Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #76
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
You built wires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammess View Post
lol..lol..I guess I haven't had much to say on this forum come to think about it. As to what wires did I use, I connected the two outside wires from the stick coil connector to the primary side of the Ford coil. The center (third) wire is a shield ground used by the original stick coil I believe.
How did you connect the wires to the primary plugs? Did you buy or build wires to go from the spark plug to the new coils?
pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #77
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Well, I did the conversion to Ford C.O.P and she no run good at all. It is as if the primary plugs are not there and it runs only on the secondaries. Oh, this is an '04RT I'm playing with. I pull the primary plugs and ground them then turn over the engine and I get spark on both plugs so it must be that the spark is just not strong enough when under compression. I didn't pay any attention to which of the two wires from the motronic I connected to which of the two coil terminals. The coils I am using are Accel coils I bought on Amazon. I am at a loss.....HELP!
I guess you knew primary from secondary, and your question is about whether there is a polarity to the two primary wires.

The three wires, according to my schematic disk that you can see here ( R1150 Electical Schematics) at X9506 are: primary-side +12, primary-side trigger, and secondary-side ground.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #78
Jammess
Native Oregonian

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwirepro View Post
How did you connect the wires to the primary plugs? Did you buy or build wires to go from the spark plug to the new coils?
And a good morning pcwirepro. I bought two spark plug cables (BMW) that are for the R1100RS which doesn't use stick coils then it was simple to connect them to the high voltage terminal on the Ford coils.
Jammess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #79
Jammess
Native Oregonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
I guess you knew primary from secondary, and your question is about whether there is a polarity to the two primary wires.

The three wires, according to my schematic disk that you can see here ( R1150 Electical Schematics) at X9506 are: primary-side +12, primary-side trigger, and secondary-side ground.
Hello Roger. Hey, I'm an Oregon Tech graduate so yup, I know primary from secondary.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #80
HackyMoto OP
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Oddometer: 1,060
Oboy here we go. more info needed was the bike running bad before the swap?

Quote:
Well, I did the conversion to Ford C.O.P and she no run good at all. It is as if the primary plugs are not there and it runs only on the secondaries. Oh, this is an '04RT I'm playing with. I pull the primary plugs and ground them then turn over the engine and I get spark on both plugs so it must be that the spark is just not strong enough when under compression. I didn't pay any attention to which of the two wires from the motronic I connected to which of the two coil terminals. This could be the problem.
The coils I am using are Accel coils I bought on Amazon. I am at a loss.....HELP!

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #81
Jammess
Native Oregonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackyMoto View Post
Hi HM, the bike was running great. I have been thinking about replacing the BMW stick coils ever sense my coils failed a couple years ago and I found out what new BMW coils cost. Then I saw your (this) thread and finally decided to give it a try. I didn't get the results you have not even close. The Accel coils produced a spark but apparently not of sufficient strength to work under compression. Why I don't know. I was using the Accel Super Coil #140032. Plug leads were the ones that fit a non stick coil R1100RS. My bike is an '04RT.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #82
Sporttour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbski View Post
Pictures please
Hacky, sorry for the hijack.... I will post this and I'll be gone

The stick coils I got came from a K1200GT. As you can see the body of the coils are the same length. I peeled off the rubber boots to expose the brass contact pole extensions, the extensions are secured to the body by a snap ring... If you follow this route what you need to do next is going to be evident.

This is how it looks once you are done...

More Pictures:

Straight spark plug boot

Coil placement: high, dry, and COOLER

Left coil with the Tupperware on

Sporttour screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 10:09 AM Reason: Fat fingers ;)
Sporttour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #83
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,408
Quote:
Hey Hacky, what are ya doin' man? Get out there and keep ridin'....we're countin' on you.....we'll get this COP Ford thing worked out.

I'm still tryin' to figure out how to vote multiple times...

Now fire up the GS and stay safe....
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #84
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,467
Laugh

"The coils I am using are Accel coils I bought on Amazon"... sooooooo.... those are coils Accel built to replace Ford coils????

if connected correctly, then maybe it isn't the coils that are bad.

I will contend that ANY 12V ignition coil will work as long as the primary resistance is as high or higher than the original stick's primary.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #85
Jammess
Native Oregonian

After my little experiment with coil replacement using the Accel Super Coil I would have to say that until I see with my own eyes a successful stick coil replacement then I'm going to stick (no pun intended) with what works. Connecting up a replacement for the stick coils isn't rocket science, just two wires for the primary and one HV lead to the plug. In my case I had spark as observed with the plugs removed and grounded and the engine turned over on the starter motor but put the plugs in the head and nada. That tells me the coils don't have the proper electrical characteristics to match the performance of the original BMW coils. End of my experiment before I end up shopping for a new Motronic, god forbid.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #86
HackyMoto OP
TEAMUSAGSTROPHY2012

Oddometer: 1,060
Talking

TEAM USA. Thanks for the support

Sponsor
alaskaleather.com

Join Smugmug save 5 bucks coupon(uADB4GsV1gfKM)
HackyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #87
pcwirepro
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Is that your day job?

If so then you're the man.

Quote:
TEAM USA. Thanks for the support

pcwirepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #88
picinisco
Scottish Transplant

Oddometer: 459
Coil Connector

Summit racing sell this connector that fits the Ford coil perfectly. $3.95 each. They sell them on eBay.

My question is what wire goes where on the bike.

Bikes That have Moved On:
1978 Suzuki GS550E, 1978 Kawasaki KZ1000P, 1982 Honda XL500R, 1995 BMW R1100RSL
picinisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #89
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporttour View Post
Hacky, sorry for the hijack.... I will post this and I'll be gone

The stick coils I got came from a K1200GT. As you can see the body of the coils are the same length. I peeled off the rubber boots to expose the brass contact pole extensions, the extensions are secured to the body by a snap ring... If you follow this route what you need to do next is going to be evident.

This is how it looks once you are done...

More Pictures:

Straight spark plug boot

Coil placement: high, dry, and COOLER

Left coil with the Tupperware on

My opinion? This mod will likely keep your OE BMW stick coils operating for a very long time inasmuch as the coils are now operating in the breeze where its cool and comfortable rather than burried down in the OHV cover where the temperatures change from cool to very hot and cool again.
def is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #90
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121

The mounting spot you've chosen is prime real estate. I had a hard time coming up with secure locations in the vicinity of the engine but not interfering with cables or hoses. Guess I won't be moving my stick coils.

roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote