Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #1186
Padmei OP
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Karma. Hopefully it comes back to you.

OTOH it is annoying if you are the only prepared rider in a group...
Thats why I ride with Nordie. His moto vest is like a doomsday preppers bunker

I'd love to show you around IM. Maybe we should have an airhead safari down here?

I took a couple of tubes in the weekend, but looked at the tyre levers & remembered there is no way I could get the tyres off & on properly so left them at home.

Out of interest what are monos like to ride compared to a para? I've heard the paras handle nicelyer but do youse that have ridden (or own- barstards) both think there is much in it?
Just thinking about Berlinas twin shocker swingarm extended with some raucous looking shocks on it & butt kicking KLR forks on the front.
Oh yeah candy red glitter banana seat too
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #1187
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Just thinking about Berlinas twin shocker swingarm extended with some raucous looking shocks on it & butt kicking KLR forks on the front.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #1188
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Thats why I ride with Nordie. His moto vest is like a doomsday preppers bunker
The only thing not in it, is tubes
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #1189
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,974
Monos (& some twin shocks) were cool with the shaft rise throttling on, & the fall throttling off. Michael & I were talking about them at the Pizza Beer & Bullshit night. The Para's definitely miss that (and the ways you developed to step around that), but probably handle more evenly because of it.

Waiting for MarkS to come & make some rude comment

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #1190
innathyzit
AKA Woodman

Oddometer: 805
Okay, will someone please explain paralever and mnolever. Some comments on here lately have caused some doubt in my mind about my understanding of them as below.

I always thought a paralever had a swingarm on both sides of the wheel as per normal and proper, and a monolever had a single sided swingarm. BTW single sided swingarms do nothing for me at all, just weird really.

Correct/Incorrect?
innathyzit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #1191
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

I've never ridden a BMW more modern than 1983...
Mono is when BMW binned the twin shocks, made a single sided swingarm and one shock....the main frame is the same....its still only pivots on the gearbox end.First appeared on the 80GS....?

Paralever is the proper jobby with the drive staying put and the shaft pivoted at both ends ...as the name suggests it works in parallel.

I don't notice the jacking on the R90 but on the shorter r65 its more apparent.....I don't have a problem with it...tend to use the rear brake before the front....

Someone who really knows will be along soon....

I don't like the look of single sided either.....or exhausts that go down one side only.... my mate has a Ducati 1000s and its got both.....to me looks unbalanced from an aesthetic point of view.......and as for the rattly clutch.....
Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #1192
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by innathyzit View Post
Okay, will someone please explain paralever and mnolever. Some comments on here lately have caused some doubt in my mind about my understanding of them as below.

I always thought a paralever had a swingarm on both sides of the wheel as per normal and proper, and a monolever had a single sided swingarm. BTW single sided swingarms do nothing for me at all, just weird really.

Correct/Incorrect?
Monolever

Paralever

Single sides swingarms are great, combined with a shaft drive. It's so easy to take the wheel off. The monolevers are supposedly less prone to failure, as the shaft runs in an oil bath. The paralever is longer and has less jacking on take off and acceleration. It's more complex due to the second pivot point. But on a BMW it's easy to take stuff apart. At least on the older ones. There are things I won't touch on the 1150 and I'd hate to work on that new 1200. But that's just me.
Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #1193
Padmei OP
enamoured

Yes see Woodman how the mono has a kinda spindly looking driveshaft housing & the para has the big chunky driveshaft housing (which is actually quite lite for its' girth) & torque arm. It moves like a parallelogram keeping the rear wheel betterer on the ground.

I'm just thinking out loud about ride height & simplicity. My lowered pegs (about 20-25mm) were hitting quite a few rocks & stuff & the centre stand was taking a bit of a smacking. I could raise the pegs up again & live with the seating position but I was thinking it would be quite nice just to have that much more on ride height.
Of course as since I couldn't hear any probs from the engine area my mind started to wander down to the driveline & wonder if my rebuilt driveshaft, pivot bearings final drive etc were good or if they'd crap out out soon. Paranoia - what paranoia???

OTOH it rides bloody well on everything but the knarlier stuff which is only going to be a small part of its' path.

I'm def gonna have a look for gearbox to chain conversions - way easier to service
Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #1194
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Quote:
I'm def gonna have a look for gearbox to chain conversions - way easier to service
Yes, then you can worry about which one is the weakest link, or if you should oil it, or tension it, or if you should clean it, or if those sprockets are going to last....
Old 10-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #1195
msmckeon
Just ahead of the sweeps

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
I'm just thinking out loud about ride height & simplicity. My lowered pegs (about 20-25mm) were hitting quite a few rocks & stuff & the centre stand was taking a bit of a smacking. I could raise the pegs up again & live with the seating position but I was thinking it would be quite nice just to have that much more on ride height.
D
I have owned 5 Monolever, 2 Paralever and 1 twin shock 2 valve twins.
The only difference apparent to me on the road is that the shock on pre Paralever bikes rises under acceleration and drops if the throttle is closed, due to the shaft pinion climbing or dropping down the final drive gear. The latter is not at all helpful in the event you are entering a corner too fast and panic while leaning over. The Paralever exists to prevent this. But open and close the earlier bike throttle smoothly, ride smoothly and drag the back brake very slightly before closing the throttle (so seamless transition from power to braking) and no issues. Becomes second nature.

Personally I think the Paralever is a poor design and greatly prefer the simplicity, accessibility, durability and elegance of the Monolever set up. It also has a rear brake that works.
Regards,
Michael
msmckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #1196
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmckeon View Post
It also has a rear brake that works.
Regards,
Michael
So true..
Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #1197
Padmei OP
enamoured

It's not about the bike - look past it. it's the message - truly inspiring

Deus Ex Machina from Seth C Brown on Vimeo.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 AM   #1198
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

the poor old BMW....reminds me of what was done to beetles and kombis in the 80's..... I liked his shed though.....
Old 10-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #1199
Padmei OP
enamoured

I had an interesting ride yesterday.
I had planned to meet Mrs Padmei & the ponies over in Blenheim last night. My plan was to ride over the Maungatapu to Pelorus, head to Havelock & cruise along the Queen Charlotte drive to Picton then carry on over the hill to Port Underwood & around the gravel road to Rarangi & into Blenheim.

http://goo.gl/maps/amYRx

http://goo.gl/maps/amYRx

This plan was thought up on a warm dry spring evening when the world was at peace. The morning of the departure however brought warnings of heavy rain, strong gusts & general doom.

HA!! said I . I'm going to be a real adventurerer today like the ones I read about on the internet - men & women melded from iron, hearts charged full of blood & heads full of bloodymindedness!!

Layering up against the weather I crept out of the quiet neighbourhood as the timid peeked from behind curtains.
Riding up the Maitai i noticed the river was up high. It hadn't reached the road but it was still raining & only a matter of time. At that point of time I began to wonder if I had made the right decision.

I had forgotten about te only water crossing of the trip. There was a small stream crossing at the beginning of the Maunga track that has caught me out once before when I was a greenhorn. My eyes began watering at the memory of leaning over my spanking new KLR whilst trying to cough my adams apple back up. It was only a couple of metres wide if that so should be passable...

I enjoyed the ride on the empty gravel roads thru the forest to the start of the track. In the back of my mind I was getting slightly worried about each stretch of clay, grass & root lined track I rode on the way down to the start as if I was to return this way my road tyres may not make it back up.

Soon enough howevee I was grunting Schmidt up onto his centrestand before the watercrossing.
It looked ugly. What usually was a clear babbling stream which could probably be jumped acroos with a short runup had brown swirling eddies at the entry point & looed undeterminally deep.
How deep was pretty obvious as I took one step into the murky water. I was thigh deep with my first step & the water had a fair bit of pressure behind it. Decision made.

Firing it up & turning the bike around I gunned it back up the way I came, up the clay chute, over the slippery roots & straight thru the clay & grass without a protest from the back tyre.
As I travelled back alongside the Maitai the flooding warning signs had been erected.
I called back in home & changed helmets - mmmm nice dry one.

Over the Whangamoas we went, man & machine. Both simple, both relaxed & both enjoying battling the onslaught of the elements. Although pretty wet we were warm.

The flooding began to show on the way to Pelorus. Cockies were on their quads herding the flocks of cows to higher ground, The Pelorus river was very scary big standing waves & boils -shudder

On the way thru the Rai the lowlying paddocks were under water. The cattle were standing on what they could to keep dry. The Rai river was wide, fast & halfway up the willows. Water was cascading from the side of the hills bordering the roads. We rode on leaning against the swirling gusts.

I turned off at Havelock & onto the Queen Charlotte Drive.
Riding up the Mahakapawa an amazing thing happened. The sky broke open & the sun came bursting thru. My world instantly became an incredible kaleidoscope of of the most vivid yellow & lime green I have ever experienced. The intensity of the sunlight had somehow magnified the colours of the flowering broom along the roadside. The wet road was glossy black & the white lines blindingly bright. I felt I was in a Lemon lime fruju adverstisement. An unforgettable moment.

Ahead & around me the hills were deep dark blue grey however for those few minutes where we rode the sun shone. Heading East now we were running with the wind. A srange silence took up where the buffeting wind no longer whistled. I could talk easily to Schmidt now. I could hear the change of the valves rattle when I went over 3000 revs, the whirr of the gearbox & the gentle burblng & popping of the ehaust.

The cold began to creep in. As I felt my core start to chill my body stiffened & my riding became slower, careful & wooden. I rode around corners upright & took what opportunity I could to slap my right hand against my thigh to coax some blood into it.

Arriving at Picton I chose to head straight to Blenheim & the warmth. Out of the sounds the clouds loosened & became white & fluffy. Hitting the Wairua Plains the sun shone & the vines began.
Belheim came soon enough & after a couple of hot pies, coffee & change into dry clothes I sat back & thought how although I hadn't gone anywhere I hadn't been before, talked to anybody or got into any particularly dicey situations, what an interesting ride it was.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #1200
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,074
Quote:
Riding up the Mahakapawa an amazing thing happened. The sky broke open & the sun came bursting thru. My world instantly became an incredible kaleidoscope of of the most vivid yellow & lime green I have ever experienced.
Yeah, the mussel pies can have that effect on me too.

I've had a bit of a chest infection sort of thingy for the last 5 days, can't take a full breath, standing up feels like you've just done a 5km run...

Today I cycled slowly up to the Maitai Dam via the road and back home via Central Rd and the Hurricane Hill bypass (2hrs) and felt less knackered than I would have yesterday just sitting down and standing up again...

Can't wait to get the TT back together and the DR needs a new chain and sprockets.

We've got to cruise the 6hr/enduro track sometime
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote