Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_C View Post
The United States of America mandates that all parts must be available for 10 years. After that, some stuff could become unobtanium....
OEM parts are still available for KTMs produced in the early 90s. 990 parts aren't gonna be an issue for a long, long, time.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
Pistolero
W. F. O.

Oddometer: 744

I do have faith in KTM however... I hope the 1190 is an improvement... Time will tell...
Pistolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
OEM parts are still available for KTMs produced in the early 90s. 990 parts aren't gonna be an issue for a long, long, time.
This.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Anibody want to trade a 950Adv for a 990Adv?

I miss carbs.......

Sad but understandbale, there ain't much market for 2 big models of the same make. Economics...

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
gbravo
German

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kruk View Post
It looks like KTM made the same mistake as Honda replacing Africa Twin with Varadero
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yamaha also, at least they rethought and returned with Super Tenere
gbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #21
Nirvana
n00b

Oddometer: 8
How will this play out in the U.S. market? We aren't supposed to see the 1190 until MY 2014. Will KTM still build and ship 990's for MY 2013?
Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 AM   #22
K2m

Oddometer: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgaras View Post
When one model have stopped of manufacturing , the company have to offer parts for a some kind of period. This period is 10 years, I think
I'm raceing 36 y/old bikes and have no trouble with getting parts. This bike is so popular you will always get parts. A bigger problem, for all of us, will be getting hi quality petrol........... :-(

I think this is already starting to be a problem in the US
K2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #23
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m View Post
A bigger problem, for all of us, will be getting hi quality petrol........... :-(

I think this is already starting to be a problem in the US

Me thinks the problem will be affording petrol!

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #24
bikepharmer
Baja is on the way

Oddometer: 133
All Hearsay so far...

I am skeptical that KTM will discontinue their best selling bike. The KTM 990 fills in where the F800GS and Tiger 800XC were introduced (maybe even the reason these other bike came out , and the 1190 fills in where the big GS, the Ducati Multistrada, Tiger Explorer, Super Tenere, etc etc.

If you think about it, their product line is a bit thin compared to other companies...at least in the street. I think they are growing, and making good decisions about new development.

Now...they could do something about the heat management and tank venting for the 990.
bikepharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #25
Thomasttom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Don't know what's it worth but talked to my ktm dealer today and he told me that ktm will continue producing the 990 ADV even after the arrival of the 1190 cause the market is still there for the 990. He may have more info on that at the beginning of next week at their ktm meeting.
Thomasttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #26
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasttom View Post
Don't know what's it worth but talked to my ktm dealer today and he told me that ktm will continue producing the 990 ADV even after the arrival of the 1190 cause the market is still there for the 990. He may have more info on that at the beginning of next week at their ktm meeting.
Was told the some thing by my dealer today also, he said that he has talked to the KTM people and there is going to be 2 kinds of 1190's, like the BMW 1200 GS one for 1190 Adventure for the street and one for offroad.
forrestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #27
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2m View Post
I'm raceing 36 y/old bikes and have no trouble with getting parts. This bike is so popular you will always get parts
People would be surprised at how available & cheap many of our "old" parts are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_C View Post
The United States of America mandates that all parts must be available for 10 years
Not true- however some manufacturers (Honda comes to mind) have simply quit selling OEM parts for models over ? years old.

KTM NA has a modern warehouse full of parts they buy from KTM Austria- stacked floor to ceiling. Some are out of production but there is still inventory scattered around the globe. We shouldn't have an issue for years to come. If in doubt stock up- you could always sell them in the future!

I just bought the last complete Husaberg 570 engine (built in 2009) KTM/Husaberg NA had in the country for a customer who lost his big-end bearing.

When the parts are gone, they're gone.
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #28
Tom_C
probably wrecked

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post

Not true- however some manufacturers (Honda comes to mind) have simply quit selling OEM parts for models over ? years old.

After some research, I stand corrected. Apparently, the "10 year rule" is a pretty big myth that a lot of people, including myself, have perpetuated over the years. Did read something about the govt saying in the 60's that there had to be parts for 20 years, only to be recinded in the 80s, but I only saw it once, and I never believe anything I only see once on the internet... :)

Only thing Fed's mandate is some emmissions stuff, otherwise the manufacturer decides.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #29
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepharmer View Post
I am skeptical that KTM will discontinue their best selling bike. The KTM 990 fills in where the F800GS and Tiger 800XC were introduced (maybe even the reason these other bike came out , and the 1190 fills in where the big GS, the Ducati Multistrada, Tiger Explorer, Super Tenere, etc etc.

If you think about it, their product line is a bit thin compared to other companies...at least in the street. I think they are growing, and making good decisions about new development.

Now...they could do something about the heat management and tank venting for the 990.
This is what I thought, however a post over on the UK KTM forum was from a chap talking to the Head to KTM Switzerland. 990 Adv production is already stopped, and in the UK they are having discounts on shifting the existing ones prior to the 1190.

Pinching his words:
"Well Gentlemen - I just recently had a chat to the head of KTM Switzerland and I am sorry to inform you, that the days of our beloved 950/990 are numbered. KTM already stopped manufacturing the 950/990 Adventure. The same goes for the SM-T. Both bikes will be available as long they have them stocked in their warehouse. After that?"
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #30
Wantajustride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I find this thread rather interesting and timely. I just started looking to buy a new 2011 or 2012 990R. My local dealer says he can get one for me but I have some reservations as to the seat height of the bike.

Specs say it's,,, give or take 1" shorter in seat height than my 690R. I seem to get along well on the 690 even though I can't come close to standing flat footed. I can barely put both feet on the ground touching only with tippy toes. So I just counter balance the bike with one foot on the ground and one foot on the peg. But the 690 is quite a bit lighter so I would think it's much easier to balance than it's bigger brother.

If any of you have both the 690R and the 990R can you tell me, does the 990R sit 1" lower than the 690? I don't have a demo model to look at or test ride locally so I'd be taking some risk ordering / buying the 990R before I see the bike in person. But if it's anything like the balance and feel of the 690 I'd have absolutely no regrets.

I really don't want to miss out on the opportunity to own what I think will be a classic ADV bike. Let alone the fact that it's one of the best looking.

WJR
"Walking thru life to an unknown destination and trying to enjoy the adventure getting there"
Wantajustride is offline   Reply With Quote