Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 AM   #211
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,483
big bikes are dumb. Look at this jackass on his 950. Seriously?

Dual Sport Loop - Talihina, OK to Mena, AR from Jason Penneman on Vimeo.

CodyY screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 06:39 AM
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #212
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
It would appear so, he just called me Adolf in another thread... I must have missed the memo that living in Austria makes you a Nazi or something?
I don't think you are a Nazi.

I just want to know if you live near Falco.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #213
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
As far as I know, no suspension upgrades for a 230L- or I would have done so.

I have been thinking and looking, and I think I could remove the tool kit on the back opposite the muffler, and mount the 1.5 gal Kolpin there. I estimate that the Giant Loop would fit over the Kolpin ok. Coud be the final piece of the puzzle!
Yeah, I started looking around, and they don't make shit for that bike.
Suspension, fuel tanks, shock, oil coolers, NADA.

Regardless about how I feel about you personally, that sucks for 230L owners everywhere.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #214
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,538
I think there are a number of things you could do with a little ingenuity.

The 230f version has more suspension travel, yet appears to have the same size forks. Search for some ebay parts it looks easy enough to do a transplant. Even it you do not want to do that, stock or aftermarket springs can be cut to length.

I suspect the bike has damping rod front suspension, a simple change in oil viscosity can make the forks better.

I have a cheap source for rear springs, . http://www.eshocks.com/hyp_make.asp Springs are measured by their inner diameter.

I own a KLX 650C. Imported 4 years and no aftermarket. I changed the oil weight in the forks. I could add spacers to get proper sag. I could search for another spring from any KTM with 43usd forks and cut to length.
Turned out the oil change was good enough.

I grafted on a Showa shock from a DRZ 400, resprung and revalved it. So much better than stock. My bike has a big bore from Germany at the time. Too much sag in the rear? Make/shorten the suspension links. It raises the rear and increases the effective spring rate. 5mm shorter links from a 2010 KLX 250s worked on my bike.

It looks like BBR has big bore and high compression pistons for the F version, can't be that different.

You have fuel options. http://nomadtanks.com.au/

You just have to look outside the box. It is time consuming, surely there are site specific websites for your bike. Maybe some one has already invented the wheel.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 09:44 AM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #215
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
I am get one of these to take with my on my big bike for those tight sections:
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #216
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I am get one of these to take with my on my big bike for those tight sections:
I was wondering what the **** that thing was.... I just watched the video, hilarious! where do the panniers go?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #217
hubb255
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Tried to find some videos of the CDR. All the ones I found were fairly flat desert riding. The map looks like it goes up through the mountains. Some of the trail has to be more ineresting isnt it?
hubb255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #218
screamin injin
FUBAR

Oddometer: 2,513
Rule #46- Don't ride a bike you can't pick up by yourself.
My xr650 has taken many naps on the road and trail, but I always managed to get it upright.
screamin injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #219
hubb255
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Maybe try this?

ADVNCW, Surfing and found this at .http://motomule.com Might have to have one of these myself! Heck I would use it to take the garbage to the dump!
hubb255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #220
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Thumb Good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDancer View Post
You having fun on it? Ride it some more then..
Good advice! I tried other more expensive motorcycles, for my stated reasons I will continue to enjoy my CRF230L little dog
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #221
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckid View Post
Between the better half and myself, we currently own a CRF230L, WR250X, KLX351, and BMW G650X-country. We just sold my Husky SM610. I have to agree with you that the 230L is super easy to ride on difficult trails, and that can be a big benefit. It's light weight, and low stature make is easy to handle, and it requires almost no maintenance and is super dependable. But for us, that's pretty much where the advantage stops. Neither of us particularly likes the bike. But my husband keeps it, because as a novice trail rider, it inspires confidence. Yet he complains almost every time he rides it! When he rides the 230L, I ride my KLX. The KLX goes over washboard, ruts, and washouts in luxury, while the little Honda bottoms out and rattles your teeth out. The KLX is pretty smooth, while the 230L vibrates you to death.

Then there's the WR. It runs smoother than the KLX, but for me the powerband of the KLX is better for the way I ride off-road than the WR. You have to keep the rev's up on the WR, but the KLX can be lugged and not complain. The WR suspension is stiffer. I'm super light, so I find the KLX works better for me suspension-wise off-road, but the WR would be better for heavier and more aggressive riders. The WR seems to be higher quality than the KLX overall, and if I ever get down to one bike, it will be the one. But for now I like it for pavement and fire roads, while the KLX is my off-road choice. We prefer the bigger bikes (although my 610 is now gone) for pavement and the occasional smooth fire road. They're too heavy to be fun off-road.

Powerwise, any of the bikes I've mentioned will blow away the 230L. A WR would be a nice step up for you, but the KLX is worth considering too, although I definitely recommend the 351 kit if you get it.
Thanks for taking the time to give input. I have now ridden on two different WR250R motorcycles. Nice. Not as good low-end as my 230L- more important to me than HP. Nice handling, great motorcycle.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 09:44 AM
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #222
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Talking Brought home a WR250R

Brought this home today-

Will fix it up to ride the CDR late next summer and to/ from. Will pull stuff off like BigDog or Rick Ramsey to lighten it up. Then I plan to add a 4.7 gal gas tank with the foam to control the fuel sloshing, Seat Concepts (as on the 230L), plastic skid plate (no noise...had some with the alu skid plate on the 230L), probably some wide footpegs since I really like the ones on the 230L from XRs Only, transfer the TCI windshield from the 230L to the WRR. Probably will get some D606s on it near the dirt after using the TWs to get there. Will plan to use my Giant Loop Great Basin and 40L dry bag for my gear and camp, and will plan to camp most of the time on the Forest (free).

Got the maps, shopping and trying to understand gps- I have used map and compass since 1965 when I was a Cub Scout. I find the whole gps thing pisses me off at times...fricken $$ and add maps and bla bla- I did the WABDR just fine without a gps, not to mention traveling in the '70s AK Hwy and some BC dirt roads with just road maps. Will probably buy a moderate priced gps since I will have good maps.

FYI I would like the 230L fine on the CDR, but getting it there and shipping it and me back would be nearly 1/2 of what I paid for the WRR, and most of what paid for the 230L! The WRR will cruise to and from well enough. One day to the CDR start in MT, three days back to home from the CDR in NM. Not as likely to collect speeding tickets on the WRR like I did on the GT750 two stroke back in the day...

Thanks to the guys with great input, especially the WRR guys

ADVNCW screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 11:04 PM
Old 11-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #223
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer: 172
envious of the pictures

I'm often envious of the pictures of some remote places that some of you guys post. I've been so close to many of those places, but missed for the sake of a few miles of impassable roads. I ride a fully loaded Vstrom with Tourance regular tires. So far it has taken me to all 10 provinces and 42 states; but sure I've missed a lot of gnarly roads. I've been licensed since 1969 and used to ride a 250 enduro machine that took me way too deep into swamps and down many dead end trails. I don't miss the dirt and mud very often; and I sure do enjoy the opportunity so ride and see so much of North America that I never imagined I would.
My 2007 DL 1000 Vstrom runs flawlessly and I love it. But fully loaded and on rough uneven ground she can be an large unfriendly pig and very difficult to get back. When riding solo, gravel forest access roads in dry conditions are my sensible and safe limit.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #224
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin injin View Post
Rule #46- Don't ride a bike you can't pick up by yourself.
My xr650 has taken many naps on the road and trail, but I always managed to get it upright.
I agree,watching "The long way around" and once they get to the dirt sections those 700lb when loaded GS's dont look like a lot of fun.
Just imagine if they had rode a 650 single of some sort and didnt carry so much crapola with them.
All the time wasted welding frames,picking bikes up,falling down in the first place.

Why ride a whale?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #225
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by 568V8 View Post
I'm often envious of the pictures of some remote places that some of you guys post. I've been so close to many of those places, but missed for the sake of a few miles of impassable roads. I ride a fully loaded Vstrom with Tourance regular tires. So far it has taken me to all 10 provinces and 42 states; but sure I've missed a lot of gnarly roads. I've been licensed since 1969 and used to ride a 250 enduro machine that took me way too deep into swamps and down many dead end trails. I don't miss the dirt and mud very often; and I sure do enjoy the opportunity so ride and see so much of North America that I never imagined I would.
My 2007 DL 1000 Vstrom runs flawlessly and I love it. But fully loaded and on rough uneven ground she can be an large unfriendly pig and very difficult to get back. When riding solo, gravel forest access roads in dry conditions are my sensible and safe limit.
I took my 650 Strom offroad in Baja once due to missing a turn earlier and we took a "shortcut",ditches,rocks,sand,hard edged chuck holes.........
I honestly thought the front nosecone was going to snap off,how I didnt dent a rim I have no idea. Stroms arent meant to be in the dirt what so ever. Some persist but not me. My DR650 or 530EXCR have taken the Strom's place.