User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
HairBear OP
I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer: 753
Wee Jaunt 2012 Allegheny NF

Sat 29th - Last minute beer Friday night had me last minute packing Saturday morning. The soft luggage on the 08 KLR was filled up. My big yellow bag was strapped on & I rolled out after 10. Which was pretty much on time.

The temp was not quite 50, but the liner in my Transition two did its job for the first 30 min or so. After I got through Carnegie & my speed picked up I could definitely feel the cold seeping in.
I got to my brothers & he was pretty much packed up & ready to go. It took us a few minutes to get the headsets (Sena Bluetooth) to sink up. This would be the first trip for his S10.

My butts desire to take a break from the stock seat coincided with this scenic overlook.

As we pulled into the lot an older gentleman looked at us an did some sort of grabbing his head motion as he walked away. As we enjoyed the scenery I asked,
"Do you know what that head grabbing thing was about?"
"I think he was saying he approved of our wearing helmets."
I think that's the first time a stranger has acknowledged, in a positive way, the wearing of gear. Normally it's more of a, "You're not going to wear all of that are you?"
Let me add at this point, as you have probably noticed, I am not a great photographer. I like taking photos. Unfortunately enjoying something does not equate to skill.
A quick stop for something to eat.

I like Arby's. It's different than standard fast food & the place is usually empty. I don't know why. Is it because they cost a little more or when people think FF they think burger?
Picture on the move.

My brother has the GPS. So I often don't know where I am. Consequently, I don’t know where many of the pictures are taken.
We arrived at our destination. Home for the next two nights.

Cook forest state park Indian cabins. These turned out to be nicer than I thought. They not only had electric & heat, but had a stove & frig as well. The restrooms were nice as well. 4 large individual bathrooms with showers.
After we dumped the stuff off the bikes we thought we'd head out for a couple little loops I had found on the maps. First, we headed up Firetower rd. where we were hoping to get cell service.

It was a chilly night & with the clouds you would never know there was a full moon. We turned up the heat made some tea & popped a DVD in the laptop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Bqp99-qJI

HairBear screwed with this post 10-06-2012 at 03:52 PM Reason: clarification
HairBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
BadKarmaPa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Where's the action shots?
You know we never take enought pics. Guess we'll need to keep doing these trips until we learn to document properly
"A man could do worse than be a swinger of birches" Robert Frost
BadKarmaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
HairBear OP
I'm a Grandpa

I'll have you know I took plenty of pictures, brother. Unfortunately 75% of them always turn out crap

Day 2 started at a chilly 36 degrees, but we weren't in a hurry & it would warm up to the mid 40s before we headed out. But not before a breakfast of champions.

We had no specific goal, but I did want one pic. We hit some good roads as we headed in a NNW direction. Took this shot where The Branch Rd (T345) meets 666 near Kellettville.

After this it was wherever as a destination.
"Well the light isn't on yet, but should probably look for gas."
GPS gave us some options. Headed for the closest one. I believe 10miles. Keep in mind this ain't the city & it's around noon on a Sunday. First two had antique looking pumps (the 2nd was in Tionesta) & were closed. Third time was a charm. Fuel for the bikes & a little for the riders & back to the ANF. The day was spent on forest service roads (on the GPS) and gas company roads (not on the GPS)

This may look like a friendly little hill. The leaves in the tracks disguised a very rocky surface & that nice grassy high spot...crazy slippery. So it was alot of fun

A lot of not on the GPS. Problem was these roads would typically go out past 2 or 3 wells & then dead end at a well.

They were fun since they were not as well maintained. So we decided to enjoy them instead of annoyed at the out & back. We did succeed in getting the bikes dirty.

We did run into a few closed gates. However, there were several gates open. There was a sign posted that stated they were open from Oct. 27th thru Jan. something. So if we had made this trip a week sooner we would have been out of luck. We tried a few grassy trails maybe quad wide. This resulted in my cohort having to U turn that behemoth. It was hard enough with the KLR, & I can easily flat foot my bike.

We got back to Cook Forest around 5:30. It was now deserted since the weekenders had left.

We had our Mountain house meals (teriyaki chicken w/ rice was good) relaxed & called it an early evening. Tomorrow (Monday) was head home day.
Don't have any pictures from the ride home. We had the GPS set to avoid highways & not to avoid unpaved. Some of the waypoints & towns we passed through, Shippenville, Emlenton, Chicora, Gibsonia. This gave us a really nice ride home! One road of particular note was Campbell. It wasn't long enough, but it was... Lay the bike over one way then up & over on the other side, back & forth with little or no upright time between. I heard the laughing & exclamations from the headset & responded with my own as I followed him along this twisted snake. Every ride on the bike is a good ride, but then you have the moments of true joy & magic. This was one of those.......
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
BadKarmaPa
Gnarly Adventurer

Allegheny National Forest is a great place to get away for a long weekend, hone your off pavement skills, and get to know your machine and equipment.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #5
asfault
Non-normative

Oddometer: 109
Thanks for the RR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairBear View Post
Problem was these roads would typically go out past 2 or 3 wells & then dead end at a well. They were fun since they were not as well maintained. So we decided to enjoy them instead of annoyed at the out & back.
Yes. I've changed my thinking to regard a dead end as a loop that is squished together. And on a two-track, it is technically still a loop if you ride one track out and the other back. The ride is different in each direction anyway. If you're not trying to get someplace in particular, the saddle time is a joy whether the road goes through or not.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
BadKarmaPa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfault View Post
Thanks for the RR!

Yes. I've changed my thinking to regard a dead end as a loop that is squished together. And on a two-track, it is technically still a loop if you ride one track out and the other back. The ride is different in each direction anyway. If you're not trying to get someplace in particular, the saddle time is a joy whether the road goes through or not.
+1
That loose rocky slippery hill that was a technical challenge to get down is a completely differnt technical challenge to get back up :)
Old 10-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #7
HairBear OP
I'm a Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfault View Post
Thanks for the RR!

I guess I expected one road to lead to another & another & another. If we had just stuck to the roads that showed up on the GPS we probably could have done that. Of course we would have missed alot of fun riding. Since I knew those 2 woops were there going in I wacked the throttle on the way out & the KLR wheels left the ground for the first time!

Thanks for reading. This is my first attempt at a RR & after reading some great ones it is a bit intimidating.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
BadKarmaPa
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairBear View Post
Thanks for reading. This is my first attempt at a RR & after reading some great ones it is a bit intimidating.
Well bro, you know you just elected yourself lead documentarian of all future trips?
We really do need to get better at picture taken. There were soo many places we should have stopped and gone back over for pics. Like that hill with the whoops and that rocky slippery rear wheel spinning ass end bouncing all over hill