Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 07:33 AM   #16
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
thanks hugemoth, could spend days looking. ive just rebuilt the original(spring seat broke and ended up bending the intake valve, aside from the head, everything was in great shape. but ohboy this thing could use a few more ponies and a manual clutch would be the cats ass!
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #17
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,760
I've owned CT90s since 1971 (among larger bikes) and although they were great for exploring trails they were too slow for the daily commute to work. The 140 made it into a much more practical bike that I find myself using every day, both on road and off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
thanks hugemoth, could spend days looking. ive just rebuilt the original(spring seat broke and ended up bending the intake valve, aside from the head, everything was in great shape. but ohboy this thing could use a few more ponies and a manual clutch would be the cats ass!
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's been over 25,000 miles since I cleaned the centrifugal oil filter in the 200 so today I did it and took a few pics. Here's what it looks like with the clutch side cover off. From left to right is the clutch, centrifugal oil filter, counterbalance shaft, and below is the oil pump.

Still running great. I'm planning on doing this to the 140 later today and will post pics of that one too.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 313
It would be really neat if Lifan started making last Gen XR250, XR400
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #20
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here are some pics of inside the clutch cover on the Lifan 140. This engine can be started in any gear because the clutch is mounted on the transmission input shaft where Lifan engines smaller than 120cc must be started in neutral because the clutch is mounted on the crankshaft, electric start engines excepted. The centrifugal filter is heavy steel to act as a second flywheel. It also has a oil filter screen in the same position as the small Honda engines. This engine has just under 10,000 miles.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #21
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
As far as I am concerned this was a big mistake to hide that filter screen exactly the way it was done on the old honda's. Symba stole that motor design too, but here is a pic from the manual and the access that they provided to cleaning the filter screen. Much smarter as far as I am concerned and Lifan should look it to it.

I am glad that the motors are holding up and Lifan is building a quality product and reputation.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #22
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,439
I guess as many Cubs as SYM made for Honda they figured they owed them.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #23
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

That is a better idea but I've never found anything in the screen. The Lifan 150 has the screen under an easy access cover, as does my Lifan 200 but you still have to remove the side cover to clean the centrifugal filter. I assume the Symba is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna bECO View Post
As far as I am concerned this was a big mistake to hide that filter screen exactly the way it was done on the old honda's. Symba stole that motor design too, but here is a pic from the manual and the access that they provided to cleaning the filter screen. Much smarter as far as I am concerned and Lifan should look it to it.

I am glad that the motors are holding up and Lifan is building a quality product and reputation.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #24
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

I also adjusted the valves today on both the 140 and 200. The 140 is the same as all the small Honda engines but the 200 being a push rod engine is different. Here are a couple pics of the 200 rockers. Nice not having to work through a little hole like on the horizontal engines.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #25
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,638
How many miles do you have on the 200 now, hugemoth?

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #26
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
The Lifan 200 seems to be a well designed and decent quality engine. I also had a 2007 Lifan LF200GY-5 dual sport bike, unfortunately it did not last long. Just past 3500 miles, that centrifugal oil filter came loose from the crankshaft and destroyed the engine. I was way out in the desert at the time, fortunately within cell phone service range. The filter was installed with just a nut, no lock washer, or any sign of thread locker. The nut just came loose. If it hadn't been for that, it may very well have lasted a very long time, as I over maintained it. Maybe someone at the factory just forgot to put locktite on it, but I would have used either a Nyloc nut, or a a flat washer that could be bent around the nut, like is used on many clutch nuts. One thing I really liked about that engine was the pushrod OHV design. I am not a fan of non replaceable internal cam chains. It does look like the oil pump is chain driven, but you can get to it. With that many miles on it, I'd replace that chain.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #27
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

I can see how major damage would occur if the centrifugal filter came loose but mine has a tabbed washer that locks the nut in place. You can see one of the tabs in this pic. The oil pump drive chain and sprockets show no sign of wear. There isn't much stress on it and it gets plenty of oil.

Cam chains and tensioners have been a weak point in many Honda engine designs. The parallel twins with the chain in the middle required a major tear down to replace. Even my old CX500 push rod engine had cam chain guide issues at about 50K miles and the early ones had a factory recall on the tensioner.

I like the design of this engine and understand why the Honda CG125 that it is based on is so popular where it's sold. While not the most powerful 200cc engine around it has a very linear power band and always runs the same regardless of temperature or humidity.

BTW to answer the question in the previous post then engine has over 37,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The Lifan 200 seems to be a well designed and decent quality engine. I also had a 2007 Lifan LF200GY-5 dual sport bike, unfortunately it did not last long. Just past 3500 miles, that centrifugal oil filter came loose from the crankshaft and destroyed the engine. I was way out in the desert at the time, fortunately within cell phone service range. The filter was installed with just a nut, no lock washer, or any sign of thread locker. The nut just came loose. If it hadn't been for that, it may very well have lasted a very long time, as I over maintained it. Maybe someone at the factory just forgot to put locktite on it, but I would have used either a Nyloc nut, or a a flat washer that could be bent around the nut, like is used on many clutch nuts. One thing I really liked about that engine was the pushrod OHV design. I am not a fan of non replaceable internal cam chains. It does look like the oil pump is chain driven, but you can get to it. With that many miles on it, I'd replace that chain.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #28
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Ah, that explains it. My engine did not have that part. BTW, I got my bike for under $1400 online, from a dealer who had it drop shipped to me from Texas. I thought that was quite a deal. American Lifan no longer sells that model, as far as I can tell, and all of their bikes have now become so expensive (they refuse to sell them in any other way than through an authorized dealer, who gets a big chunk of the profit) that buying a slightly used Japanese bike is now a better option in many cases. I replaced mine with a Yamaha XT225, which I got for not much more, with only 1800 miles on it. It now has close to 30,000 on it, and the only issue has been with the starter clutch, which I blame on bad design. I replaced about $150 worth of parts to fix it, then turned around and installed the kickstarter assembly from a TTR-225 on it. I now mostly use the kickstarter. To it's benefit, the Lifan also had a kickstarter, something that has long been lacking on Japanese dirt/dual sport bikes.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #29
hugemoth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mine was purchased for the same price and drop shipped from the same place. 3 of my friends bought the same bike a couple weeks later. No one has had a single engine problem.

It's too bad Lifan didn't continue to offer those super low prices long enough to get their name known in the US. I wouldn't buy a new one at the prices they're asking now. I would however buy their engines to put in older bikes to get them back on the road, and have so far done that with 3 bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Ah, that explains it. My engine did not have that part. BTW, I got my bike for under $1400 online, from a dealer who had it drop shipped to me from Texas. I thought that was quite a deal. American Lifan no longer sells that model, as far as I can tell, and all of their bikes have now become so expensive (they refuse to sell them in any other way than through an authorized dealer, who gets a big chunk of the profit) that buying a slightly used Japanese bike is now a better option in many cases. I replaced mine with a Yamaha XT225, which I got for not much more, with only 1800 miles on it. It now has close to 30,000 on it, and the only issue has been with the starter clutch, which I blame on bad design. I replaced about $150 worth of parts to fix it, then turned around and installed the kickstarter assembly from a TTR-225 on it. I now mostly use the kickstarter. To it's benefit, the Lifan also had a kickstarter, something that has long been lacking on Japanese dirt/dual sport bikes.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #30
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,083
The 110 and 100 cc Lifans, do they need to have their clutch cover removed to clean out behind the interior of the clutch assembly?

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote