Oddometer: 21
Loving the adventure.
Sgt93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #632
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Had the bike loaded into the Ferry at 8:59 and was off:

Met up with Tricklidz and his gal Mary on the way down to Long Island. He's got a few workshops for his stable of Ducatis (my apologies for the terrible pictures) and they rode in a series of motorcycle documentaries for 4? years I think.

This is probably a good time to write about the biggest difference between my former 'normal' life and the one I'm living. On two days notice I spend a week in solitude in a remote part of an island in a beautiful house that wasn't mine. Then I get on and off a ferry, cruise down a highway in an unfamiliar part of the US on roads I've never seen before, hurling through cities I've never heard of. I arrive in a charming, near-perfect little town where people smile and wave. And then I'm sitting on a comfortable and relaxing porch, gear strewn about, laughing and having lunch and a great time with two people I've never met, but instantly feel like I've known for years. It's fucking weird this trip. Weird and awesome. It's almost like having amnesia--the conversation, the familiarity without any prior memories. But it all just works. Thanks Steve and Mary!
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #633
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,521
love the RR! wonderful people and wonderful riding, stay out as long as you can. you're not missing anything.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #634
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
I'm kind of disappointed in those last 2 pictures.....would of really loved to see that ducati garage.... lol

Keep up the great RR.
It just keeps on getting me more and more motivated for my ride next year.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #635
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
I'm kind of disappointed in those last 2 pictures.....would of really loved to see that ducati garage.... lol

Keep up the great RR.
It just keeps on getting me more and more motivated for my ride next year.
Thanks

:)
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #636
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #637
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

A couple of people have sent me a recent news story on Detroit.

"The Detroit Police is admitting that they are grossly understaffed and can no longer keep the city safe. In fact, they are actaully warning people that they believe the city has become too dangerous to enter. The Detroit Police Department would like the public know that the explosion in violent crime has turned the city into a war zone that they can no longer police. Their “Enter At Your Own Risk” rally was meant to inform the public that the officers have become fearful for their own lives, which they blame on an epidemic level of violence caused by budget cuts and a grossly understaffed police force.

Detroit has become one of the most dangerous cities in the world with one of the highest homicide rates in the country. (Flint is actually #1 by a small margin.)

Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #638
Bigolechalupa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
wow....

Now that is some scary shit.

Now check out the Detroit tourism site. .....http://www.visitdetroit.com/ Come to Detroit!!
Bigolechalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #639
infresig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Welcome Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Congrats and welcome to New York! I've been reading from the beginning and remember when New York seemed pretty far away. If (or when) you come down to the city, let me know if I can be helpful with suggestions for places to eat, stay or visit. Also, FYI, there's a bike night on the west side of Manhattan every Tuesday night. I would also be happy to show you some of the roads in the area if you're interested in venturing out.

Btw, I really enjoyed the pics from MV. I was there for a wedding a few years ago and couldn't resist renting a scooter. It was a lot of fun, but didn't keep me from looking on with intense envy at all the motorbikes coming off the ferry. I've fantasized ever since about returning with a sportbike to take advantage of all those great roads.
infresig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #640
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
...his stable of Ducatis...AntiHero
I've always been a big fan of the Paso, and considered getting a 906.

Don't know why I like orphans so much.

You should write a book on this trip when you're done. You write as well as Peart.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #641
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

The northern part of Long Island was cool. Reminded me of a flatter, more open version of Martha's Vineyard.

Hit a lot of traffic coming down, but finally made it to my new home for the next ??? days. Fireworks in the background must be a good omen of things to come.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #642
Bráulio Biker
Brazilian Adventure

Oddometer: 10
AntiHero,

I spent the last two weeks reading your RR and loved it!

It's hard to say how much your RR captivated me, even if I could write you in Portuguese. Your trip isn't so different from the ones I used to do here in Brazil. At least in terms of "no-ideal-bike for a long trip" and "no planning at all".

As someone has already said, your RR can be named as "LR" (Life Report). Your writing style is amazing and I think you could produce not only one, but two books: one about the story of the trip and the other one made only with the photos.

I root for your health.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #643
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

The day was just surreal. I woke up knowing stress awaited. Had to get my ass off of MV, make sure the house was perfect, pack/load my gear, rush to a new ferry location, (shit, petrol light now?), ticket, board, unboard, etc. etc. And then I'm welcomed like family into a stranger's home who immediately aren't strangers at all, then it's off again....board another ferry, repeat. And then I arrive where I need to be 11 hours after I left, cold and starving (thank god for Mary feeding me in MA!). Only arriving where I needed to be wasn't precise enough and I couldn't access my email A half mile of boats and docks is not easy to navigate in the dark while carrying a bunch of gear.

I was pointed in the direction I needed to be by a drunken, gruff, but very friendly, (it's NY, not CA, where everyone freaks out if a stranger talks to them) sailor carrying a bag of trash. The pictures below paint the picture, but what is lacking is what's going through my mind. I think it needs a neologism. The definition would be:

noun
1. ease of mind after exertion or labor
2. relief when exposed to anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs
3. spiritual or mental tranquility, despite the conditions that led to it

asequence (ah SEE qwee ens) would make sense - arriving at a peaceful location or mental state despite the stressful, antagonistic conditions encountered or required to get there.

AntiHero screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 02:06 PM
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #644
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,950
wait from a sweet pad on MV to a luxury yacht on LI...hmmm life certainly appears to be going a-ok
Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #645
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
wait from a sweet pad on MV to a luxury yacht on LI...hmmm life certainly appears to be going a-ok

(AntiHero whistles innocently.)

_

AntiHero screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 08:02 PM