Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
Copying Garmin Topo Maps

I have the Garmin 24K Topo maps on disc. Can I legally make copies of these discs for my own use? For the record-- I have NEVER cut the labels off of mattresses and I don't want the FBI after me for doing something illegal with Garmin's high priced, but not lockable, Topo maps

If it's legal, HOW?.
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #2
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
I believe the 24k maps use the same unlock code system as the City Navigator maps. So if that is the case, make as many copies as you want because the cd/dvd isn't unique, but the unlock code is.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,010
Garmin 24K topo maps are not locked to a particular device.

According to GPStracklog.com (HERE) the Garmin 24K topo maps in DVD and uSD formats are not locked and can be used on multiple devices:

"Garmin recently finished rolling out their new TOPO US 24K map sets. They are available as downloads and on micro-SD cards, with larger regions available on DVD. All three formats can be purchased directly from Garmin as well as various retailers. The new product offers several advantages including routable trails and detailed highway coverage, and the DVD and micro-SD formats are not locked to a single device, so you can still use them if you buy a new unit."

FWIW, gpscity.com says the same thing...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 08:34 AM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
renogeorge OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
Copying is Legal

OK. I already have the Topo disc and it appears to be legal to make a copy as a backup. In trying to copy the North Central Topo, I am running into a problem with the file being too large for a single DVD. This is probably my general lack of computer knowledge as opposed to a GPS issue. But how do I get the backup copy made? Compress? Multiple DVDs?

I tried compressing the Garmin files but the compressed file was merged in with the un compressed and I couldn't isolate it and burn to disc When I try to burn to a blank DVD, I get a message that the file is too big for the DVD. I never get an option to use a second disc.

I am using a PC running Windows 7, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for all the help!!!
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Buy some double layer DVDs (8.5 gb) as long as your burner is capable of using them. I don't know about being able to spread the data over multiple DVDs.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Garmin 24K topo maps are not locked to a particular device.

According to GPStracklog.com (HERE) the Garmin 24K topo maps in DVD and uSD formats are not locked and can be used on multiple devices:

"Garmin recently finished rolling out their new TOPO US 24K map sets. They are available as downloads and on micro-SD cards, with larger regions available on DVD. All three formats can be purchased directly from Garmin as well as various retailers. The new product offers several advantages including routable trails and detailed highway coverage, and the DVD and micro-SD formats are not locked to a single device, so you can still use them if you buy a new unit."

FWIW, gpscity.com says the same thing...
Thanks for checking that out. I knew the sd version wasn't locked since that's what I have.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
I cut the labels off mattresses and I always make backup copies of those expensive discs I get from Garmin in case something goes wrong with the original.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote