Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #151
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Still waiting on the return of my forks from Teknic, but in the interim here are some pictures of HPM2 which finally made it out of the workshop and escaped to freedom!

Dakar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #152
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,163
Let me be the first to say
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #153
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
Thumb der weisse riese

you wanna hear her, she sounds bloody awesome[

QUOTE=Dakar83;19559482]Still waiting on the return of my forks from Teknic, but in the interim here are some pictures of HPM2 which finally made it out of the workshop and escaped to freedom!

[/QUOTE]
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:32 AM   #154
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,973
A few questions: Have you done any out of town night riding yet, I`m wondering how the lights are? Is one low beam, the other high beam or both together?

How do you find the Mitas E09 Dakar front tire? I really liked the TKC80 on the front of my 1100GS.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia

gsd4me screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 07:51 AM
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #155
poz960
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockyv7 View Post
I think this may be the HPN you saw in the bike shop in Perth, I had a French guy send me this photo of his bike that was being loaded into a container in France heading to Australia. He wanted me to build him some pannier frames and the photo of the bike you have has those frames fitted.

Hello, great job well done.

I just wanted to say that the world is really small because this bike in the photo was my construction of special based on r80 G / S that I sold and sent to an Italian guy living in Australia. The bike was used for a journey on the Silk Road to Italy.
Here you can see pictures of the bike before it sold.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1037528...04398331652482

While here my latest creation

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821996
poz960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #156
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello poz960

Thanks for the comments and yes I believe you are right I think it is the same bike you sold, small world indeed, seeing it at the Perth workshop was my inspiration to pursue this build. I like your projects, very nice indeed.

Hi GSD4ME I have not yet tried out the Lynx lights at night, I am still waiting on the forks to be returned, but I will certainly let you know what they are like. The guy I spoke to at Brittania composites talked me out of the HID high beam for the Lynx saying that compared to standard lighting the Hella units in the Lynx would be significantly better and the HID would not be necessary. So optimistically I wait to see! The fairing is good, I have added a windscreen extension as I am 6'5" it does the job and I can raise or lower the screen in seconds which is great when transitioning from the road to off road, very happy with this config. It also accommodates the Garmin Zumo nicely, I will post some picks when I get the bike back.
As for the Mitas Dakar front tyre so far so good, it corners well, grips well and so far is not noisy. I have Heidenau's for R1200GSA they are great but get noisy as they wear in.

Hey Mike I am not ready for the hydraulic centre stand yet! cheeky bugger ;-)
I can lift the R1200GSA onto its center stand easily so why should I put up with the wrong configuration on the HPM. I think the new Center stand from Swt-De should sort it out.

More to come in a couple of weeks...

Dakar83 screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 07:08 AM
Old 10-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #157
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The forks are back, Teknic ended up fitting WR450 cartridges and 6.5 springs, one side adjustable for rebound the other for compression. The new centre stand has also been fitted and is so much better, it is much easier to operate no more back ache!

I took the HPM down to Kirup and the West Coast Trail Bike Park for the BMW Off Road course this weekend, it was a great 2 days. The park is amazing, 80kms of tracks through blue gum and natural forest. Hills, water, mud, gravel, single track the works. The course was run for BMW by Wayne and Steve from Stay Upright and they did a great job, it was well worth it to me. I would also highly recommend West Coast Trail Bike Safaris, their ride park is fantastic and they run some great organized trail rides through the South West. I came away with better techniques for cornering, braking, hill descents etc and feel a lot more confident and comfortable on loose gravel than before.

I was really happy with how the bike performed, after 2 days solid riding I am loving it's off road ability. I need slightly higher bar risers for comfort standing up and would like to work out how to use the pivot pegz again as they are more comfortable than the SWT set back pegs, but these are small niggles. Once again the bike shined for it's stability, the suspension was significantly better and the rocks and ruts were no problem. The effortless torque and relatively light weight made for a fun and very manageable combination. I now feel that I would be happy to ride the HPM anywhere I would take the DR650

I took my camera to the course but unfortunately I left the memory card behind (in my computer). I hope to get some pictures from some of the others who attended, if it works out I might post some.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #158
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar83 View Post
and would like to work out how to use the pivot pegz again as they are more comfortable than the SWT set back pegs, but these are small niggles.. The effortless torque and relatively light weight made for a fun and very manageable combination.
Sounds like a very good time, hope you are able to get some pics for us. Couldn't agree more on your 'effortless torque and relatively light' comments - I love the way this bike tractors.

You may have already solved this, the way I read your pegz comment but I have taken mine off. One thing I didn't like on this bike is the narrow pegs. Thought I'd go with pivots for wider platform but found they jammed up my size 10 shifter. Am back to oems.

Did you mod to set back further? If yes do tell, if not just a heads up.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #159
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi there Suthern, I tried pivot pegz originally because I use and like them on my DR 650, like you ( I am size 12 shoe) I found the gap between peg and shifter / brake too small. I also found with off road boots especially on the brake side I had trouble fitting my foot between the brake pedal and the carburetor bowl. So the pivots were replaced by lowered set back pegs from SWT

During the 2 days riding at the BMW Off Road course we spent most of the time standing on the pegs and even though the SWT pegs are wider than stock by the end of each day my feet were feeling a bit sore.
Given I also needed to have my side stand modified after changing centre stand and pegs I thought I would ask Frank the fabricator if he could make me some adapters so that I could once again use the Pivot Pegz. This is what he came up with...

The Pegz are mounted back to front, I.e left hand peg on the right side and vice versa, but it works!
The adapters are made out of stainless steel a little heavy but strong.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #160
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,556
Do the pegs still fold back as well as pivot?
If not.
Would the folding function be restored by flipping the adapter left to right?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #161
Dakar83 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Two steps forward one step back!

After performing faultlessly over the 2 days of the off road course I washed the bike down and the next day went for a ride. About 3km from home the engine cut out, It restarted ok but started back firing a little then cut out again. Progressively this worsened until I couldn't ride any further. The bike starts easily and idles well, but when it's rolled off the centre stand or rocked back and forth it cuts out. No more backfiring it runs fine then cuts out as though the kill switch had been activated. As I say after each cut out it starts again fine.

I thought maybe some water had got in where it shouldn't be, fuel is fine, spark is fine so there must be a some electrical fault?
I left the bike for a day hoping it might dry out, but no change so I started checking out the connections. After an hour having checked and tightened all the connections I could think of and emptying both float bowls to make sure there was no water contamination. I try again but no luck. Now I'm stumped, any ideas?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #162
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-oz View Post
[FONT=Arial Black]you wanna hear her, she sounds bloody awesome!
Hey Mike, Is this you?

Old 10-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #163
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,920
Quote:
Two steps forward one step back!

After performing faultlessly over the 2 days of the off road course I washed the bike down and the next day went for a ride. About 3km from home the engine cut out, It restarted ok but started back firing a little then cut out again. Progressively this worsened until I couldn't ride any further. The bike starts easily and idles well, but when it's rolled off the centre stand or rocked back and forth it cuts out. No more backfiring it runs fine then cuts out as though the kill switch had been activated. As I say after each cut out it starts again fine.

I thought maybe some water had got in where it shouldn't be, fuel is fine, spark is fine so there must be a some electrical fault?
I left the bike for a day hoping it might dry out, but no change so I started checking out the connections. After an hour having checked and tightened all the connections I could think of and emptying both float bowls to make sure there was no water contamination. I try again but no luck. Now I'm stumped, any ideas?
ignition related, afterfiring would indicate no spark.
something cuts out when it gets warm, perhaps.
Not sure what ignition system its got, but do you have a spare known working ignition (bean) can to swap in? Or CDI controller, bolted to the bikes backbone? Seems like the problem comes from what is controlling the spark.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #164
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,033
Check for the famous cracked coil.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #165
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 6,973
Quote:
During the 2 days riding at the BMW Off Road course we spent most of the time standing on the pegs and even though the SWT pegs are wider than stock by the end of each day my feet were feeling a bit sore.

Maybe your boots aren`t quite up to snuff. I did a BMW course some years ago with Simon Pavey (name drop) and Wayne Clarke as instructors. The bikes were 650 Dakars and had the standard narrow foot pegs; I wore BMW road boots. After two days of standing on the pegs my legs were pretty sore as well, so when I got home I bought some strong adventure boots and fitted wider Fastway pegs to my 1100GS. With the lower Fastways and handlebar risers I could ride standing up for many kilometres if I needed to with no ill effects.

18 Months after the first course, I did the trail bike course on an Xchallenge. They had wider pegs as standard and with my stronger boots, I had no trouble standing on the pegs for the two day course. As soon as the bike got moving, we had to stand up and were yelled at if we weren`t.

A mate of mine uses Pivot Pegs with the centreing (is that a word?) spring removed and claims it is more comfortable.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote