ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #31
thetourist
Just passing thru
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,882
Need some reading material and some pics.

Check the Baja link in my sig. 20+ bikes from the NW to Baja in March. A flock of routes and types of riders.

We had an excellent time. Baja is good even if all paved. Take some fruit to Coco. Tell Nano Fong I said hi.
__________________
thetourist
The gate guard glares at me. "It's after curfew." He looks me up and down, "What do you think you are, some kind of ****** tourist?" ..Phu Loi 1969
My Idaho =7893
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #32
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...
 
DaFoole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: BFE, SW Oregon/SF BayO'rea
Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post
Need some reading material and some pics.

Check the Baja link in my sig. 20+ bikes from the NW to Baja in March. A flock of routes and types of riders.

We had an excellent time. Baja is good even if all paved. Take some fruit to Coco. Tell Nano Fong I said hi.
Sweet! Thanks!!
__________________
"...when I handed the 40 ouncer to him, he got that far off stare that a cat gets when it just gets done licking its ass for the last 15". Yeah, THAT stare." -WTF-Over
"Don't come in here with your thoughtfulness, empathy, and reason... this is shit, up with which, I shall not put." -Boondoggle
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #33
V@lentino
Inspektor
 
V@lentino's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vankouver
Oddometer: 815
Insurance quote

This is the quote I received from DiscoverBaja for 2008 GSA Canadian citizen with ongoing provincial coverage.

The premium would be: $291.86
Deductible for damage: $500 and deductible for total loss: $ 1000
Liability: $ 70K
Legal aid and bail bond $ 20K
Road assistance: $ 300 dlls

Nothing for rider and pillion, but I already have Insurance for accident/sickness/hospitalization, plus emerg evac with the Global Star (SPOT) policy. So no need for anything else than above.

This is for a year, I think it's a bit high, but It looks like shorter term policies are even more expensive. Mexadventure gives various instant quotes between 380.00 and 514.00, depending on deductible and liability amount and hospitalization for rider and pillion.

Those are US companies, I wonder if I would get a significantly better price if I get the insurance from a Mexican vendor after crossing the border.

Saying this I know the nature of insurance, so will likely not need it, and paying more does not necessarily mean a better policy.

I also plan on to leave for Argentina around Sept-Oct 2013, and will go through Mexico again, so a year policy would actually make sense.

Just wondering what others have done in the recent past.

???
__________________
FEAR ===> False Expectation About Reality. GSA08
Work is just the time you have to spend between rides.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #34
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...
 
DaFoole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: BFE, SW Oregon/SF BayO'rea
Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
This is the quote I received from DiscoverBaja for 2008 GSA Canadian citizen with ongoing provincial coverage.

The premium would be: $291.86
Deductible for damage: $500 and deductible for total loss: $ 1000
Liability: $ 70K
Legal aid and bail bond $ 20K
Road assistance: $ 300 dlls

Nothing for rider and pillion, but I already have Insurance for accident/sickness/hospitalization, plus emerg evac with the Global Star (SPOT) policy. So no need for anything else than above.

This is for a year, I think it's a bit high, but It looks like shorter term policies are even more expensive. Mexadventure gives various instant quotes between 380.00 and 514.00, depending on deductible and liability amount and hospitalization for rider and pillion.

Those are US companies, I wonder if I would get a significantly better price if I get the insurance from a Mexican vendor after crossing the border.

Saying this I know the nature of insurance, so will likely not need it, and paying more does not necessarily mean a better policy.

I also plan on to leave for Argentina around Sept-Oct 2013, and will go through Mexico again, so a year policy would actually make sense.

Just wondering what others have done in the recent past.

???
The ones I've tried won't even give me a quote until it's less than 6 mos.....
__________________
"...when I handed the 40 ouncer to him, he got that far off stare that a cat gets when it just gets done licking its ass for the last 15". Yeah, THAT stare." -WTF-Over
"Don't come in here with your thoughtfulness, empathy, and reason... this is shit, up with which, I shall not put." -Boondoggle
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #35
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...
 
DaFoole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: BFE, SW Oregon/SF BayO'rea
Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post
Need some reading material and some pics.

Check the Baja link in my sig. 20+ bikes from the NW to Baja in March. A flock of routes and types of riders.

We had an excellent time. Baja is good even if all paved. Take some fruit to Coco. Tell Nano Fong I said hi.

I LIKE your style. Mellow and plowing on through!!!

Bonus....old/slow guy....MY style!!! Excellent!!

__________________
"...when I handed the 40 ouncer to him, he got that far off stare that a cat gets when it just gets done licking its ass for the last 15". Yeah, THAT stare." -WTF-Over
"Don't come in here with your thoughtfulness, empathy, and reason... this is shit, up with which, I shall not put." -Boondoggle
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #36
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...
 
DaFoole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: BFE, SW Oregon/SF BayO'rea
Oddometer: 4,007
Probably mentioned before....about a million times...but these links are GREAT!!!!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/index.php


http://www.allaboutbaja.com/


Been perusing and learning LOTs. Both recommended!!!!


__________________
"...when I handed the 40 ouncer to him, he got that far off stare that a cat gets when it just gets done licking its ass for the last 15". Yeah, THAT stare." -WTF-Over
"Don't come in here with your thoughtfulness, empathy, and reason... this is shit, up with which, I shall not put." -Boondoggle
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #37
craig haggart
Old guy having fun!
 
craig haggart's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Oddometer: 99
Hola Senior DaFoole! I did a short jaunt to Baja from the Bay Area last year and posted a ride report here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689604

It's an awfully long report for such a short, easy trip, but I made sure to put as much useful info as possible into the summary at the beginning for anyone considering a similar trip. Hope something in it is helpful to you. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
__________________
Craig Haggart
Sunnyvale, California
craig.haggart@yahoo.com
'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness' - Mark Twain
craig haggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #38
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...
 
DaFoole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: BFE, SW Oregon/SF BayO'rea
Oddometer: 4,007
Thanks!!

Will peruse and send you any questions!

__________________
"...when I handed the 40 ouncer to him, he got that far off stare that a cat gets when it just gets done licking its ass for the last 15". Yeah, THAT stare." -WTF-Over
"Don't come in here with your thoughtfulness, empathy, and reason... this is shit, up with which, I shall not put." -Boondoggle
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #39
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,663
We found Loreto quite nice. Camped on a beach called Playa Coyote just south of Mulege for 2 nights as well. There is a guy from Colorado named Mark that camps at that beach every year. Each morning a pick up truck with 2 ladies comes by selling Tamales and Empanadas. Then the truck with the guy selling fresh fruit and fire wood comes by.

Also recomend going to Bahia de Asuncion on the west coast and renting a casista from Sheri.
http://m.facebook.com/Asuncioninfo?i...ser=1584781339
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #40
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer
 
Baja Ho's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
Oddometer: 752
Don't forget Mission San Javier, out of Loreto. It is paved most of the way now with some gravel road toward the end. DaFoole, if you make it to Cabo send me a pm, I should still be down there at that time and I will buy you guy's a cerveza. Dan
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #41
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ADV Fool's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Plumas Lake, CA
Oddometer: 449
+1

If time permits, San Javier Mission is a great ride and really not that far. I was there last month really wishing I was on my bike! The ride to and from would be a ton of fun.
__________________
'Grand Fool' for the 'Group of Fools'
Old Fat Fart
2014 BMW R1200 GSA LC
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #42
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...
 
DaFoole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: BFE, SW Oregon/SF BayO'rea
Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
We found Loreto quite nice. Camped on a beach called Playa Coyote just south of Mulege for 2 nights as well. There is a guy from Colorado named Mark that camps at that beach every year. Each morning a pick up truck with 2 ladies comes by selling Tamales and Empanadas. Then the truck with the guy selling fresh fruit and fire wood comes by.

Had planned on Loreto....this seals the deal!!!

Also recomend going to Bahia de Asuncion on the west coast and renting a casista from Sheri.
http://m.facebook.com/Asuncioninfo?i...ser=1584781339
Now I guess I gotta join facebook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Ho View Post
Don't forget Mission San Javier, out of Loreto. It is paved most of the way now with some gravel road toward the end. DaFoole, if you make it to Cabo send me a pm, I should still be down there at that time and I will buy you guy's a cerveza. Dan
You, sir, are on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV Fool View Post
If time permits, San Javier Mission is a great ride and really not that far. I was there last month really wishing I was on my bike! The ride to and from would be a ton of fun.
Looks like the mission will be on the agenda!
__________________
"...when I handed the 40 ouncer to him, he got that far off stare that a cat gets when it just gets done licking its ass for the last 15". Yeah, THAT stare." -WTF-Over
"Don't come in here with your thoughtfulness, empathy, and reason... this is shit, up with which, I shall not put." -Boondoggle
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #43
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy
 
muddyrabbit's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Fugawee Land.
Oddometer: 3,663
In Loreto the Hotel Plaza Loreto has nice, clean, $51/night rooms with 2 beds. They also have a 24 hour front desk so you bikes are safe on the street, and they did let us put ours in the courtyard at night.


http://www.loreto.com/hotelplaza/index.htm

It's walking distance to most everything, a little family owned coffee shop is a couple doors east, and a bitchin hot dog stand is about a block west. Also only a couple blocks from the historic mission and old town square.

I recommend Baja Bound Insurance. After you enter your info they give you a nice chart of policies from several carriers that are easy to compare.

I HIGHLY recommend contacting Shari in Asuncion. She has several rentals, plus she arranges whale tours, and they have their own fishing boats if you would like to do some ocean fishing. You should be able to view her contact info on the fb page without signing up.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #44
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...
 
DaFoole's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: BFE, SW Oregon/SF BayO'rea
Oddometer: 4,007
GREAT info!!


Thanks mang!!
__________________
"...when I handed the 40 ouncer to him, he got that far off stare that a cat gets when it just gets done licking its ass for the last 15". Yeah, THAT stare." -WTF-Over
"Don't come in here with your thoughtfulness, empathy, and reason... this is shit, up with which, I shall not put." -Boondoggle
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #45
rides2little
Posts2Little
 
rides2little's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Lost in Utardia
Oddometer: 220
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836653

See the ride report for current (almost 1 month old now) photos and some info that might be helpful. There wasn't a part of the El Compadre road that would be an issue on bigger bikes at all.

Also, I found another place for the Baja Almanac. http://www.bajabooksandmaps.com/
rides2little is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014