Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #31
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,882
Need some reading material and some pics.

Check the Baja link in my sig. 20+ bikes from the NW to Baja in March. A flock of routes and types of riders.

We had an excellent time. Baja is good even if all paved. Take some fruit to Coco. Tell Nano Fong I said hi.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #32
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post

Check the Baja link in my sig. 20+ bikes from the NW to Baja in March. A flock of routes and types of riders.

We had an excellent time. Baja is good even if all paved. Take some fruit to Coco. Tell Nano Fong I said hi.
Sweet! Thanks!!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 PM   #33
V@lentino
Inspektor

Oddometer: 815
Insurance quote

This is the quote I received from DiscoverBaja for 2008 GSA Canadian citizen with ongoing provincial coverage.

The premium would be: $291.86
Deductible for damage: $500 and deductible for total loss: $ 1000
Liability: $ 70K
Legal aid and bail bond $ 20K
Road assistance: $ 300 dlls

Nothing for rider and pillion, but I already have Insurance for accident/sickness/hospitalization, plus emerg evac with the Global Star (SPOT) policy. So no need for anything else than above.

This is for a year, I think it's a bit high, but It looks like shorter term policies are even more expensive. Mexadventure gives various instant quotes between 380.00 and 514.00, depending on deductible and liability amount and hospitalization for rider and pillion.

Those are US companies, I wonder if I would get a significantly better price if I get the insurance from a Mexican vendor after crossing the border.

Saying this I know the nature of insurance, so will likely not need it, and paying more does not necessarily mean a better policy.

I also plan on to leave for Argentina around Sept-Oct 2013, and will go through Mexico again, so a year policy would actually make sense.

Just wondering what others have done in the recent past.

???

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #34
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_elite View Post
This is the quote I received from DiscoverBaja for 2008 GSA Canadian citizen with ongoing provincial coverage.

The premium would be: $291.86
Deductible for damage: $500 and deductible for total loss: $ 1000
Liability: $ 70K
Legal aid and bail bond $ 20K
Road assistance: $ 300 dlls

Nothing for rider and pillion, but I already have Insurance for accident/sickness/hospitalization, plus emerg evac with the Global Star (SPOT) policy. So no need for anything else than above.

This is for a year, I think it's a bit high, but It looks like shorter term policies are even more expensive. Mexadventure gives various instant quotes between 380.00 and 514.00, depending on deductible and liability amount and hospitalization for rider and pillion.

Those are US companies, I wonder if I would get a significantly better price if I get the insurance from a Mexican vendor after crossing the border.

Saying this I know the nature of insurance, so will likely not need it, and paying more does not necessarily mean a better policy.

I also plan on to leave for Argentina around Sept-Oct 2013, and will go through Mexico again, so a year policy would actually make sense.

Just wondering what others have done in the recent past.

???
The ones I've tried won't even give me a quote until it's less than 6 mos.....
Old 08-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #35
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post

I LIKE your style. Mellow and plowing on through!!!

Bonus....old/slow guy....MY style!!! Excellent!!

Old 09-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #36
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Probably mentioned before....about a million times...but these links are GREAT!!!!

http://forums.bajanomad.com/index.php

http://www.allaboutbaja.com/

Been perusing and learning LOTs. Both recommended!!!!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #37
craig haggart
Old guy having fun!

Oddometer: 99
Hola Senior DaFoole! I did a short jaunt to Baja from the Bay Area last year and posted a ride report here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689604

It's an awfully long report for such a short, easy trip, but I made sure to put as much useful info as possible into the summary at the beginning for anyone considering a similar trip. Hope something in it is helpful to you. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness' - Mark Twain
craig haggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #38
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Thanks!!

Will peruse and send you any questions!

Old 10-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #39
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,663
We found Loreto quite nice. Camped on a beach called Playa Coyote just south of Mulege for 2 nights as well. There is a guy from Colorado named Mark that camps at that beach every year. Each morning a pick up truck with 2 ladies comes by selling Tamales and Empanadas. Then the truck with the guy selling fresh fruit and fire wood comes by.

Also recomend going to Bahia de Asuncion on the west coast and renting a casista from Sheri.
http://m.facebook.com/Asuncioninfo?i...ser=1584781339
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #40
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Don't forget Mission San Javier, out of Loreto. It is paved most of the way now with some gravel road toward the end. DaFoole, if you make it to Cabo send me a pm, I should still be down there at that time and I will buy you guy's a cerveza. Dan
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #41
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
+1

If time permits, San Javier Mission is a great ride and really not that far. I was there last month really wishing I was on my bike! The ride to and from would be a ton of fun.
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #42
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
We found Loreto quite nice. Camped on a beach called Playa Coyote just south of Mulege for 2 nights as well. There is a guy from Colorado named Mark that camps at that beach every year. Each morning a pick up truck with 2 ladies comes by selling Tamales and Empanadas. Then the truck with the guy selling fresh fruit and fire wood comes by.

Had planned on Loreto....this seals the deal!!!

Also recomend going to Bahia de Asuncion on the west coast and renting a casista from Sheri.
http://m.facebook.com/Asuncioninfo?i...ser=1584781339
Now I guess I gotta join facebook....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Ho View Post
Don't forget Mission San Javier, out of Loreto. It is paved most of the way now with some gravel road toward the end. DaFoole, if you make it to Cabo send me a pm, I should still be down there at that time and I will buy you guy's a cerveza. Dan
You, sir, are on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV Fool View Post
If time permits, San Javier Mission is a great ride and really not that far. I was there last month really wishing I was on my bike! The ride to and from would be a ton of fun.
Looks like the mission will be on the agenda!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #43
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,663
In Loreto the Hotel Plaza Loreto has nice, clean, $51/night rooms with 2 beds. They also have a 24 hour front desk so you bikes are safe on the street, and they did let us put ours in the courtyard at night.

http://www.loreto.com/hotelplaza/index.htm

It's walking distance to most everything, a little family owned coffee shop is a couple doors east, and a bitchin hot dog stand is about a block west. Also only a couple blocks from the historic mission and old town square.

I recommend Baja Bound Insurance. After you enter your info they give you a nice chart of policies from several carriers that are easy to compare.

I HIGHLY recommend contacting Shari in Asuncion. She has several rentals, plus she arranges whale tours, and they have their own fishing boats if you would like to do some ocean fishing. You should be able to view her contact info on the fb page without signing up.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #44
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

GREAT info!!

Thanks mang!!
Old 10-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #45
rides2little
Posts2Little

Oddometer: 220
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836653

See the ride report for current (almost 1 month old now) photos and some info that might be helpful. There wasn't a part of the El Compadre road that would be an issue on bigger bikes at all.

Also, I found another place for the Baja Almanac. http://www.bajabooksandmaps.com/
rides2little is online now   Reply With Quote