User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
Bluethumb OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Can 280W handle heated gear?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a heated jacket liner from Warm and Safe along with a remote "heat troller". I'm going with the Generation 3 jacket which draws 90W.

Is this going to be a problem with the 280W charging system on my '84 R80ST?

My plan is to turn it off when going through stop and go traffic as well as turn it off well before I exit the hiway to gas up.

I also have a question about heat-trollers. My only experience with heated clothing is an old BMW electric vest that plugged into the power socket and had an on-off rocker switch. With the heat-troller, does it draw less watts at lower settings?

I also don't quite see how to mount it. I assume the power source for the liner mounts to the battery terminals, the liner plugs into the pigtails, and I can mount the remote heat-troller on the handlebars or dash?

Last, I've never used heated gloves and want to buy a pair of Warm and Safe. How hard is it to plug the gloves into the pigtails at the ends of the sleeves of the liner? I'll be wearing the liner under an Aerostich and it seems to me that running the pigtails out the ends of the Aerostich and trying to plug them into the gloves would be damn hard.

Am I asking too much of my charging system to have both a liner and gloves? I don't have heated grips, obviously.
Bluethumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluethumb View Post
I also have a question about heat-trollers. My only experience with heated clothing is an old BMW electric vest that plugged into the power socket and had an on-off rocker switch. With the heat-troller, does it draw less watts at lower settings?
The newer "smart" heat-trollers just turn the heat on and off over and over, so in reality the jacket is only really drawing current half (or less) of the time. The older ones just used a resistor and drew constant current. I'd say your limit is the jacket and even that would be marginal. Gloves would be pushing it. A smart heatroller would cut that load down a bit though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,449
yes
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,662
I use a heated vest all the time with my virtually stock charging systems. No problems whatsoever. . . . But I just use a vest. I think any more would be pushing it.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
pkboxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Maybe??

I have been running the Aerostich "warmbib" 30W and heated grips 35W (on high) together for a couple of years.

No issues as of yet, when idleing in town, I kill the head light until I'm tached back up.

I have heard that the more you push the system, the sooner it may fail, but so far so good.
pkboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 949
You might consider adding some form of voltmeter just to be safe...look in the Rider Warehouse site for options..

Especially helpful if riding at night with high beams, heated stuff..watch the number and if it starts to fall below 10..go to low beam or turn the heated stuff off until the number goes above 13 again.
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
R100RT Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I use Gerbing’s microwire jacket liner and T5 gloves connected through a dual temp-controller on my 1993 R100R and my 1994 R100RT, both of which have stock charging systems. The dual digital controller means you only draw much power as needed to keep cozy with independent heating levels for the jacket and gloves. The stock systems seem to cope OK, but I keep any eye on my voltmeters. I prefer the jacket liner to the vest liner type as it seems one of the coldest spots, even when riding on the RT, is due to wind rush on my upper arms. I also prefer using heated gloves over the stock heated grips. Seem to draw much less power and there’s no need to keep juggling fingers and thumbs around on the grips to meter out the heat to each digit.

Current - '74 TR5T : '93 R100R : '06 ST3s
Past - Variety of British, French, Italian, Czechoslovakian, and German bikes from the '70s, '80s and '90s
R100RT Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
daveoneshot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Never any problems with my Gerbings vest....usually I shut it off when going through town or slow traffic.
daveoneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
Martian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
I've used my Gerbings jacket and gloves (old style) on several stock '93 airhead charging systems without any problem. Keep the RPM's around 3500 or above. I don't use the highbeam, but I don't ride at night, either.

Remember, watt and amp ratings are measured over a one hour duration. Short periods spent at a light or going through towns don't suddenly empty the battery.
'93 R100GSPD(sold)
http://frommars.smugmug.com
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
misnomer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Echoing everybody else here - you shouldn't have issues. I have been using an Aerostich jacket (~70w) and a pair of Gerbings G3 gloves without issue on my stock '94. If you're cautious about your time idling and time between using the starter you shouldn't have any issues at all.
misnomer is offline   Reply With Quote