Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,789
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #2342
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,455
Hey Ferris,

I'm heading down the Blue Ridge NEXT Saturday (10/13). How are the tree colors- Near prime or past prime color?

Thanks,

Rob
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #2343
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
Hey Ferris,

I'm heading down the Blue Ridge NEXT Saturday (10/13). How are the tree colors- Near prime or past prime color?

Thanks,

Rob
Until we get a first hand report:

October 2, 2012 NC Mountain Fall Color Report: Recent clouds and rain have slowed the color change, so there's still only spotty color in the higher elevations. Sunny skies and cool nights return tomorrow, the perfect combination for great fall color. By this weekend, best color will be above 4,500 feet, including Beech Mountain and the highest sections of the Parkway, especially the Graveyard Fields area.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #2344
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Hey Ferris,

Thanks,

Rob

In the Meadows of Dan area they are just starting to change. This photo was taken today from the valley looking up towards the Parkway.

2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #2345
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Tastroman,
I emailed Ferris a link to the tag with that picture- he's not gotten into the tag game, and I don't blame him at all- you can spend a lot of payday chasing photos :) Awesome tag though, and goddam, I know I need to stop by there everytime I'm in that area. Man.

Bueller,
We had a good little ride today and a great Oktoberfest in KVegas this afternoon. Color in Stuart wasn't quite there, but it'll be happening soon. What a great part of the world to call home... Ya'll ride safe and enjoy the pub :)

Prior screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 07:33 AM
Prior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #2346
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Hey thanks Prior. I was probably close to running into you on Saturday as I went through Stuart on my way to place the tag. What a great day for a ride. I must have passed 10 yard sales along with about 50 bikes throughout the day. Meadows of Dan was packed with bikes of every shape an size. One of those days where it seemed like everyone I came into contact with was in a good mood.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #2347
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Hey Ferris,

Thanks,

Rob
Hey Rob, sorry so slow to get back to you, haven't checked this thread in a couple of days. Color is near-prime, IMO, both here in SW VA, and down in NW NC, where Dnutz and I spent the weekend. Although it's gotten a lot colder we haven't had a frost yet, which really seems to trigger the reds. We never did get a look at Grandfather Mountain this weekend, due to fog - it's *possible* that at the higher elevations on GM there are reds, but honestly we couldn't even see the LOWER elevations, it was that crappy down there.

I'd say we'll be peaking at the 3000' elevations very, very soon, and the 6000' elevations, like Grandfather, etc., *may* be peaking right now.

All that said: The Parkway is gorgeous. The days are getting really short, and we had temps down into the high 30's this weekend, so dress warm (Gerbings is your friend :-)

Hope you have a great, safe ride. Looking forward to your RR.

Ferris

Fast Ferris screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 01:48 PM
Old 10-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #2348
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prior View Post
Bueller,
We had a good little ride today and a great Oktoberfest in KVegas this afternoon. Color in Stuart wasn't quite there, but it'll be happening soon. What a great part of the world to call home... Ya'll ride safe and enjoy the pub :)
We took the Limo down to Blowing Rock, which turned out to be a very good call (even packed the cable chains with us, just in case...). Had a great weekend, and found some twisty little mountain roads near Grandfather we'd never been on before (did you know there's a ski resort just a few minutes from Blowing Rock?). Did some shopping at the Mast General Store in Valle Crucis yesterday, which is always a treat, and just pretty much took it easy for a couple of days. Yes, we consumed several dark beers. :-)

Agree, color will peak very soon now...

Hope to see you guys again soon.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #2349
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
Hey thanks Prior. I was probably close to running into you on Saturday as I went through Stuart on my way to place the tag. What a great day for a ride. I must have passed 10 yard sales along with about 50 bikes throughout the day. Meadows of Dan was packed with bikes of every shape an size. One of those days where it seemed like everyone I came into contact with was in a good mood.
Tastroman, I was in MOD on the Road King on Saturday. Dangit, wish I'd know you were gonna be up here...
Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #2350
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ferris View Post
Tastroman, I was in MOD on the Road King on Saturday. Dangit, wish I'd know you were gonna be up here...

I would have shot you a pm but I was playing the local tag game and had little idea about where I would be when. I hope to get up that way at least one more time before winter sets in, or if nothing else, hit to Wades to pick up some apples.

Man you rack up the miles on your Harley. I look forward to the photo of your odometer flipping 100,000.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #2351
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
Man you rack up the miles on your Harley. I look forward to the photo of your odometer flipping 100,000.
Does this count?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #2352
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Just Because

Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #2353
Riff
Legend - In my Mind

Oddometer: 307
JUST BECAUSE IT'S RIGHT!

RIGHTEOUS!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #2354
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ferris View Post
Does this count?

Kind of dispels the myth of Harley riders riding to the local roadhouse and parking.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #2355
Fast Ferris OP
Shift Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
JUST BECAUSE IT'S RIGHT!

RIGHTEOUS!
Hey Riff, thanks for your infectious enthusiam!! I admire Madison Rising. I'm well older than their target audience, I suspect, but I still dig their driving beat, the superb vocal work, and, of course, their powerful message of patriotism. It's refreshing and encouraging to see "young" people who get what this country is all about and how we got here.

Thanks again. Here are two more from Madison Rising that I really enjoy: