and a tire iron. I took the o-ring of the oil filler cap and limped home.

Where is the crankcase vent for this thing? I'm thinking maybe its pinched or clogged.

Someone finally saw beyond the symptoms...

To the OP: you need to find out WHY the cases pressurized enough to force the old sightglass out of its' hole. Simply putting a new one in doesn't cure the underlying cause, and it wlll happen again.

Fwiw, I've got a 30 year-old aircooled bike with well over 100K on it, and the OEM sightglass is still happily in place. I've known of several others like it whose owners neglected the breather system, and the sightglasses always went walkabout soon after.
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #24
Bender OP
I can pass this guy.

It's my understanding that the stock plastic sight glass will just get so brittle they eventually just let loose without over-pressurizing the crankcase. That is what I thought happened the first time.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #25
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
It's my understanding that the stock plastic sight glass will just get so brittle they eventually just let loose without over-pressurizing the crankcase. That is what I thought happened the first time.
It can for sure. If the second one went in that easily it was likely wrong, defective.

How hard was the third one?

As for the crank case vent, top left side of the motor, under the ABS unit forward of the Bowden Box. Sometimes they git pinched, or there is an obstruction in the air cleaner. Also drain your air cleaner to see if there is oil in it.

Jim
Old 10-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
Bender OP
I can pass this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
It can for sure. If the second one went in that easily it was likely wrong, defective.

As for the crank case vent, top left side of the motor, under the ABS unit forward of the Bowden Box. Sometimes they git pinched, or there is an obstruction in the air cleaner. Also drain your air cleaner to see if there is oil in it.

Jim
The third one went in along side the road. Something I said couldn't be done based on the first one I had.

So how would I know a good one from a bad one?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #27
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,097
how do you drain the oil from the air cleaner

box?

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #28
Bender OP
I can pass this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
box?
I believe there a little squeezie nipple on the bottom of the Airbox that will allow you to drain oil and/or water from it.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #29
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
I believe there a little squeezie nipple on the bottom of the Airbox that will allow you to drain oil and/or water from it.
It is actually a knob on the bottom left side of the airbox towards the rear of the bike at the back of the airbox. It is accessable above the left footpeg. Just turn it about 1/4 turn and it comes off.

Jim
Old 10-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #30
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
The oil cover is a twist lock. From side stand side cover the exhaust. The drain cover is on the underside of the air box, to the rear, LS. It it hasn't been off before it may be very tight. It has an o-ring. Install clean and dry. Spray the exhaust with brake cleaner if any oil drained on it. Lift the tab on the oil filler lid on the L rocker cover. Remove the oil fil base part and clean the o-ring, install dry.

Quote:
First time I hit the freeway, (new) one blew out. I had the third one with me and installed it with a tent peg and a tire iron. I took the o-ring of the oil filler cap and limped home.

Parts price break is 10 quantity for some dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

As for the crank case vent, top left side of the motor, under the ABS unit forward of the Bowden Box. Sometimes they git pinched, or there is an obstruction in the air cleaner. Also drain your air cleaner (box) to see if there is oil in it.

Jim
corrected
The crankcase vent hose can be found on the RS just above the telelever pivot. The actual rotary crankcase vent is in the engine. The 1150 can sometimes be blocked by a mis-installed rear main seal but that should not be a problem on the 1100.
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote