User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Flat Rear Tire

Got my second flat rear tire in 11,000 miles and as before re-installing the wheel is a PITA. Almost impossible to do by your self, especiallly if you're in some back road area in the dirt. Both times the only way to get the wheel on was to remove one brake pad and limp home with just the front brake. Found out that on my rear caliper, the floating pins that compensate for pad ware were rusty and made adjusting the caliper to fit the rotor very difficult. Spent some time this morning oiling them to get them sliding smooth.
Still mounting that wheel by yourself is a big PITA. Anyone have a tip on how this is done to make it easier for one person to mount the wheel?
I can get the wheel off, change the tube, air it up, but getting it back on it's a %^&*$< *&^%#) in the ass. Not enough arms and hands.

LaPorte
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
3Rrr
Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer: 174
Tire iron spread

I've had my rear wheel off numerous times. One thing I do is spread the pads apart with the tire iron. This makes the install quicker. To be honest I don't remember having an issue getting the wheel on.

Typically, I sit on the ground and prop the wheel up with my legs to align the axle hole. Hope this is the missing piece that makes it easy in the field, or garage.
03 TTR 225
89 Kat GSX600F
3Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE= To be honest I don't remember having an issue getting the wheel on.

Typically, I sit on the ground and prop the wheel up with my legs to align the axle hole. Hope this is the missing piece that makes it easy in the field, or garage.[/QUOTE]

Ya that's what I do. Wish you lived near me, be worth a six pack or two to watch you put on my wheel by yourself. I think I need to increase the distance between the swing arm ends by a 1mm. The spacers keep getting caught on the swing arm end or the caliper end where the axel goes through. By the time I get the wheel almost in place the brake pads fall out of place and I need to start all over again. Reminds me of a KLR I once had.

LaPorte
Old 10-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
You're definitely doing something wrong.
You do have to keep the wheel pretty straight as it goes in, or the RH (sprocket side) spacer catches on the swing arm and comes out.
Should take about 30 sec.
Do it a few times as practice and I'm sure it will come to you.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
TheCowboy
back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 605
I have changed my rear tire by myself at least 10 times. The hard part is to get the right side spacer up and into the swing arm. First off, I have happy Trail aluminum panniers... So I just lay the bike down on its right side, the wheel is totally accessible and have at it. The trick to getting the rotor back between the pads is to force the brake puck back up in the caliper using a tire iron, then you got plenty of room. I've really had no problems. Good luck.

TheCowboy
TheCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
One other trick for the brake pads is to push on the side of the caliper before removing the wheel. No need to stick anything in between the pads to pry them apart. I did it this way when I changed my rear tire twice on my trip to Alaska.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks all for your responses.
The problem I am have is trying to keep the brake caliper still and up tight against the swing arm so i can slide the wheel spaces between the swing arm end/brake caliper and the rotor between the brake pads. I need one hand to hold the brake rotor still and two hands to lift the rear wheel into place. Thats three hands. If somehow the brake rotor could be held in place then it wouldn't be so bad for me.
I am not new at this, I have been riding for 40+ years and have changed many tires. But this set up is not good. I will figure out something.

Thanks again

LaPorte

LaPorte screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 06:54 PM
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
If you have ABS it helps a lot to take the ABS speed sensor pickup loose. The rotor wants to hang on it. Other than that the right side spacer is a little bit of a pain but no worse than any other wheel I have changed.

GL1800
FZ-1 For sale
Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #9
shrek2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Did you get a flat on our group ride? saw you leave after lunch.

Dave
shrek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek2 View Post
Did you get a flat on our group ride? saw you leave after lunch.

Dave
Hi Dave
Yes I did, How was the rest of your ride? I wanted to go home and watch the 49er game so I left after lunch. Picked up a piece of metal at Uvas Dam on the way home. To make matters worst I didn't have anything to put air back in the tire after I changed the tube. Met some very nice people who gave me a hand. Next day I went to Zoom and picked up a new tube and CO2 bottles and the little dodad to re-inflate the tire. That makes two rear flat's in 11,000 miles on the BMW.

Tony
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte View Post
Got my second flat rear tire in 11,000 miles and as before re-installing the wheel is a PITA. Almost impossible to do by your self,
Did you ever try using both hands?

Honestly i did that several time and even the first one was no problem! There must be a point you are missing!

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapadu View Post
Did you ever try using both hands?

Honestly i did that several time and even the first one was no problem! There must be a point you are missing!
Only time I ever had a problem I had pulled the sprocket carrier out of the rubber hub pieces (bike was new) and it was a PITA to get it seated again.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
if you need a third hand, get you some safety wire or a zip tie, you can use it to hold "things" were you want them and then simply clip them with a wire cutter when you are done.
Another little tip, have a bladed thin somewhat long screwdriver handy when you lift the wheel, you can use it to pry the swing arm enough to get the wheel in, works for me..
good luck,
and if all else fails.........get a bigger hammer!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,759
I feel for you and you are not the only one that finds putting the rear back on can be a real bitch. There have been a cple other discussions on here about it.
There definitely must be some secret but I haven't found it. On 1 occasion it took 2 f8 owners and a crow bar to get mine back on.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #15
LaPorte OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I said I was thinking on how to mount the rear tire. Well I made some heplers. My third hand to hold the caliper in place. Made them out of wood. Three pieces and a long Zip Tie. Just mounted my rear tire alone and did it in under 1 minute. First try. If I new how to post pictures I would post pictures of the tools. Pretty simple when you think about it. Now I am not worried about riding alone and getting a flat on the rear then struggling to re-mount the wheel.

LaPorte