Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #16
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 501
SavannahCapt- I need to meet up with you sometime and do some ridin'. I just moved to Savannah and got out for the first time this past weekend. Here are some shots from my maiden voyage here on the coast.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
SavannahCapt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
[QUOTE=unlawfulsm;19789653]SavannahCapt- I need to meet up with you sometime and do some ridin'. I just moved to Savannah and got out for the first time this past weekend. Here are some shots from my maiden voyage here on the coast.

meeting up some time would be great. Where are those pictures from?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,948
Little Tybee...

Great little blog going here. Savannah brings back strong memories for me. I did my advance flight training at Hunter. After nam I came back as a flight instructor. I had a brand new Honda CL450 and a Porsche 914 from my flight pay.

I met an incredibly beautiful young woman at Savannah Beach . It was August and she was sunning in her beach chair reading a book. I drove by a couple times, parked and got out and stood there gazing at her. After a few, she tilted her head down and looked at me over her sun glasses... Then she smiled...I was a goner . Turns out she was a student at Armstrong State. I lived in an apartment a couple blocks away. Abersomething Blvd or like that.

The four of us had one HAWT few months together! Me; the stunning beach girl, and my two fun mobiles. She was 20 and I was 22. I remember every inch of her. I bet she does me too...Dang!

I remember some of those dirt roads too, but not quite so vividly. The Honda wasn't quite up to them when the weather came. Not the sand either. It wasn't long before I traded that thing for a Yamaha Enduro. Much better!

Thanks for the memories. I'll stop in from time to time.

Pantah screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 05:45 PM
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
SavannahCapt OP
Studly Adventurer

[
Thanks for the memories. I'll stop in from time to time.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply. I'm about 65 miles inland, but kept a boat at Thunderbolt for many years. I used to stay aboard 4 days then go up in the country for 3. Stay mostly at the house now but visit Savannah often, Its still one of my favorite cities.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #20
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

[QUOTE=SavannahCapt;19789879]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm View Post
SavannahCapt- I need to meet up with you sometime and do some ridin'. I just moved to Savannah and got out for the first time this past weekend. Here are some shots from my maiden voyage here on the coast.

meeting up some time would be great. Where are those pictures from?
Took those shots about 75-80 miles north of Savannah in SC. Found some tracks for some dirt so thought I should start there. I live about 1 mile from Thunderbolt right now.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
Old 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
Jman955i
Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer: 1,710
Man that sand is bringing some serious DT's my way. Did the Southern DS Loop and thought that I would hate the sand. But after the first 3 hours I was digging the sand. Hated to leave it and head North. Need to get down that way again.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #22
SavannahCapt OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman955i View Post
Man that sand is bringing some serious DT's my way. Did the Southern DS Loop and thought that I would hate the sand. But after the first 3 hours I was digging the sand. Hated to leave it and head North. Need to get down that way again.
Well I'm still learning. It is really smooth about 2 days after a rain. I've learned to go faster and let her have her head, at least until the deep soft ruts. I guess the trade off is going fast you don't fall as much, but when you do, it hurts worse. I guess everyone has a best speed for them and their bike. Much of it is fairly hard packed around here. I'm still experimenting on how much I can lean in the curves with my set up. Come on down. Funny, I head North every chance I get.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #23
SavannahCapt OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Great little blog going here. Savannah brings back strong memories for me. I did my advance flight training at Hunter. After nam I came back as a flight instructor. I had a brand new Honda CL450 and a Porsche 914 from my flight pay.

I met an incredibly beautiful young woman at Savannah Beach . It was August and she was sunning in her beach chair reading a book. I drove by a couple times, parked and got out and stood there gazing at her. After a few, she tilted her head down and looked at me over her sun glasses... Then she smiled...I was a goner . Turns out she was a student at Armstrong State. I lived in an apartment a couple blocks away. Abersomething Blvd or like that.

The four of us had one HAWT few months together! Me; the stunning beach girl, and my two fun mobiles. She was 20 and I was 22. I remember every inch of her. I bet she does me too...Dang!

