User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
abnslr OP
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Question Croatia Questions

I'm planning on taking a short trip to Croatia this coming weekend -- ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik the night of the 4th, and ferry Split to Ancona the night of the 7th. I'm planning to spend the nights of the 5th and 6th in Dubrovnik, then head up to Split early the morning of the 7th via the coastal highway.

Does anyone have any suggestions for low- to mid-range places to stay in Dubrovnik (preferably convenient to the old city and with secure parking for the motorcycle?) I've not been to Croatia before; are there any driving pecularities or unusual road conditions of which I should be aware? Is there anything I should be sure not to miss while I'm there? I've got the Lonely Planet guide, but there's always more to see than Lonely Planet tells me about...

Thanks all!
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Rudl
Panthera tigris alpina

Oddometer: 106
Driving peculiarites or unusual road conditions: none, if you are coming from Napoli
The only thing to be aware of: If you stay on the coastal highway (Jadranska magistrale), you have to pass through a small part of Bosnia and Hercegovina, the town of Neum. This may or may not be an issue with your insurance company and the border guards. Best bet is to check upfront and to bring your green insurance card along. You can avoid this by going via the peninsula Peljesac and then using the ferry from Trpanj to Ploce. That way you stay entirely in Croatia.

On the other hand, if you enter Bosnia it may be worth going to Mostar. Other tings to see on the way: The mountains "behind" Makarska, called Biokovo. There is a nice road up there (identified by the number 512 on Google Maps). Then there are the islands Korcula and Hvar, but doing both is probably not feasible on such a short trip. For Hvar, you might use the Drvenik to Sucuraj ferry and then ride Hvar in its entire length and then catch a ferry from the town of Hvar (or nearby Stari Grad) to Split. A little bit "up" the Adriatic Sea from Split, there is the historic town of Trogir, which is really nicely set both on the mainland and an island. Dubrovnik and Split aren't to be missed, but those are probably the highlights of your trip anyway.

Enjoy!
Rudl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
abnslr OP
rides a motorcycle

Thanks!

Yes, the driving and riding here is, well, interesting. My daily commute is a bit sporty. Not sporty in the fun way -- sporty in the "Oh my Dog I'm gonna DIE!" way. Somehow I've survived it so far.

One of the biggest issues I've run into here has been rain, which makes the secondary road surfaces in southern Italy surprisingly slippery. I've been told it's because the Italians mix marble chips into their asphalt, but I don't know if that't true. I do know that a. even my Jeep slides around on wet roads here and b. when the weather is clear, warm and dry, in some places I can reflections in the road surface of stuff off to the side.

I'd heard there were some checkpoints along the highway, but friends of mine have made it through them despite grim soldiers they described as "Soviet border guards in grey uniforms." I do want to see as much of the balkans as possible in this very short time, though, so I think I will try to work Mostar in too.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
I'm planning on taking a short trip to Croatia this coming weekend -- ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik the night of the 4th, and ferry Split to Ancona the night of the 7th. I'm planning to spend the nights of the 5th and 6th in Dubrovnik, then head up to Split early the morning of the 7th via the coastal highway.

Does anyone have any suggestions for low- to mid-range places to stay in Dubrovnik (preferably convenient to the old city and with secure parking for the motorcycle?) I've not been to Croatia before; are there any driving pecularities or unusual road conditions of which I should be aware? Is there anything I should be sure not to miss while I'm there? I've got the Lonely Planet guide, but there's always more to see than Lonely Planet tells me about...

Thanks all!
Here's a site that I've used for years in all corners of the world when looking for lodging.http://www.booking.com/index.html?ai...FSfMtAod8nsAZw

The coastal road from Split to Dubrovnik is a great ride. You may never see water that is so blue. This is part of Old Dubrovnik with Lokrum Island just a 10 minute ferry ride away.

This is a local on Lokrum.

Old Dubrovnik.

The short shot through Bosnia was just a wave.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
CourtFisher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Quote:
SNIP
Does anyone have any suggestions for low- to mid-range places to stay in Dubrovnik (preferably convenient to the old city and with secure parking for the motorcycle?) SNIP
Thanks all!
Don't know what "low-to mid-range" means to you, but
http://www.dubrovnikbedandbreakfast....ices/index.htm
at 79 Euros per night
is the most convenient & comfortable B&B, immediately outside
old city east gate, with "secure" parking across the road.
Owner also very bike-friendly and helpful.
CourtFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
abnslr OP
rides a motorcycle

CourtFisher -- thank you. I did end up staying at the Dubrovnik B&B and was very impressed for several reasons, not the least of which was that one of the owners, Srdan Gizdic, was incredibly helpful after I suffered a mishap on the way to Split after checking out. I may be posting a thread in Face Plant later once police and insurance are finished doing their things, and I have a better idea of how events will settle out.

Beware elderly Bosnian nuns in Volkswagens...
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Rudl
Panthera tigris alpina

Oddometer: 106
Eek

That's bad!
Hope you are ok!
Rudl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
abnslr OP
rides a motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudl View Post
That's bad!
Hope you are ok!
Thanks. I'm ok (lots of x-rays to confirm that yesterday -- just bruised, as suspected) but insurance is still trying to figure out what to do about the motorcycle. I'm hoping that they'll get it fixed in Split or truck it to Austria or Munich, but no word yet. I'm rather attached to it, as it's my first new vehicle ever and only had about 2,300 miles on it at the time of the accident.

I feel like I've been justified in my choices in protective gear at least -- Vanson leathers jacket with hard armor, Motoport kevlar trousers, and Nolan helmet -- and I'm just bruised. To be fair, I think the heavy Pelican case luggage played a large part in that too...

Now I just have to fight the insurance fight.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,870
Glad you're okay.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
abnslr OP
rides a motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Glad you're okay.
Thanks Wildman -- so am I.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Good news that you weren't seriously hurt. A shame about the bike. I remember when you were wringing your hands about how to get it back south in the cold. (If I'm wrong, please don't tell me. Memory fade approaches. ). Stay zen.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
abnslr OP
rides a motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
Good news that you weren't seriously hurt. A shame about the bike. I remember when you were wringing your hands about how to get it back south in the cold. (If I'm wrong, please don't tell me. Memory fade approaches. ). Stay zen.
RTLover,
I think you're thinking of one of my fellow transient Neapolitans (don't feel bad -- there are lots of us) regarding the winter southbound transit -- xavier if I remember correctly -- my bike wasn't ready for pick-up until the end of June this year. I've still got hope at this point that it'll get fixed courtesy of the full coverage insurance for which I'm paying incredibly high premiums here and I'll be able to ride it home (and a lot of other places over the next few years.) If things don't work out well, though, I may be planning for a similar southbound journey in snowy weather, since I don't intend to be without a motorcycle for long if I can avoid it.

abnslr screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 01:26 PM Reason: 'cause I can't spell worth sh!t
Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #13
abnslr OP
rides a motorcycle

Quote:
...I'm hoping that they'll get it fixed in Split or truck it to Austria or Munich, but no word yet. I'm rather attached to it, as it's my first new vehicle ever and only had about 2,300 miles on it at the time of the accident...
Insurance says total loss.

The payment looks quite fair, but still seriously bummed. I shouldn't get so attached to vehicles.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Insurance says total loss.

The payment looks quite fair, but still seriously bummed. I shouldn't get so attached to vehicles.
That's quite natural. But personally, I don't think I'd want a bike that had been seriously damaged regardless of how good the repair had been. Always a nagging feeling that something will break at the worst moment. Get a new scoot and start over. As long as you don't have any serious damage yourself, you're money ahead. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #15
abnslr OP
rides a motorcycle

You're right of course, on both counts. I'll start looking for a new ride as soon as I get all the logistic entanglements from this sorted out.