User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
BKMLWR OP
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,530
2012 dirt tour- the Gaspe Interior

Saddletramp and I had a great tour in the Gaspe region. We started with a dose of reality after riding 90km to find a meter or more over the road due to the castors...and with the unique geography of the region it was 90km back to restart the adventure....

here is one of Saddletramp's pics, now being used as my desktop...

I left the Bangor area headed for Sunny Corner, NB. Approaching Fredricton I could smell a good brunch from miles away.... and found this....

Sredman in tire changing training. Nice to be able to take travel breaks with friends along the way, thanks again for brunch

Monday morning found us riding up 430 past Heath headed for Bathurst and beyond. Riding behind Saddletramp I saw a large dark animal running across the road ahead. S confirmed it was a good sized bear..
Campbellton has done a nice job with the waterfront but the bridge beckons.... and the highlands are visible and we are eagar to get going...

We leave the pavement in Nouvelle Quest on atv trail 10, planning to go to trail 313 but we never saw any more signs after a few kms on 10...

but the road was good and we headed on with the gps tracks made from the atv map...

the scenery was great and we happily rode 90 km into the interior...

The gps track told us to turn into an overgrown road which we decided not to do so we continued on another 100 or so meters to a flooded road from a beaver pond and so not wanting to get into trouble at that point we headed back to pavement...saddletramp said the scenery was going to be good on the way out and I said to myself S will be a good ride partner on this adventure...

The afternoon was getting late so we decided to head to Park National de Gaspe on pavement to get a good start on the next day. We had planned to reach the north shore and then down into the park but we rode up 299 instead, which is still a nice ride...other than the downpour that put us up in the trees along the road for a few minutes...

Hogback Mtn

In the park, a moose posed for pictures by passing motorists....

Saddletramp's unique woodfired cookstove using wet wood and a little battery powered forced draft...

Mt Albert in the morning from road in campground. Unlike canoeing in Labrador, Saddletramp discovers some campsites have hot showers and flush toilets...he is not sure about this....

The WR250R is doing a great job for the space alien.....
On the road which runs along the border of the part heading east to Reserve de Chic Chocs

we turn Reserve de Chic Chocs. This single lane road goes on for 31km of dualsport heaven...

this area is sectored off for moose hunting so you would probably not be welcome in Sept. which is why I planned this ride in Aug. I ran into the moose hunt issue last year in Quebec and was lucky to be riding thru at noontime while the hunters were eating....

The road stays on high ground with scenic vistas almost the entire way, not the usual treelined road with occasional views between the trees..... a must ride road for interior Gaspe...

Saddletramp and I had agreed we wanted to see the scenery and enjoy the moments so we rode slow (I know, I always am slow) and appreciated where we were. Saddletramp said I got an A+ for this part of the ride...there was one set of fresh tracks of possibly a Humvee which gave us a good feeling that the road would go thru and not be another deadend... we came out on the pavement just north of Murdochville and fueled up and had lunch at Hotel Copper before heading south to the next dirt section...

more to come...
LifeSong

BKMLWR screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 02:54 PM
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,246
In!
Tslapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,383
SO in !!!!

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
LisaS
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
A few more pics from brunch:

Jerry and I appreciate you stoppin in for the private viewing the other night. I am enjoying seeing them again tho!
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
BKMLWR OP
Wondering around...

quick view
LifeSong
Old 08-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
BKMLWR OP
Wondering around...

the pronounced change in color of roadbed was interesting at times when the road builder changed sources of material while building the dirt road
LifeSong
Old 08-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
AlanP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Very cool stove

Saddletramp's unique woodfired cookstove using wet wood and a little battery powered forced draft...

Any chance you'd give more info on this stove? Part of it looks collapsible, which is cool, but the bottom looks heavy. Makes my brain start working...
AlanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
BKMLWR OP
Wondering around...

after lunch in Murdochville we took pavement south for about 16-20km and then on to atv trail 30.

alittle more enclosed with tree / brush but still a good trail.

not too hard to pick out this section on the map....

we came upon a crew replacing a culvert with wheeler dump truck, and excavator brought in on a flatbed trailer. This assured us of a good trail out to pavement somewhere....in this area I had 3 options for routes and the one along a river was not very visible on google earth but was on maps I had so I had optional plans. Turns out atv30 is the route along the river and is covered with tree canopy for much of the way which is why you can't see it on google earth. I'm glad I was not the one driving the lowboy trailer in with a excavator. They have been working on this atv trail to improve it and it is quite the road, not technical but I would call it the "Tail of the Dragon" dirt version.

the edge of the road there is a good drop down to the river.....

we came out near the town of Gaspe and headed up the coast, I'd been told the 30 miles up the coast was the best of the coastal riding...not true, nice but not the best. We headed to Grand Valle to camp and head inland in the morning.
tallest light house in eastern Ca. according to Saddletramp...

caught a glimpse of this fellow as we rode along the coast..

hard to see but there were 2 fisherman here, we watched fish jump behind them..

dinner in the dark became pizza in the shop...
LifeSong
Old 08-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
BKMLWR OP
Wondering around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaZit View Post

Any chance you'd give more info on this stove? Part of it looks collapsible, which is cool, but the bottom looks heavy. Makes my brain start working...
I will get some info on the stove and post it. It does fold up and has small fan and damper. Battery pack lasts a long time Saddletramp uses it on long canoe trips....no fuel cans to pack with this thing...my jetboil went all week on 1 fuel can too...
LifeSong
Old 08-30-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
BKMLWR OP
Wondering around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaZit View Post

stove info-

http://www.campsaver.com/solhuma.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX-M619wwXg
LifeSong
Old 09-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
BKMLWR OP
Wondering around...

Wednesday morning...after some windy pavement out of Grand Valle we are back on dirt and headed "straight" across the peninsula....

Interesting sign after what happened on Monday, we saw that word "L Aeroport" on Monday...
That sign has important names for riding round interior Gaspe....sign is just off 299 south of Gaspe Nat. Park near Caspedia River..

Off we go along the river....

this guy keeps following me.....

Lac Huard....we should have been here Monday....RJ kept refering to Loon Lake which I did not see on any maps
then he mentioned that huard is French for loon...and my French education continues... :smt102

another curve...wonder what is around this one...just more scenic riding...RJ gives me another A+

always watching for these...we only saw 2 and were stopped along the road each time...
Zaner32 and I came across some last yr near near Popple Depot, nice to be stopped then too.

back on pavement coming into Causapscal..approx. 218km from Grand Valle.

heading south on 132 we stop at a little campground in St Florence.. with thunder booming near by the lady at the office says go setup and pay later...we have been very lucky.. only 1 downpour on Monday and scattered light showers the rest of the time...rain came at night but never enough to get the tents wet. We discussed playing the older rider card and getting a motel but never did. New 78" Big Agnes insulated air core pad did a great job but I would get the 24" instead of the 20 if I did it again but my 20 will be good with the mummy bag in late season...
LifeSong
Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Awesome report BostonRider and I worked our way from Massachusetts through Vermont andsouthwestern Quebec to Quebec city on dirt a couple of weeks ago, then south from there on dirt into Maine. She really wanted to head up the Gaspe penninsula, but we needed an extra day or two to actually be able to enjoy the ride, so we decided to save it for next summer. Don't be surprised if you're getting PMs from me looking for gps tracks and route recommendations in 9 months or so!
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
scottbed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quebec any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeede View Post
Awesome report BostonRider and I worked our way from Massachusetts through Vermont andsouthwestern Quebec to Quebec city on dirt a couple of weeks ago, then south from there on dirt into Maine. She really wanted to head up the Gaspe penninsula, but we needed an extra day or two to actually be able to enjoy the ride, so we decided to save it for next summer. Don't be surprised if you're getting PMs from me looking for gps tracks and route recommendations in 9 months or so!
Nice ride report.

We are doing Moosehead Lake, ME up to a loop around mid-lower NB and back next year (5-6 days). Did you like the Quebec area? I was thinking of doing that at some point if it's good.

Thanks!
scottbed is offline   Reply With Quote