I remember some of those dirt roads too, but not quite so vividly. The Honda wasn't quite up to them when the weather came. Not the sand either. It wasn't long before I traded that thing for a Yamaha Enduro. Much better!

Thanks for the memories. I'll stop in from time to time.
I wonder how many Grandchildren she has now...

Abercorn

SavannahCapt screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 06:43 PM Reason: spelling
SavannahCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:04 AM   #24
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
Funny, I head North every chance I get.
I hear ya I moved here from the North GA Mountains.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #25
Rainier_Rider
Gone

Oddometer: 1,560
I haven't seen that part of the country since I left Ft Stew in 2000.
I sure don't miss the bugs.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #26
SavannahCapt OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_Rider View Post
I haven't seen that part of the country since I left Ft Stew in 2000.
I sure don't miss the bugs.
They are an aquirred taste.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #27
SavannahCapt OP
Studly Adventurer

Out and About

I took another short ride today, focusing on dirt roads, in hind sight I probably should have named this "Backroads close to home, Oh well.

Left home and soon got onto Millerville Road
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Which led to Millerville and Miller Store
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

A mile away is Thomaville and its general store
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Headed south and saw some rolled peanut plants. More about peanuts later.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

More dirt Ponderosa Road
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Cotton is getting ready for pickin
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Lilly pad pond on Ponderosa
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Sandy roads continue
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

I'm starting to get hungry by this time and plan on stopping in Portal for a cheeseburger. But as I approach I start thinking about this place only about ten more miles on two lane blacktop. Its in Metter near I-16
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Good BBQ (for Georgia) great fried squash, wonderful Coconut Cream Pie. The smiling pig on the sign obviously doesn't know what is going on in the kitchen.

Finding more dirt roads heading generally north toward home
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Old crib or shed in the woods
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Peanuts being turned over to expose the nuts
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

turned rows
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

close up of the peanuts turned for drying and harvesting. They are harvested with a sort of a combine-like machine, put into wagons and hauled to a central location for processing
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

More fun roads and then finally up ahead through the trees,,,,,home sweet home.
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 10-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
Rainier_Rider
Gone

Oddometer: 1,560
There's a 'gator in here:
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
SavannahCapt OP
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Rainier_Rider;19798024]There's a 'gator in here:

Probably
Old 10-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #30
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,948
Sand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
Well I'm still learning. It is really smooth about 2 days after a rain. I've learned to go faster and let her have her head, at least until the deep soft ruts. I guess the trade off is going fast you don't fall as much, but when you do, it hurts worse. I guess everyone has a best speed for them and their bike. Much of it is fairly hard packed around here. I'm still experimenting on how much I can lean in the curves with my set up. Come on down. Funny, I head North every chance I get.
Hey Cap - I struggled recently trying to re-learn sand in Arizona, where I keep a Yamaha WR250R dual sport. There is a 13 mile natural drainage there called Camp Creek Wash. I was asked by an inmate to scout sections of the Great Western Trail with a GPS as the GWT is sort of a work-in-progress. It included this wash as a connector of two big sections and they wanted me to see if it was big bike friendly.

I tried 3X to ride that wash and failed from both ends of it. After a couple days pondering my struggles I decided to mount a new front tire and try again. Many inmates gave me riding tips too. So I went back with a fresh tire and a mind to improve my technique. I did it in about 60 minutes end to end.

I had the OEM Bridgestone Deathwings on it. The new tire was a Michelin T63. It was like night and day in the sand. It was good in the mud too, but the only place to test it there is water crossings.

So my suggestion is to get one of those T63's for the front of that KLR. Speedwise, I found I had to keep it up above 16mph and generally a bit higher. This stuff was deep! I stopped once, and it was very hard to get going again with the bars waggling and such. I think 30mph would have been best, but I am sensitive to falling off at much speed too. 16 was good for me.

Yes, it was Abercorn I guess... And don't go ruining my long cherished images with realities like grandkids!

Pantah screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 05:22 PM
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote